Cervical spondylosis is another name for osteoarthritis in the joints of the vertebrae in the neck. It is very commonly seen in different ages groups especially the older people. The main cause for this condition is the wear and tear of the cartilage, tissues and bones of cervical spine. This is a degenerative disease where bony surfaces of cervical vertebrae have lost their cartilage lining. “Spondylitis” is a term used to describe the inflammation in the joints.
Causes of Cervial Spondylosis
The following are the other causes of cervical spondylosis.
- Dehydrated discs
- Herniated discs
- Bone spurs
- Stiff ligaments
- Stress on the neck
- Neck injuries
- Incorrect posture
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Genetic factors
Symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis
- Neck pain
- Mild or chronic pain around the shoulder blades
- Stiffness in neck
- Muscle weakness
- Pain along the arms and fingers
- Tingling sensation in the shoulders and arms
- Loss of balance
Remedies for Cervical Spondylosis
The main objectives of the treatment of Cervical Spondilyosis are reduction of pain and restoration of functions. Doctors might prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs to ease the pain and inflammation to a certain extent. But these medicines have some side effects. To avoid the unwanted side effects of these medicines it is better to opt for the following home remedies, which are easy to follow and show positive results in limited time period.
The major cause of cervical spondylosis is lack of exercise and long hours of sitting in the same position. So exercise is a must for people suffering from this condition. Physiotherapy and exercise are extremely beneficial for people suffering from this condition. Keeping the joints in motion and stretching the muscles helps in lubrication of the cervical joints.
- Stretch the arms in front to the level of the shoulders and rotate the wrist clockwise and anti-clockwise
- Fold your arms touching your shoulders and rotate the arms clockwise and anti-clockwise in the same position
- Head and neck exercises such as moving the neck up and down and moving to the sides
- Rotate the neck clockwise and anti-clockwise
- Shoulder exercises such as lifting the shoulders up and down and rotating it clockwise and anti-clockwise
All the above mentioned exercise must be done at least 5-10 times several times a day to get relief from the pain and discomfort.
2. Hot and Cold Compress
Using hot and cold compress alternatively is an easy way to deal with the pain during cervical. It improves blood circulation, relaxes the muscles and reduces swelling and inflammation.
- Make a hot compress by wrapping a hot water bag in a thin towel
- Make a cold compress by wrapping few ice cubes in a thin towel
- Place the hot compress on the affected area for 2-3 minutes
- Then place the cold compress on the affected area for one minute
- Repeat the process several times for at least 15-20 minutes until the pain is gone
3. Epsom salt
Epsom salt is a great home ingredient used for reducing inflammation and pain in any part of the body. Taking an Epsom salt bath has been proven to be beneficial in case of cervical spondylosis.
- Make a thick paste with Epsom salt and water
- Apply it on the affected area and keep it for 15-20 minutes
- Repeat the procedure every alternate day
- Alternatively, add two cups of Epsom salt to a warm bath tub.
- Soak the affected area for 15-20 minutes while enjoying the relaxing bath.
Note: People with kidney problems, heart problems and diabetes must not follow this remedy.
Garlic’s anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties show great results when it comes to treating cervical spondylosis. It helps in reducing the pain and swelling in the neck and surrounding areas.
- Eat a couple of raw garlic cloves in the morning on empty stomach followed by a glass of water
- Alternatively, crush few garlic cloves and heat it along with olive oil or mustard oil
- Massage this oil on the neck and shoulders and leave it for sometime
- Follow it with a warm water bath
- Repeat the procedure up to two times a day for several weeks until relief
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties and so it is widely used as a main ingredient in most of the Indian dishes. It helps in improving the blood circulation and reduces stiffness and pain in the muscles.
- Mix one tablespoon of turmeric powder to a glass of milk and heat it for 5 minutes
- Strain the “golden milk” and add a spoon of honey to it
- Drink this twice a day to reduce pain during cervical spondylosis
- Turmeric capsules can also be taken after doctor’s advice
6. Sesame seeds
Sesame seeds are rich in calcium, magnesium, manganese, copper, zinc, phosphorus and vitamin K and D which are good for the bone health. It is one of the popular Ayurvedic remedies used in the curing cervical spondylosis.
- Massage the affected are with warm sesame oil and follow it with a hot compress
- For more effectiveness, add few drops of lavender oil in the warm sesame oil and massage for 10 minutes
- Repeat the massage 3 to 4 times a day depending on the severity of the pain
- Alternatively, it is recommended to take one spoon of roasted sesame seeds along with a glass of warm milk
It is easy to cure spondylosis when these remedies and exercises are followed consistently. Dietary changes and healthy lifestyle can effectively ward off this medical condition and prevent it from recurring later in life.
- HOW TO CURE IRREGULAR PERIODS NATURALLY?
- HOME REMEDIES TO GET RID OF SPLIT ENDS