Itchy scalp can be embarrassing as well as uncomfortable especially in public. It also denotes a serious health condition which can cause severe damages to the scalp and may even lead to permanent baldness. It should be treated at the earliest to avoid further damage to the scalp and hair follicles. It is better to consult a dermatologist when the condition starts to worsen. Mostly the doctors prescribe anti-fungal shampoos or lotions to get rid of the itchiness. But natural remedies or home remedies are as efficient as these OTC drugs and can remove the scalp infections easily.
Reasons for Itchy Scalp
There are quite a number of reasons for itchy scalp like,
• Seborrheic dermatitis
• Improper hygiene
• Not washing the hair regularly
• Pollution and dust
• Excessive sweat
• Loss of nutrients
Any of the below remedies can be followed as per the convenience or availability of the ingredients to get rid of itchy scalp.
1. Tea Tree Oil
It is the best home remedy for all sorts of skin infections. It kills the infection causing agents in the skin and hair due to its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. It also reduces the micro-inflammations on the scalp that often leads to painful bumps that causes itching. It clears all the clogged hair follicles and dandruff.
• Mix few drops of tea tree oil in a cup of water and apply this to the scalp by dipping a cotton ball in it.
• Mix 3-4 drops of tea tree oil in warm olive oil and apply it on the scalp. Leave it for couple of hours and rinse it using mild shampoo.
• You can also mix 10-20 drops of tea tree oil in a baby shampoo and use it regularly for washing the hair.
• Make a tea tree oil rinse by adding 5-10 drops of tea tree oil in water just enough to rinse the hair.
• Use tea tree oil based hair products if the itchy scalp condition worsens to severe dandruff.
2. Aloe vera
Aloe vera has antipruritic properties that help in relieving itching and irritation anywhere in the body. The gylcoproteins present in aloe vera gel helps in moisturizing the scalp and prevent dandruff and flakiness. It acts as a great lubricant and forms a protective shield on the surface of the skin thereby preventing fungi or yeast infections. It can be used for itchy scalp because the enzymes in aloe vera helps in exfoliating the dead skin cells and promote healthy hair growth.
• Aloe vera gel is available in the natural form or you can also used store-bought aloe gel.
• Slice an aloe vera leaf and extract the clear gel
• Apply it evenly on the shampooed hair and massage for 5-10 minutes
• Leave it for another 10-15 minutes and rinse the hair with normal water
3. Sesame Oil
Sesame oil has soothing properties that relives the scalp from itchiness and flaky skin. It restores the moisture in the hair and retains the natural oils of the scalp without drying it out. It functions as a coolant when applied on hair and repairs the damage caused by heat, Sun or dust. This can be added to other essential oils to enhance its effects.
• Heat sesame oil until it’s bearably warm
• Add one spoon of lemon to two spoons of warm sesame oil
• Massage it on the scalp for 5-10 minutes
• Wrap the head with a warm towel and leave it for half an hour
• Wash the hair with a mild shampoo
4. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a great remedy to cure hair and skin related problems. It contains anti-bacterial properties that combats follicultitis and other fungal infections like scalp ringworm. Coconut oil is great for alleviating the problem of itchy scalp forever when used regularly. It tames the dry and frizzy hair by providing nourishment and protection against harsh weather. It also helps in growing long and silky hair and prevents dandruff, grey hair and itchy scalp altogether.
• Heat the coconut oil until it is bearably warm or it can also be used at normal temperatures after melting it in case it is solidified.
• Massage the oil in the scalp and roots for 10 minutes
• Wrap the head with a towel soaked in warm water
• Let it work for 2-3 hours or you can even keep it overnight by wearing a shower cap instead of the warm towel.
• Wash it off with a mild shampoo
5. Baking Soda
The lack of proper exfoliation of scalp leads to the deposition of dead skin cells which builds up dandruff and causes itching. Baking soda removes all dead skin cells from the scalp and reduces itching and irritation.
• Make a paste of baking soda and water
• Apply olive oil on the hair and scalp
• Apply the baking soda paste on the itchy scalp
• Leave it for 15-20 minutes
• Wash it with plenty of water
• Keep changing the hair care products because using the same product leads to build-ups which ultimately causes itchy scalp
• Use alcohol-free and chemical-free hair products
• Dry the hair thoroughly after a wash
• Use a clean hair brush
• Protect your hair from direct sunlight and pollution
• Take immediate measures to get rid of lice if any
• Eat healthy diet – omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin A, B, C and E, Zinc
• Keep yourself hydrated
• Get oil massage at least once a week
• Never use hot water to wash the hair
• Maintain hygiene
- HOME REMEDIES TO GET RID OF SPLIT ENDS
- HOME REMEDIES TO TREAT ASTIGMATISM