Bad breath is known as halitosis in medical terms. It can be embarrassing and may even bring down the confidence of the person. There might be several reasons for bad breathe which corresponds to the underlying health issues. The primary cause of bad breathe is the bacterial build up on the back of the tongue or between the teeth. It is essential to maintain good oral hygiene by brushing the teeth, flossing and tongue scrapping. Also, drinking lots of water throughout the day prevents the bacterial build up and keeps away bad breath.
Causes of Bad Breath
The following are the causes of bad breath,
- Eating odorous food
- Dry mouth
- Medical condition
- Gum disease
- Bacterial build-up on the tongue
- Poor oral hygiene
- Hormonal imbalance
Home Remedies to Cure Bad Breath
Apart from brushing regularly and drinking water, there are several home remedies that help in getting rid of bad breath. These remedies make use of easily available ingredients that we use in our kitchen. The following are the top 10 remedies to cure bad breath problem completely.
Fennel is an excellent mouth freshener and this is the reason why restaurants serve sugar coated fennel seeds or plain fennel seeds after the meal. It has anti-microbial properties that fight bacteria inside the mouth and prevent bad breath.
- Chew a teaspoon of fennel seeds after a heavy lunch or dinner. This stimulates the production of saliva and freshens the breath.
- Bring to boil a cup of water and add a spoonful of fennel seeds to it
- Allow it to steep for 5-10 minutes and strain the mixture
- Drink this fennel tea once or twice a day to notice results
Cloves are strong flavored spices that are used for many purposes. It has anti-bacterial properties and also helps in treating abscessed tooth and tooth sensitivity problems.
- Pop 2-3 cloves in the mouth and chew it for 10-15 minutes
- Spit the residue and rinse the mouth with warm water
- Alternatively, clove tea made by steeping few cloves in hot water, can also be used to treat bad breath
- Drink this tea by adding a spoon of honey
- This solution can also be used as a mouthwash twice a day
Parsley is an excellent diuretic that eliminates all toxins from the body and aids in digestion. It contains chlorophyll that helps in neutralizing bad breathe.
- Chew some fresh parsley leaves to refresh the breath instantly
- Parsley can also be dipped in vinegar and then chewed on it
- Another option is to juice some parsley leaves and sip the juice as and when required
4. Lemon Juice
Lemon has been used since generations to cure bad breath problem. It is acidic in nature and so it doesn’t allow the bacteria to grow in the mouth. It helps in controlling bad breath as well as dry mouth problems.
- Extract juice from one whole lemon and mix with a cup of water and a pinch of salt
- Rinse your mouth with this solution once or twice a day
- Alternatively, you can also drink a glass of unsweetened lemon juice in the morning
Cinnamon contains cinnamic aldehyde, an essential oil that is used in treating bad breath problem. It acts as an antibacterial which inhibits the growth of bacteria in the mouth.
- Boil one spoon of cinnamon powder along with a cup of water
- Add some bay leaves and cardamom
- Strain the solution and use it as a mouthwash twice a day
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a great remedy to cure bad breath due to its pH balancing effects. It should be used in raw and unfiltered form to reap maximum benefits from it. It not only cures bad breath but also aids in digestion.
- Mix one spoon of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water and drink it before every meal
- You can simple make a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water by mixing both ingredients in equal parts.
- Use this as a gargle once or twice a day
7. Baking Soda
- Baking soda or bicarbonate of soda is another great ingredient when it comes to curing bad breath. It helps in balancing the acid levels that causes bad breath. It has anti-bacterial properties that fights bacteria inside the mouth and maintains oral hygiene.
- Mix one-half teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water
- Use it as mouth rinse once daily
- Brushing the teeth with baking soda also helps in preventing the bacterial build-up and whitens the teeth
Mint has a compound named menthol which has freshening effects. It controls the bad breath and keeps the mouth fresh for long time.
- Chewing 3-4 mint leaves after meals help in digestion and removing bad breath
- Add 2-3 drops of peppermint oil in a cup of water and swish it in the mouth
- Repeat this procedure 2-3 times a day for better results
9. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antiseptic properties and acts as a powerful disinfectant for the mouth. Here are the various ways you can use tea tree oil to control bad breath.
- Use a tea tree oil based toothpaste to brush your teeth
- You can also add few drops of tea tree oil on the toothbrush along with your regular toothpaste
- Alternatively, you can mix few drops of tea tree oil, peppermint oil and lemon oil in a glass and use it as a mouthwash
Regular tea as well as herbal teas is beneficial in controlling bad breath. The antioxidants present in the tea such as polyphenols, stop the bacterial growth and prevent the bad breath. Herbal tea like sage tea is highly effective to get rid of this problem.
- Steep one spoon of dried sage in a cup of hot water for 5 minutes
- Strain the tea and drink several times a day to reap its benefits
If the bad breath problem still persists after trying these home remedies, it might indicate any other health issue. So it is better to consult a doctor to get diagnosed completely and follow the prescriptions accordingly.
- Home Remedies for Anal Itching
- Home Remedies to Cure Armpit Lumps