Clogged arteries correspond to a condition in which deposits of fatty plaque within an artery leading to the heart or brain restricts blow flow. Due to this, the blood is unable to carry the oxygen and nutrients to the different organs and tissues of the body. This potentially damages the organs and prevents them from functioning properly. This is a serious condition which cannot be detected easily. It can be diagnosed during early stage when there is a beginning of an injury to the inner layer of an artery.
Factors Causing Clogged Artery
The following are the factors that contribute or worsen the problem of clogged artery.
- Excessive smoking
- High-fat diet
- Lack of physical exercise
- Being overweight
- Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol level
- Inflammatory disease
Health Issues Associated with Clogged Arteries
Clogged arteries often lead to many health issues such as,
- Coronary heart disease
- Carotid artery disease
- Peripheral artery disease
- Heart attack
Symptoms of Clogged Arteries
Clogged arteries do not exhibit significant symptoms in the early stage. It only shows when the problem becomes severe. The following are the symptoms,
- Chest pain (angina)
- Shortness of breath
- Heart palpitations
- Loss of appetite
Other symptoms associated with clogged arteries in different types of arteries are as follows,
- Leg pain
- Cold feet
- Numbness on one side of the body
- Inability to move an arm or leg
- Loss of vision on one side
Clogged arteries develop slowly and progressively and so it is important to get it diagnosed at an early stage itself. Several home remedies in addition to the regular prescription can help in preventing the condition from worsening or at least reduce the risk of a serious cardiovascular disease.
Home Remedies for Clogged Arteries
Garlic is one of the best home remedies for clogged arteries. It helps in widening the blood vessels and improves the blood circulation. According to a study conducted by the University of Alabama at Birmingham, it was inferred that garlic can help relax blood vessels by up to 72 percent more than a placebo. Moreover, garlic lowers bad cholesterol levels and reduces the risk of heart attacks or strokes.
How to Use?
- Add 3 chopped garlic cloves to a cup of milk and boil it
- Allow it to cool and drink it daily before going to bed
- Also, you can include garlic in cooking
- Garlic supplement can also be taken after consulting the doctor about the right dosage
Turmeric is another spice that can help in treating clogged arteries and make the heart healthy and more functional. Curcumin, a compound found in turmeric, has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. It helps in preventing blood platelets from forming clots. Turmeric extracts can also lower the level of low-density lipoproteins (LDL), or bad-cholesterol to reduce the buildup in arteries. It relaxes the blood vessels and reduces the risk of heart attack or stroke.
How to Use?
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of warm milk and add a little honey to it
- Drink it once or twice daily
- Turmeric supplements can also be taken after consulting a doctor. The usual recommended dosage is 400 to 600 mg thrice daily
- Include turmeric in cooking regularly
3. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper has a compound named capsaicin, which prevents bad cholesterol or LDL and oxidation. Bad cholesterol is one of the main reasons behind clogged arteries. It also improves blood circulation and reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke.
How to Use?
- Add half teaspoon of cayenne pepper to a cup of hot water
- Drink it 2 times a day for few weeks
- You can also take cayenne supplements after consulting a doctor
Lemon is high in vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that helps in improving blood pressure and reduces inflammation of the arteries. Also lemon lowers bad cholesterol levels and keeps the arteries clear by preventing oxidative damage in the blood stream.
How to Use?
- Mix the juice of one lemon in a glass of warm water
- Add a little honey and black pepper powder to it
- Drink it once or twice a day for weeks
- Alternatively, you may boil 1 tablespoon of lemon peels in 4 cups of water for 20 minutes
- Strain it and add some honey
- Drink one cup three to four times a day for several weeks
Ginger is another effective remedy for clogged arteries. It consists of compounds like gingerols and shogaols that have cardiovascular and blocking oxidation of LDL.
How to Use?
- Drink 2 to 3 cups of ginger tea daily
- Make the tea by adding 1 teaspoon of grated ginger to a cup of hot water
- Let it steep for 5 minutes, strain and add a little honey
- Alternatively, eat a small piece of raw ginger on an empty stomach daily
- You may also take ginger supplements after consulting the doctor as it causes gastric upset or heartburn in patients with gallbladder or gallstone problems
6. Fenugreek seeds
You may use fenugreek seeds to treat clogged arteries. These seeds have saponins that help in reducing the level of the artery-clogging LDL cholesterol. Moreover, the high amount of fiber in fenugreek seeds plays a key role in reducing the bad cholesterol from the body.
How to Use?
- Soak one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight
- The next morning, eat soaked seeds along with the water on an empty stomach
- Another option is to add one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds to a cup of water and boiling it for 5 minutes
- Strain the mixture and add a little honey to it
- Drink this mixture once or twice a day
The above remedies must be followed regularly for several month to maintain the cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Top Ways to Deal with COPD
- Home Remedies to Get Rid of Clogged Pores