Bunions are unusual, bony bump that appears at the base of the big toe where it attaches to the foot. It is caused due to uneven body weight falling on the joints and tendons of the foot. This makes the big toe to get bigger and stick out. Women are more prone to bunions than men. Some theories suggest that wearing tight, high-heeled and narrow shoes contribute to the development of these bony bumps.
Bunions are progressive in nature and it only gets worse over time. Natural treatments help in addressing the problem to a certain extent but in case of severe deformity, surgery is required to correct the problem.
Home Remedies for Bunion
Bunions often become sore and inflamed when left untreated. Applying ice on it is an effective way to relieve pain and inflammation in it. Due to cold temperature, the nerve ending become temporarily numb and thus provides relief from pain.
How to Use?
- Use an ice pack or put some crushed ice in a thin cotton towel
- Place it over the affected areas for 5 to 10 minutes
- Repeat this after an interval of 10 minutes
- This procedure can be done twice or thrice daily until the pain reduces
Massaging the affected areas is an effective option to alleviate this problem. Massage therapy helps in increasing the blood flow to that area and thus provides faster relief from pain and discomfort. Regular massages may even reduce the size of the bunion and makes the area less susceptible to corn and callus.
How to Use?
- Warm some castor oil or coconut oil or olive oil
- Rub it on the affected area
- Perform deep-friction massage using the fingers for 10-15 minutes
- Repeat this process twice or thrice a day for few weeks until results are noticed
Always seek assistance from a massage therapist to learn the right strokes to do it yourself. Also learn how to slow down or reverse the formation of bunions.
Exercises are very effective in treating any deformities in the body. It puts the muscles to work thereby reliving pain and discomfort. It also promotes flexibility and slows down the progress of bunion. Exercising daily helps in strengthening the muscles of legs and feet which prevent any such formations in the future. Consistently performing the below given exercises, prevents the need for surgery.
How to Do?
- Sit on a chair and place the foot on a tennis or golf ball
- Roll the ball beneath the mounds of the toes
- Also roll it anywhere else on the sole that feels tight
- Do this exercise for 5 to 10 minutes everyday
- Sitting on a chair, cup the sole of the affected foot in the palm
- Interlace the fingers of the free hand between the toes of the foot
- Bend the toes back and forth, upward and downward for 5 to 10 minutes
- Stand straight and point the toes straight for 10 seconds
- Curl them under for 10 seconds
The above are some of the important exercises to treat bunions which can easily be done at home. Similarly there are several other exercises which can be learnt from an expert.
Bunions due to arthritis cab be treated using epsom salt. It has high magnesium content which helps in regulating the pH levels in the body. It is useful in fighting inflammation and pain.
How to Use?
- Add some epsom salt to a tub of warm water and stir thoroughly
- Soak the affected foot in it until the water is cold
- Dry the foot thoroughly and then massage with olive or coconut oil
- Repeat this thrice a week
- Warm epsom salt soak also takes care of the corn, callus and common symptoms associated with bunions
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory property that reduces the swelling in bunions. Curcumin, a component present in turmeric has pain-blocking ability the helps in reducing inflammation.
How to Use?
- Turmeric can be tropically used by making a paste of ½ spoon of turmeric powder and olive oil
- Apply this directly on the bunion
- Repeat it 2 to 3 times a day for few weeks
- Turmeric can also be used orally by mixing 1 teaspoon of turmeric in a glass of lukewarm milk or water
- Alternatively, you can also take 400mg curcumin capsules thrice a day after consulting the doctor
Chamomile is an effective remedy that provides relief from bunions. It has anti-inflammatory property that helps in reducing pain and inflammation.
How to Use?
- Brew chamomile tea using chamomile tea bags and sip it while it is warm
- The used chamomile tea bag can be used directly on the bunion 3 to 4 times a day
- Massage the affected area with chamomile essential oil mixed with any of the carrier oils
- Massaging this oil mixture right before going to bed helps in improving the alignment of the toes
- Another option is to apply ointment available over the counter, made using chamomile to reduce the pain and inflammation
The above home remedies have been proven effective to a great extent in treating bunions. But severe cases can be corrected only under medical supervision.
- Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dark Spots on Skin
- Home Remedies to Treat Calluses