Astigmatism is the condition of the eye where there is a minor curvature in the eyes which causes blurred or imperfect vision. In astigmatism the structure of the eye is slightly deformed and thus it prevents the vision of normal images and structures. The cornea of the eye gets deformed or shows certain curvature. Usually the lens and cornea have same curvature but in this case there is a deviation in the surface of the eyes. The curvature in the cornea does not allow the image to be focused because if the refraction of the incoming light. Due to this the eyes develop impaired vision or astigmatism. This may lead to blurred vision or limit the vision for certain distances depending on the impairment of cornea. In most cases, it occurs due to birth defects. It usually accompanies farsightedness and nearsightedness. It is completely curable with corrective lenses and surgeries however in mild cases of Astigmatism, it is not needed. Several home remedies are helpful in curing this condition.
Causes of Astigmatism
Both cornea and lens are important part of eyes and the vision quality is affected if either one of them are impaired. The following are the various possible causes of Astigmatism.
- Refractive Error
- Corneal Astigmatism – incorrect curvature of cornea
- Lenticular Astigmatism – incorrect curvature of lens
- Birth defects
- Eye Injury
Myths of Astigmatism
While the above given conditions are the real causes of Astigmatism, many people have build myths that it is also caused due to,
- Sitting close to television
- Reading in poor light
- Reading in a moving vehicle
All these are total myths and do not directly cause Astigmatism by any means.
Symptoms of Astigmatism
The signs and symptoms of Astigmatism are similar to farsightedness and nearsightedness. They are,
- Blurred vision
- Strain on eyes
- Mild or severe headaches
However it is not necessary that all the three symptoms persist in the same person affect with Astigmatism. Many people have reported difficulty in proceeding with their daily activities due to this disorder. It is better to consult an ophthalmologist and get this checked at the earliest.
Diagnosis of Astigmatism
There are various methods of diagnosis of Astigmatism as given below.
- Measuring the refracted light
- Measuring the cornea’s curvature
- Corneal Topography
Home Remedies for Astigmatism
The following home remedies help in curing astigmatism.
1. India Gooseberry
Amla or Indian gooseberry is popularly used to cure vision related diseases or disorders. It is rich in vitamin C and anti oxidants which makes it an ideal ingredient for treating eye problems. It is beneficial in repairing damaged tissues and cells in the eyes.
- Mix two spoons of amla juice in a cup of water and drink it every morning
- Eat at least two fresh amla every day
- Consume amla in any form such as jams, pickles, candies, powder, etc.
Turmeric not only adds color to the food it has numerous health benefits for the body. It contains curcumin which has powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic properties. It has strong anti-oxidant properties and reduces cholesterol from the body. This prevents the clogs in the capillary vessels that supply blood to the eyes.
- Mix a quarter teaspoon of turmeric in warm milk
- Drink this mixture twice daily for few months
- Mix honey to turmeric powder and roll into small balls
- Take two balls of this mixture along with warm glass of milk
3. Green Tea
Green tea has powerful antioxidant properties that fight free radicals in the body. It is very beneficial in treating eye problems. It repairs the damaged cells and tissues inside the body and maintains proper health of the blood vessels in the eyes. People suffering from astigmatism must consume at least 2-3 glasses of green tea every day.
- Brew one spoon of dried green leaves in hot water for 5-10 minutes
- Strain the tea and add a spoon of honey
- Drink this 2-3 times a day for maximum benefits
- Used green tea bags can be used as eye masks for relaxing the eye muscles
4. Cassia Seeds
Cassia is an annual, upright growing plant that is commonly found in tropical regions. It has been used since ages by the Chinese to promote vision. It is very helpful in treatinf blurry eyes and reduces the pain and discomfort in the eyes.
- Take a spoon of cassia seeds powder and steep it in hot water for sometime.
- Strain and drink it twice or thrice a day
5. Gingko Biloba
Gingko Biloba is a very popular herb used to purify blood and treat memory loss. Studies have proved that this potent herb is capable of unclogging the blood vessels and making it cholesterol free.
Drink herbal tea made of dried gingko biloba leaves
Consult the doctor and take supplements made from gingko biloba
Triphala is an ancient ayurvedic medicine used to treat various diseases. It is made from three ingredients namely yellow myrobalans, beleric and Indian gooseberry. It is extremely beneficial in treating Astigmatism by improving the health of tissues and retina and by strengthening the eye muscles.
- Add a spoon of triphala powder in a glass of water and keep it overnight
- In the next morning, strain the mixture and use it as an eye wash
- Drink the mixture every morning on empty stomach
- Follow this method for several months to see results in Astigmatism
7. Milk Thistle
Milk thistle is an annual herb which is used as an herbal remedy to various diseases. It is used to treat liver disorders due to the presence of a substance known as Silymarin. This compound supports and improves and maintains a healthy liver functioning. Emphasis is being given on treating the liver because it is one of the most important organs in the body. It stores all vitamins and glutathione and activates vitamin B. It is useful to keep the eye muscles healthy and keep away vision impairs. Milk thistle supplements are available in market and can be taken after medical prescription.
All the above home remedies are safe to use and contains no side effects unlike the OTC drugs that are prescribed by the doctor.
- TOP FIVE HOME REMEDIES TO CURE ITCHY SCALP
- Natural Ways to cure Anthrax