Fatty liver disease is caused due to the accumulation of fat in the liver cells. When the liver far is more than 5 to 10 percent, it may pose several health hazards to the body. It may even lead to inflammation or scarring in the liver.
Types of Fatty Liver Disease
- Alcohol-induced – The prime reason behind this type of fatty liver disease is excessive alcohol consumption.
- Non-alcoholic – The reasons behind this type of fatty liver disease is not related to alcoholism.
Risk Factors for Fatty Liver Disease
There are several other risk factors other than alcohol that leads to fatty liver disease. They are,
- High blood cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Viral Hepatitis
- Rapid Weight Loss
Symptoms of Fatty Liver Disease
People suffering from fatty liver disease have no significant symptoms during the initial stages. However, the following signs may indicate the underlying liver conditions.
- Abdominal discomfort
- Loss of appetite
- General feeling of being unwell
- Vague discomfort
Home Remedies for Fatty Liver Disease
People who are diagnosed with fatty liver disease must regularly consult the doctor and follow the treatment and prescriptions. However, certain home remedies can also help in improving the liver conditions along with the medical treatment. All it requires is simple lifestyle changes and dietary changes along with the below given easy home remedies.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one the best remedies for curing fatty live disease. It helps in getting rid of the fat accumulated in and around the liver and promotes weight loss. It also stimulates the liver for healthy functioning and reduced inflammation.
How to Use?
- Add 1 tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water
- Add a little honey to it
- Drink it 2 times daily before your meals
- Follow this remedy for a few months
Dandelion is a powerful herb that has liver detoxifying properties. It can be used to treat fatty liver disease. It helps in detoxification and metabolism of accumulated fat in the liver. Studies have found that dandelion leaf extracts helps in prevention and treatment of obesity-related nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
How to Use?
- Add 1 teaspoon of dried dandelion root to a cup of hot water
- Cover and steep for 5 to 10 minutes
- Strain, add a little honey for taste
- Drink 3 cups of this herbal tea daily for a few weeks
- You can also add fresh tender dandelion leaves to salads, or eat cooked dandelion leaves as a side dish
- Do not use this herb if you are diabetic or pregnant.
3. Green Tea
Green tea helps in blocking the amount of fat stored in the liver. It must be consumed regularly to reduce the body weight and fat percentage. It also helps in enhancing the liver functions. According to a study published in the International Journal of Molecular Medicine, green tea with high-density catechins improves liver function and fat infiltration in patients suffering from nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
How to Use?
- Drink 3 to 4 cups of green tea every day to get rid of fatty liver disease and protect the liver
- Green tea is also available as an extract in liquid and capsules
- Consult the doctor before taking supplements.
Lemon is rich in vitamin C, which is an antioxidant the helps the liver in production of an enzyme called glutathione. This is responsible for neutralizing toxins and liver detoxification. The Journal Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology also published a study which states that a compound present in lemons called naringenin helps ease liver inflammation.
How to Use?
- Squeeze the juice of half lemon in a glass of water
- Drink it 2 or 3 times a day for several weeks
- Alternatively, add 2 to 3 chopped lemons to a jar of water
- Drink this water at regular intervals
Turmeric is yet another effective home remedy for fatty liver disease. It has antioxidants that eliminate the toxins from the liver. Also a study found that, turmeric can help prevent fatty liver disease. It is a highly effective herb which improves the body’s ability to digest fats so they do not accumulate in the liver. It also helps in detoxification.
How to Use?
- Mix ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 to 2 glasses of water and boil it
- Drink it twice daily for a couple of weeks
- You can also mix ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk and drink it once daily
- Turmeric supplements are available as capsules and tinctures
- Consult the doctor to determine the proper dosage
Licorice is also effective in curing fatty liver disease. The licorice root extract help in decreasing the transaminase activities of enzymes called ALT (alanine aminotransferase) and AST (aspatate aminotransferase) in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. It also prevents liver damage due to heavy metal and toxins.
How to Use?
- Add ½ teaspoon of licorice root to a cup of hot water
- Cover and allow it to steep for 5 to 10 minutes
- Strain, add a little honey and drink this tea 2 times a day.
- Alternatively, mix together 1 tablespoon of licorice powder and 2 teaspoons of honey
- Drink this once daily for several weeks
- If taking licorice supplements, consult your doctor first as they may interfere with certain blood pressure, diabetes and corticosteroid medications
Maintaining a healthy diet along with regular exercise to curb the fat from the body goes a long way in keeping the liver healthy and functioning. It should be diagnosed properly by the doctor to find the exact cause of the fatty liver disease so that proper treatment can be done.
- Home Remedies for Facial Hair
- Home Remedies for Female Infertility