Hirsutism or abnormal hair growth in women is a common problem. The hair could be on face or the whole body. However, it has been observed that, people with dark hair or pigmentation are likely to be hairier than those who have lighter pigmentation or blonde hair. Women have facial hair but are usually fine hair or peach fuzz. Unwanted facial hair can be embarrassing and does not look attractive. It can be removed through various means.
Factors leading to Facial Hair
The following are the various factors that cause facial hair in women.
- Changes in estrogen levels
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Hormonal changes
- Usage of medications
- Adrenal gland disorders
This problem is not too serious but may indicate several underlying health issues such as tumor or cancer of the adrenal gland or ovaries.
Home Remedies for Facial Hair
1. Sugar Waxing
Sugar wax can be done at the ease of home. It is very effective in removing facial hair and hair from any part of the body.
How to Do?
- Mix two teaspoons of granulated sugar (brown or white) and one teaspoon each of honey and water
- Heat the mixture in a microwave or on a stove for about half a minute
- Wait until it bubbles and turns brown
- Allow it to cool
- Using a spatula, apply it on the areas where the hair has to be removed
- Place a cloth strip over the sugar wax and smooth it out with the fingers in the direction of the hair growth
- Finally, rip it off in the opposite direction of hair growth
- Repeat as needed
Sugaring is similar to the above process of sugar waxing. It is a natural treatment used to remove facial as well as body hair. The difference between sugar waxing and sugaring is that, in this it is required to pull the hair in the direction of the hair growth. This is less painful and does not lead to any skin irritation. This is an age old technique which was used centuries ago in Egypt.
What to Do?
- Heat one-quarter cup of water in a pan
- Add two cups of granulated sugar and one-quarter cup of lemon juice to it
- Continue heating the paste until bubbles appear
- Turn down the heat to low-medium and let it simmer for about 25 minutes until it turns dark amber in color
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool
- Prepare the skin by dusting a little cornstarch or baby powder
- Spread the lukewarm mixture on the face in the opposite direction of the hair growth
- Put a clean rag or cotton strip over the layer of sugar paste
- Let it sit for a few minutes
- Pull it off quickly in the direction of the hair growth
3. Chickpea Flour
Chickpea flour face pack is very useful in removing dead skin and unwanted hair from the face. It also has bleaching properties that lightens the facial hair and makes it look diminished. It is a popular ingredient used by Indian brides to get glowing skin pre-wedding.
What to Do?
- Mix together two tablespoons of chickpea flour, one tablespoon of milk cream, one and one-half teaspoon of milk, and three-quarter teaspoons of turmeric
- Apply this thick paste on the face and leave it on for 20 minutes or until it dries
- Scrub it off using a facial loofah pad or simply a soft cloth dipped in lukewarm water
- Do this at least three or four times a week for about a month
- Alternatively, mix one tablespoon of chickpea flour, one-half teaspoon of plain yogurt, and one-quarter teaspoon of turmeric
- You can also add one-half teaspoon of rose water
- Spread it on your face and leave it on for 20 minutes before scrubbing it off
- Another remedy involves mixing two tablespoons of chickpea flour, one-quarter teaspoon of turmeric and enough milk (about ½ teaspoon) to make a thick, smooth paste
4. Spearmint Tea
Excess production of androgen in the body also leads to growth of facial hair. According to a study conducted by Turkish researchers indicates that spearmint tea can help women with hirsutism. During this study, the subjects were given herbal spearmint tea twice a day for five days in the follicular phase of their menstrual cycles. The results proved that it helps in controlling the androgen levels in women.
What to Do?
- Boil a cup of water
- Add one teaspoon of dried spearmint to it
- Take fresh spearmint leaves, use four or five of them
- Cover the container and let it steep for about five to 10 minutes
- Strain and drink the tea
- Have it twice daily
5. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is also a very effective in lightening the facial hairs. It can be combined with honey to make a sticky mixture that can remove the facial hair easily. It also cleanses and exfoliates the skin and leaves it hydrated and moisturized. Both lemon and honey has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that avoid skin irritation and breakouts. It also has bleaching effects in the skin.
What to Do?
- Mix one tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and four tablespoons of honey
- Apply it all over the face and neck
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes
- Gently remove the mask with a washcloth soaked in lukewarm water
- Do this at least twice a week for a few months
The above home remedies are highly effective in clearing out the facial hairs. It should be followed consistently to notice any results.
- Home Remedies for Eye Sty
- Home Remedies for Fatty Liver Disease