Impotence or erectile dysfunction is a common problem faced by men. It is a condition when a man is unable to achieve or sustain an erection. It may lead to lower self-esteem, depression or guilt. According to a study, at the age of 40, about 40 percent of men suffer from this condition. Half of the men experience erectile dysfunction at some point in life according to the Massachusetts Male Aging Study.
There are two categories of causes of erectile dysfunction. They are
- Psychological or mental
According to BBC Health, about 70 percent of impotence cases have medical causes and about 30 percent have psychological causes.
The physical causes of erectile dysfunction includes the following,
- Narrowing of blood vessels due to hypertension
- High cholesterol levels
- Hormonal changes due to aging
- Thyroid problems
- Kidney issues
- Excessive drinking
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Certain prescription
- Treatments for prostate cancer or enlarged prostate
- Mental or psychological causes include the following,
- Mental health issues
- Relationship issues
Home Remedies for Erectile dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction may correspond to a serious underlying condition and so it must be diagnosed and treated by the doctor. However, for erectile dysfunction due to the above reasons, there are various home remedies that can help in overcoming the problem.
Almonds are great aphrodisiac that have been used by people over thousands of years. It is rich in vitamin E, zinc, manganese and copper. It promotes blood circulation and helps in treating erectile dysfunction.
How to Use?
- Mix one tablespoon of powdered almond in a glass of warm milk
- Drink this daily before going to bed
- Alternatively, soak a handful of almonds in water for a few hours
- Eat these almonds daily half an hour before going to bed
- Try either of these remedies for one month to notice a difference
Carrot has been recommended by Chinese herbalists for erectile dysfunction. It has aphrodisiac properties that help in treating the problem. It also has high beta-carotene which is good for the body.
How to Use?
- Blend the following ingredients in a juicer
- three medium-size carrots
- three celery stalks
- half of a medium-size beetroot
- one to two garlic cloves
- Drink a glass of this juice once or twice daily
- Drinking a glass of warm milk along with two tablespoons of grated carrot is another option
- Eating salads including raw carrots daily can also help
Pomegranate is rich in anti-oxidants that helps in protecting against erectile dysfunction. It boosts blood circulation and helps in reducing stress. It also helps in increasing the nitrite oxide level in the body that increases the blood circulation ultimately. Studies have also found pomegranate juice to be effective in treating this condition.
How to Use?
- Drink a glass of pomegranate juice daily
- Eat pomegranate fruit daily
- You can also take pomegranate supplements
- Consult your doctor before taking supplements
Garlic has allicin which is an effective compound that boosts blood circulation. It is very helpful in dealing with erectile dysfunction. Eating four cloves of garlic daily for three months helped in improving the erection in six out if seven patients suffering from erectile dysfunction, according to a study conducted by Dr. Grahan Jackson.
How to Use?
- Chew three to four cloves of garlic daily
- Another option is to heat a few garlic cloves with a little bit of clarified butter on low flame until they turn golden brown
- Eat these garlic cloves daily
- Also, you can mix together one teaspoon each of garlic powder and cayenne pepper powder and have it with water a few hours before going to bed
Onions contain aphrodisiac properties that help in treating the involuntary loss of semen during sleep or other times.
How to Use?
- Slice one to two large white onions
- Fry the slices in clarified butter on low flame until they turn brown
- Eat them with one tablespoon of honey daily before having your dinner
- Alternatively, finely chop two large onions and steep them in two cups of warm water for 10 minutes
- Drink half a cup of this liquid three times daily for one month
6. Pelvic Floor Exercises
Pelvic floor exercise can help in treating the erectile dysfunction in men effectively. It is considered to be useful in providing a long-term solution for the problem, according to a study. It also helps in strengthening the muscles located at the base of the penile muscle.
What to Do?
- While doing pelvic floor exercises, you must pay attention to releasing and tightening the pelvic muscles
- This also promotes urinary continence
- It is recommended to learn these exercises from an expert and then do them on your own
- Do these exercises daily for at least three months to get positive results.
The above home remedies are tried and tested and found to be effective in treating erectile dysfunction.
- Home Remedies for Enlarged Prostate
- Home Remedies for Epilepsy