Epilepsy is a neurological disorder that causes repeated seizures or fits. These seizures can last for a brief period of time or may last long. It occurs due to abnormal burst of electrical activity in the brain. However, the main cause for epilepsy is not known till date.
Symptoms of Epilepsy
- Repeated seizures
- Problems with muscles control
- Problem with movement
- Problem with speech
- Problem in vision or awareness
- Dizzy feeling
Factors that lead to Epilepsy
The main cause for epilepsy is not known yet but the following are the various factors that may lead to epilepsy. It is commonly seen in children or older people who are above 60 years of age. However, it may occur at any age. The following factors increase the risk of epilepsy in human beings.
- Family history
- Brian infections
- Lead poisoning
- Prenatal brain development problems
- Alzheimer’s disease
In case of two or more seizures within 24 hours, it should be immediately reported to the doctor for proper diagnosis.
Home Remedies for Epilepsy
It is not possible to control the seizures but it is certainly possible to incorporate certain lifestyle and diet changes to control the condition. The following are the top remedies to deal with epilepsy. These herbal remedies can be taken along with the prescribed medicines.
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is greatly effective in treating epilepsy. It has medium-chain triglycerides that have therapeutic effects on the brain cells. Also it supplies energy for the brain cells that helps in relieving the symptoms of epilepsy.
How to Use?
- Have one spoon of extra-virgin coconut oil thrice a day
- You may gradually increase the dosage to few more tablespoons a day
- You can also use coconut oil for cooking
- Coconut oil can be used as salad dressing or as a spread
2. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt has positive effects in reducing seizures according to studies. It helps in treating epilepsy due to the presence of magnesium sulfate. It changes the physiochemical cell relationship in the brain which in turn lessens the frequency of seizures and convolutions.
How to Use?
- Crush pure grade Epsom salt into a very fine powder
- Add ½ teaspoon of the powder to a glass of orange juice or water and stir well
- Drink it daily morning
- You can also enjoy relaxing and soothing Epsom salt bath by putting one cup of epsom salt in a warm bath tub
- Do this twice or thrice a week
Lime is also one fo the popular Ayurvedic remedy for epilepsy. It helps in improving blood circulation to the brain. It helps in normalize excessive calcium that may hamper the brain functions.
How to Use?
- Mix two tablespoons of fresh lime juice and half teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water
- Drink it daily before going to bed
- You can also apply fresh lime juice on your head and massage thoroughly for a few minutes
- Do this daily before taking a shower
Garlic has antioxidants, antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties that help in destroying the harmful free radicals in the body. It promotes the proper functioning of the nervous system. This in turn prevents seizures and other epilepsy-related symptoms.
How to Use?
- Mix together ½ cup each of milk and water
- Heat it to a boil
- Add 4 to 5 crushed garlic cloves and boil until the mixture reduces by half
- Strain and drink it once daily
- Alternatively, take garlic supplements daily
- Consult your doctor for the correct dosage
Passionflower is an effective herb that reduces seizures. It contains a chemical known as chrysin, which helps increasing the amount of gamma aminonutyric acid (GABA) in the brain. It also reduces frequency of seizures as well as anxiety.
How to Use?
- Drink 1 to 2 cups of herbal tea prepared with passionflower
- Steep 1 teaspoon of dried passionflower in a cup of boiling water
- Wait for 10 minutes, then strain it
- Passionflower is also available in capsule, tablet, liquid extract and tincture forms
- Always take this herb under the guidance of a doctor
- Avoid passionflower if you are pregnant or breast-feeding
- Also, consult your doctor before taking this herb as it may increase the effects of anti-seizure medications
6. Winter Melon
Winter melon also known as ash gourd is also an effective home remedy for epilepsy in Ayurveda. It has nutritional and medicinal properties. This vegetable helps in keep the nervous system healthy and ensures smooth functioning of the brain cells.
How to Use?
- Drink ½ glass of winter melon juice daily in the morning on an empty stomach
- To enhance the taste, you can add a little sugar
- Another option is to extract the juice of a bowl of crushed winter melon
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of licorice powder to it and mix well
- Drink this solution once daily
Regular exercise is very important for improving the overall fitness of the body. It also enhances the mood and improves energy levels. It has positive impacts on people who are suffering from epilepsy. It reduces the seizures and the impact of the disease. It also releases feel good hormones into the brain and increases the flow of oxygen to the brain.
What to do?
- Do warm up and stretching exercises daily to feel more relaxed
- Walking is one of the easiest and safest exercises that people with epilepsy should do
- Walk for 45 minutes, at least 4 times a week
- Swimming and other water sports can be great exercise
- Gardening and other relaxing activities like tai chi are also great exercises
- Drink water before and after exercise to prevent dehydration
- In addition, stop and rest if you are feeling tired
- Home Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction
- Home Remedies to Grow Thick and Long Eyelashes