Digestive system is one of the integral systems in the body. Any problem in this system leads to lot of discomfort and health issues. The main function of the digestive system is to absorb essential nutrients and get rid of the waste products. According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease, about 60 to 70 million Americans suffer from some kind of digestive problems.
Common Digestive Issues
The following are some of the common digestive issues that occur in our body.
- Acid reflux
- Peptic ulcers
- Lactose intolerance
- Food intolerance
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Celiac diseas
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
Common factors Causing Digestive Problems
The causes of digestive problems are listed below,
- Poor diet
- Improper hygiene
- Lack of exercise
- Excessive smoking
- Excessive alcohol intake
- Lack of sleep
- Nutritional deficiencies
Proper diagnosis and treatment must be taken for serious digestive disorders. However common digestive issues like indigestion, constipation, diarrhea and bloating can be taken care by simple home remedies.
Home Remedies for Digestive Problems
The following natural remedies can help in improving the digestion and absorption of nutrients in the body. These are completely natural and do not have any side effects on the body.
Ginger must be included in the daily diet to improve digestion. IT stimulates the digestive juices and the flow of enzymes that are required to digest the food properly. It is also found to be effective in preventing nausea, vomiting, flatulence, indigestion, bloating and diarrhea. It has carminative, antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties.
How to Use?
Make ginger tea by boiling one teaspoon of freshly grated ginger in one and half cup of water
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes and then strain the tea
- Add some raw honey and drink 2 to 3 cups of ginger tea throughout the day
- Alternatively, you may also add two teaspoons of ginger juice and one teaspoon of honey to a cup of warm water
- Drink it once or twice a day
- You can also chew a small piece of ginger after the meals
Peppermint also helps in improving digestion and prevents digestive disorders. It has carminative, antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties that helps in treating gas, bloating, intestinal cramps, nausea and vomiting. According to a study published in the Digestive and Liver Diseases Journal, it is suggested that peppermint helps in improving abdominal symptoms in people suffering from IBS. It can also treat similar symptoms of lactose intolerance or celiac disease.
How to Use?
- Make peppermint tea by adding one teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves to a cup of hot water
- Cover and allow it to steep for 10 minutes
- Strain the tea and drink it twice a day
- You may also eat fresh peppermint leave by adding them to the salads or dishes
- Also, you may take enteric-coated peppermint oil capsules 3 to 4 times a day for few weeks
3. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds are great for maintain proper digestive health. It is used in treatment of heartburn, indigestion and low stomach acidity. A study published in the Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine journal shows that fennel seed emulsion helps in decreasing the intensity of infantile colic. It is highly beneficial in providing relief from intestinal spasms and bloating.
How to Use?
- Chew one teaspoon of fennel seeds after a meal
- Make fennel tea by steeping one teaspoon of fennel seeds in a cup of hot water for about 5 minutes
- You may also take half teaspoon of fennel seeds powder along with a glass of water twice a day
Probiotics are essential to maintain a healthy digestive system functioning. It contains strains of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria that helps in restoring the natural balance of the gut bacteria. IT can also help in treating and preventing digestive problems like diarrhea, abdominal bloating and flatulence and IBD. A study published in the Therapeutic Advances in Gastroenterology journal, highlights the efficacy of probiotics, as either a single strain or a combination of probiotics in treating several digestive issues.
How to Use?
- Include probiotic foods like Greek yogurt, kefir, miso, sauerkraut, kimchi, tempeh, buttermilk and sour pickles in the daily diet
- You may also consider taking probiotic supplements after consulting a doctor about the dosage and possible side effects
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is yet another effective ingredient that cures all digestive problems. It is acidic in nature but has alkalizing effects on the body. It also treats problems like indigestion, gas, bloating, stomach aches and heartburn. It consists of pectin, which is a water-soluble fiber that regulates bowel movements.
How to Use?
- Add one tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a cup fo warm water
- Mix one spoon of raw honey
- Drink it twice or thrice a day to maintain a healthy digestive system
Asafetida has antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti-flatulent properties. It is very good for the digestive system and helps in treating gas, flatulence, stomach upset, stomach pain and food poisoning. It is highly beneficial in treating colic in babies.
How to Use?
- Mix a pinch of asafetida in a glass of warm water and drink it after the meals
- Also, include the spice in the daily cooking
- For infants and small babies, you may rub a little asafetida mixed with water around the navel to reduce stomach pain and gas
The above home remedies are tried and tested and found to be effective in treating all sorts of digestive disorders. However, serious conditions must be diagnosed by the doctor and proper treatments must be taken.
- Home Remedies for Denture Pain
- Home remedies for Detoxification