Elimination of harmful toxins from the body is known as detoxification. The food we eat, water we drink and the environment we live in consists of several heavy metals and chemicals. These chemicals and biochemical toxins attack our body and causes damage to the integral organs.
Signs and Symptoms of Toxic Accumulation
The following are the signs and symptoms of the toxic accumulation in the body.
- Fatigue or sluggishness
- Weight fluctuations
- Hormonal disruption
- Body odor
- Bad breath
- Troubled digestion
- Muscle ache
- Worsening of the inflammatory conditions like arthritis
The body’s internal mechanism has the ability to get rid of these toxins naturally. However, certain natural remedies when taken along with the diet can enhance the detoxification process. It mainly targets the liver and gallbladder where the toxins needs to the flushed out.
Benefits of Detoxification
The following are the major benefits of detoxification,
- Boosts energy level
- Increases immunity
- Decreases allergies
- Improves metabolism
- Combats fatigue
- Maintains clear skin
- Stimulates blood circulation
- Aids in digestion
- Facilitates regular bowel movements
- Improves mental clarity
- Improves concentration
- Nourishes the body with healthy nutrients
Home Remedies for Detoxification
The following are the various natural ways by which detoxification can be done easily.
1. Green Tea
Green tea is rich in antioxidants and it helps in eliminating free radicals from the body. It contains epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), a potent antioxidant the helps in protecting the liver from toxic damage. A study done by researchers at the Newcastle University found that, green tea may protect against Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. Also, regular consumption of green tea will help in weight loss, improve metabolism and control hair loss.
How to Use?
- Add a teaspoon of dried green tea leaves in a cup of hot water
- Allow it to steep for 10 minutes
- Strain the tea and add honey or ginger juice
- Drink it twice or thrice a day
- Alternatively, you may also take 100 to 750mg of green tea extracts after consulting the doctor
Lemon juice has powerful detoxifying and alkalizing properties. It stimulates the liver’s bile production and boosts mineral intake and absorption as well. It has high antioxidants and vitamin C, which helps in strengthening the immune system. The lemon peels are rich in antioxidants called d-limonene, which has been found to activate enzymes in the liver that helps in removal of toxic compounds.
How to Use?
- Add the juice from one lemon to a cup of warm water
- Drink it every morning on empty stomach
- Also, you may mix one-half cup of lemon juice, one tablespoon of honey and one tablespoon of cayenne pepper in a cup of hot water
- Drink it daily for few weeks until the health is improved
3. Green Smoothies
The best way to detoxify the body is to incorporate green smoothies in daily diet. It helps in eliminating harmful toxins along with providing a wealth of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. The green vegetable consists of chlorophyll, which helps in detoxification and getting rid of heavy metals like those foundin pesticides and industrial pollutants. Starting the day with a green smoothie provides energy and boosts metabolism.
How to Use?
- Take one cup of coarsely chopped kale, one coarsely chopped green apple, one ripe banana and one-half cup of fresh parsley leaves
- Out together all the ingredients in the blender along with two and one-half cups of water
- Start with one cup of green smoothie everyday increasing the dosage to three to four cups a day
- Do this for few weeks or months to notice the improvement in the overall body functioning
4. Raw juices
Raw fruits and vegetables are highly nourishing and beneficial to the body in eliminating harmful toxins. Ingredients such as apples, carrots, grapefruit, spinach, blueberries, oranges, cucumbers, beets and lettuce are highly beneficial for detoxifying the body. The chlorophyll content in the green vegetables is helpful in removal of cancer causing toxins. These fresh juices boost the immune system and helps in strengthening the body.
How to Use?
- Drink one glass of raw fruit or vegetable juice two to three times a day
- You may also replace one meal daily with fresh juice
- Juice fasting is one of the best ways to detoxify
- Drink at least five to six glasses of fruit and vegetable juice daily or a few days during juice fasting
- Create juices by mixing several fruits together
- For example, make a blend by juicing five carrots, four celery stalks, one beet, one small apple, one small cucumber and half a lemon
- Drinking the juice slowly helps in better absorption rather than gulping it down
5. Epsom Salt Bath
Epsom salt detoxifies the body by increasing the magnesium level in the body. It helps in detoxifying heavy metals from the body. It also soothes the body aches and pains.
How to Use?
- Mix one or two cups of epsom salt in a bath tub filled with warm water
- Soak in it for about 15 minutes
- Repeat this at least three times a week
- High blood pressure patients and people with heart problems must avoid this remedy
6. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is an age old therapy to naturally detoxify the deeper tissues in the body. It fights issues like toothache, bad breath and gum diseases due to the antimicrobial effects of the oil used in the process. It had been used since ages in the traditional Ayurvedic technique to get relief from headaches, constipation, candida infections, congestion, cold sores, joint pains and various other ailments. This has to be done as the first thing in the morning on an empty-stomach even before brushing the teeth.
How to Use?
- Swish one tablespoon of sesame oil or sunflower oil in the mouth for 15 to 20 minutes
- The oil should turn thinner and milky or foamy in nature
- Spit it out and rinse the mouth with water
- Repeat this daily for at least 15 days to notice remarkable difference
- Be careful not to gargle or swallow the oil
The above home remedies for detoxification are extremely beneficial for the body and keeps it going without any illness for a long time.
- Home Remedies for Digestive Problems
- Home Remedies to Get Rid of Double Chin