Dark spots on the face affect the personality of a person. It makes the skin look dull and the aged. There are several ways by which the dark spots can be lightened or eliminated completely. These dark spots occur due to excess melanin secretion sometimes. It leads to lower self-esteem and can be embarrassing as well. We have several treatments for dark spots on face such as acid peels and laser surgeries. But there are several home remedies for dark spots on the face which are as effective as the conventional methods.
Factors Causing Dark Spots
- Over exposure to Sun
- Hormonal Imbalance
- Vitamin Deficiency
- Lack of Sleep
- Severe acne
Home Remedies for Dark Spots on Face
1. Lemon Juice
The easiest and quickest solution to treating dark spots problem is in the kitchen or the nearest grocery store. Lemons are the best ingredients to lighten those unpleasant dark spots on the face. It has vitamin C that lightens the pigmentation and makes the face clear and glowing.
- Take the juice of a whole lemon
- Soak a cotton ball in it and apply on the dark spots on the face
- Allow it to dry for sometime
- Rinse with plain water
- Repeat the process daily for at least two or three weeks to get rid of the dark spots completely
- You can also dilute it with rosewater or honey in case you have sensitive skin
Buttermilk also helps in getting rid of the dark spots on the face similar to lemon juice. It fades out the blemishes and spots without burning sensation. The lactic acid present in the milk gradually reduces the pigmentation and enhances the complexion.
- Take 4 spoons of buttermilk
- Add 2 spoons of tomato juice
- Mix the ingredients and apply on the face
- Let it dry for 15-20 minutes
- Wash it off with normal water
- Instead of buttermilk, milk can also be used for the treating the dark spots
Almonds are excellent skin-food that provides nourishment and elasticity to the skin. It is used to remove the dead cells and brighten the complexion. Both external and internal uses of almonds are beneficial for treating skin related issues such as dark spots, pigmentation, etc.
- Soak 8-10 almonds in milk and leave it overnight
- The next morning, peel off the skin and grind the almonds into fine paste
- Add one spoon of sandalwood powder and half a spoon of honey to make a thick paste
- Apply it evenly on the face
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes and wash off with cold water
Sandalwood removes tan and other unwanted spots from the body to give a clear complexion. It is very effective in removing dark spots from the face.
- Mix one spoon of sandalwood powder and one spoon of glycerin along with rosewater to make a thick paste
- Apply this paste to the affected areas
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes until it is completely dry
- Wash it off with lukewarm water
- Repeat this 2-3 times a week for better results
Potatoes are very useful when it comes to removing spots, blemishes and dark circles. It has mild bleaching properties that fades the pigments and clears the skin.
- Slice a potato and place it on the area of dark spots
- Leave it on for few minutes
- Wash it off with lukewarm water
- Alternatively, you can mash a potato and apply it on the dark spots and dark circle following a similar procedure
Oatmeal in the powdered or colloidal form is considered beneficial for the skin. It exfoliates the dead skin cells and dark spots effectively. It is often used in combination with other ingredients like yogurt and lemon juice for increased effectiveness.
- Grind half a cup of rolled oats into powder
- Add three or four tablespoons of lemon juice to make a paste
- Scrub it on the skin for 5-10 minutes
- Leave it on for 10 minutes
- Wash it off with warm water
- Follow this treatment on alternate days for few weeks
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has great healing properties. It has soothing effect on sunburns and other infections. It is rich in vitamin E and thus helps in correcting the pigmentation and dark spots on the face thereby giving a smooth and clear skin.
- Slit open a fresh aloe vera leaf
- Extract the gel and apply it on the dark spots
- Gently massage for a few minutes and leave it on for sometime
- Follow this procedure 3-4 times a week for positive results
- You can also add a pinch of turmeric with the aloe vera gel for faster results
Turmeric is not only a popular spice in the Indian kitchen, but also it has great benefits for the skin too. It is an effective skin lightening agent that fades away all pigmentation issues. It is also effective in curing dark spots, sun spots and age spots.
- Make a thick paste of turmeric, lemon juice and milk
- Apply it in the place of dark spots
- Leave it on for few minutes and rinse it off with lukewarm water
- You may also make a paste of turmeric along with honey and olive oil and gently massage on the skin
- After it is completely dry, rinse it off with lukewarm water
The above home remedies are very effective in treating common skin problems such as dark spots. However, severe pigmentation issues must be taken to the doctor and proper treatment must be taken along with these home remedies.
- How to Get Rid of an Armpit Rash
- How to Prevent Bladder Infections