Damaged hair means dry and lifeless hair that is prone to breakage and hair loss. The hair loses its luster and shines and becomes difficult to manage and style. Every hair has three layers,
- Inner fiber called medulla
- Middle layer called cortex
- Outer layer called cuticle
The cuticle protects the hair from getting damaged. When it damaged, the hair loses elasticity and becomes brittle.
Reasons for Damaged Hair
Hair can be damages by the following reasons,
- Excessive washing
- Using harsh alcohols and soaps
- Exposure to dry and hot climate
- Using heating tools like blow dryers
- Excessive styling
- Exposure to harmful ultraviolet rays
- Swimming in chlorinated water
- Lack of moisture
- Using chemical treatments
- Friction due to sleeping on cotton pillowcases
Certain medical conditions also lead to damaged hair,
- Underactive thyroid
- Hereditary issues
- Anorexia nervosa
Trimming the hair regularly is the best way to get rid of the damage. However, there are various natural, safe and effective home remedies that can help in repairing the dull and lifeless hair.
Home Remedies for Damaged Hair
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil is great for dry and damaged hair. It has fatty acids, several antioxidants and vitamin E. it heals the damaged layers by sealing the cuticle with moisture. It also protects the hair form further damage.
How to Use?
- Apply warm olive oil on the scalp and hair shafts
- Massage for few minutes and then cover the hair with a warm towel
- Leave it on for 30 minutes
- Shampoo and condition the hair
- You may also mix 1/4th cup of olive oil to half a cup of honey
- Warm this mixture and apply to the hair
- Rinse it well with lukewarm water after 30 minutes
- Shampoo the hair after rinsing
- Repeat this remedy at least once a week to repair the damaged hair
Avocado is rich in vitamins, fat, protein, essential fatty acids and natural oils. It can help in repairing the damaged hair. It forms a protective coating on the hair preventing it from damage. It also softens the hair and keeps it hydrated and flexible. It prevents free radicals from damaging the hair.
How to Use?
- Mash a ripe avocado and add one or two teaspoons of olive oil in it
- Blend it until you get a thin and smooth consistency
- Apply it to the hair and leave it for about one hour before rinsing it
- Alternatively, you can mash one ripe avocado and add one egg yolk and enough coconut milk to make a thin paste
- Apply it to the scalp and hair and massage it in for 5 minutes in circular motions
- Allow it to sit for an hour and rinse it off using lukewarm water before shampoo
- Follow this remedy once a week to get healthy hair
Eggs provide nutrients and nourishment that has been depleted from the damaged hair. Egg yolks are high in proteins, minerals and essential fatty acids that can nourish the hair strands. The enzymes in egg whites helps in cleansing the hair and scalp along with imparting a natural shine to it.
How to Use?
- Whisk one egg and massage it on the scalp for few minutes
- Cover the head with a shower cap and leave it on for 20 minutes
- Rinse it with cold water and shampoo as usual
- Alternatively, you may whisk 2 eggs along with half a cup of yogurt
- Add one and a half tablespoons of almond oil and beat again until you get a creamy texture
- Massage the scalp and hair with this mixture and cover the head with a shower cap for 30 minutes
- Rinse it off with cold water and shampoo as usual
- Repeat this remedy twice a month to restore the natural shine to the hair
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera consists of enzymes, amino acids, vitamin C and E. It helps in repairing damaged hair by its humectant properties that soothes the hair shaft.
How to Use?
- Take some aloe vera juice and apply it directly on the damaged hair
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash it off with warm water
- Alternatively, you may also mix four tablespoons of aloe vera gel to two tablespoons of coconut oil and three tablespoons of plain yogurt
- Mix it well and apply it evenly on the hair
- Let it sit for at least 30 minutes before rinsing it off
- Wash the hair with mild shampoo and repeat this once a week
5. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is packed with nutrients that are extremely good for the skin and hair. It is light and can easily penetrate deep into the hair shaft preventing the cuticle from becoming damaged.
How to Use?
- Warm some coconut oil and massage on the scalp every day or at least thrice a week
- You may also massage coconut oil on the scalp and leave it overnight and wash the hair next morning sing a mild shampoo
- Another option is to mix three tablespoons of warm coconut oil on one-fourth cup of honey and blend it thoroughly
- Apply it on the damp hair and let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes
- Rinse it off with warm water and repeat this remedy once or twice a week
Bananas have high amount of potassium, fortifying vitamins, natural oils and moisture content which helps in repairing damaged hair. It can also help in softening the hair and improve its elasticity.
How to Use?
- Mash one ripe banana well so that there are no lumps in it
- Work it thoroughly into the hair and allow it to sit for one hour
- Rinse it off using lukewarm water
- You may also prepare a hair mask by blending together two overripe bananas with one tablespoon of coconut oil, honey and olive oil each
- Apply this paste on the hair and leave it on for 20to 30 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water
Follow these remedies once or twice a week to repair damaged hair and achieve healthy hair.
- Home Remedies to Reduce Creatinine Levels
- Home Remedies for Curly Hair