Armpit lumps are caused when a lymph node in the armpit area is swollen or enlarged. It may be due to infection, allergies, harmless fat tissue growth or even cancerous growths. The swelling can measure as small as a pea sized lump to a few centimeters long. Lymph nodes play a vital role in proper functioning of the immune system. Armpit lumps may also be caused due to cysts, infection or irritation while shaving or using antiperspirants.
Causes of Armpit Lumps
Most of the time the armpit lumps are harmless and does not pose any serious health issue. But it is denotes to the underlying health problems and so it must be evaluated by the doctor.
- Bacterial and viral infections
- Harmless fat tissue growth (lipomas)
- Allergic reaction
- Adverse reactions to medicines and vaccines
- Fungal infections
- Noncancerous fibrous tissue growth (fibroaderma)
- Breast cancer response
- Lymphatic cancer (lymphoma)
- Blood cancer in bone marrow (leukemia)
- Lupus or SLE, an auto-immune disease that targets joints and organs
Symptoms of Armpit Lumps
Symptoms of armpit lumps may differ based on the causes.
- Swollen arm
- Body aches
- Swelling in other lymph nodes
- Loss of appetite
- Flu-like symptoms
Armpit Lumps in Women
Armpit lumps may occur in both men and women. But when it appears in women, it is very important to get it diagnosed immediately as it could possibly be a symptom for breast cancer. It is recommended for all women to self-examine their breasts and report any lumps of dark patches to the doctor immediately. The best time to do a breast examination is right after the periods end.
Diagnosis of Armpit Lumps
The primary step to diagnosing armpit lumps is by physical examination. Doctors may question about the recent changes in the appearance of the lump and if there is any pain in that area. The patient must exactly explain the symptoms experienced to the doctor for better and exact diagnosis. Based on the results of physical examination, the doctor might suggest few more tests if necessary.
- Blood Test
- Allergy testing
Treatment of Armpit Lumps
Certain types of armpit lumps do not require any treatment since they are harmless. They are,
- Viral infections
These lumps heal by themselves and don’t require any major therapy. When the doctor finds the lumps to be cancerous, the treatment is done. The following are the commonly used treatments in this case.
- Radiation Therapy
Home Remedies for Armpit Lumps
1. Warm Compress
Using a warm water compress over the armpit lumps is an easy and effective remedy to treat the infection. This procedure increases the heat which improves the blood circulation and helps in reducing the size of the lumps.
- Soak a towel in hot water and wring excess water from it.
- Place the towel under the armpit for 5 to 10 minutes
- Repeat this process for 3 to 4 times a day until the pain subsides
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a wonder ingredient that is used to cure many diseases. It is very effective in curing the armpit lumps because it dries out the lumps and reduces the pain and swelling. It also has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that fight infections.
- Mix equal parts of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar an water
- Dip a cotton ball in it and apple over the affected area
- Leave it for 5-10 minutes and rinse it off with warm water
- Repeat this process few times a day until the lumps reduce
- Apple cider vinegar can also be consumed along with water every day to promote healing from inside
Echinacea is a very useful herb that strengthens the immunity. It is effective in treating armpit lumps because it heals the lymph node and promotes proper production if anti-bodies that fight against the infection causing bacteria and virus. It is a strong antibiotic that purifies the blood thereby eliminating the armpit lumps completely.
- Apply Echinacea cream or ointment topically to the lumps for about 2 to 3 times a day
- Steep dried Echinacea leaves in a cup of hot water for 10-15 minutes
- Strain the tea and drink it by adding one spoon of honey
- Drink Echinacea tea once or twice daily for few weeks until the symptoms of armpit lumps are completely gone
Honey is one of the best antibiotics that is available naturally. It helps in clearing the armpit lumps, eases the pain and inflammation. It reduces the irritation and discomfort causes due to this infection. It acts at multiple levels in curing the infection.
- Apply some raw honey on the armpits lumps and leave it for 10 minutes
- Rinse it off and pat dry with a soft cotton towel
- Repeat this procedure for 2-3 times a day until the pain and swelling reduces
- Alternatively, honey can also be consumed along with any herbal teas couple of times a day
Turmeric contains a compound named curcumin which has natural ability to fight from infections and inflammations. Hence turmeric must be included in the daily diet to keep away infections, allergies, cold and fever. The anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties facilitate in faster healing of the armpit lumps.
- Mix one spoon of turmeric powder with honey to make a paste
- Apply this mixture on the armpit lumps and leave for 10-15 minutes
- Rinse it with warm water and pat dry
- Alternatively, you can also drink a glass of warm milk mixed with a spoon of turmeric powder
- Repeat this for few weeks to cure the infection completely
Apart from these five home remedies to cure armpit lumps, you may also try warm water compress and epsom salt bath. These are also very effective in provide quick relief from the pain and swelling in the armpits.
- Top 10 Remedies to Cure Bad Breath Problems
- How to Treat a Bee or Wasp Sting