Candida infection is caused due to Candida albicans which is also responsible for many other skin related ailments. Due to the overgrowth of this yeast fungus, many skin diseases such as diaper rash, thrush and yeast infection in women are caused. However this is not a serious condition, but it is important to treat Candida infection as soon as the symptoms are noticed. Early treatment will not only minimize the discomfort but also will reduce the risk of infection spreading further and its susceptibility to more serious conditions. Candida is normally present on the skin, in the mouth, in the gastrointestinal tract and in the vagina without causing any harm. The overgrowth of this fungus causes candidiasis causing intense itching and redness. It usually affects the following areas,
• Urinary tract
Oral Thrush – When Candida affects the mouth, it forms a creamy, white coating or patches in the mouth.
Rashes- It appears on the skin folds
Vaginal yeast infection- It causes itching and a white, cottage cheese-like discharge
Factors causing Candida Infection
A number of factors can increase the risk of developing a Candida infection. They are as follows,
• Weakened immune system
• Bacterial infection
• Prolonged use of antibiotics
• Birth control pills
• Exposure to moisture and warmth for a longer period
Chronic Candida infections can cause the following issues,
• Light headedness
• Poor memory
Be it a simple instance of infection or chronic recurrence, the following home remedies will help in easing the symptoms and provide long-term relief from this problem.
Home Remedies for Candida
Garlic has a number of sulfur-containing compounds which has antifungal properties that help in fighting Candida infections.
How to Use?
• Including garlic in our daily diet is an excellent way to reap its benefits
• 3-4 cloves of raw garlic should be crushed and consumed every morning on empty stomach
• Garlic supplements can also be taken if you do not like the raw smell of garlic
• General recommendation of garlic supplements is 600 to 900mg per day depending on the severity
• Also you may rub raw garlic on the affected area directly
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil had medium-chain fatty acids like lauric, caprylic and capric acid. It is very effective in treating candidasis and other skin related ailments. Studies show that these saturated fats have antimicrobial properties that help in killing the candida fungi without allowing it to spread further. It disrupts the development of strains of Candida that are more resistant to other antifungal treatments.
How to Use?
• Apply coconut oil topically on the affected area three or four times a day
• You may also include coconut oil in the diet starting with one teaspoon of virgin coconut oil and then gradually increasing the dosage upto three tablespoons per day
Yogurt has probiotics which are extremely beneficial for the healthy functioning of the immune system. Especially yogurt with live cultures, are helpful in fighting off Canadians or yeast infection. The Lactobacillus acidophilus culture keeps Candida yeast in check by producing lactic acid.
How to Use?
• Yogurt with live lactobacillus acidophilus should be included in the daily diet
• To treat a vaginal yeast infection, insert a tampon dipped in yogurt
• Repeat this twice a day until the infection clears
4. Tea Tree oil
Tea tree oil has natural antifungal and antibacterial properties which makes it an effective remedy for candidiasis.
How to Use?
• Dilute few drops of tea tree oil in water and dip a tampon in it
• Insert the tampon to treat vaginal infection replacing it every six hours
• Oral thrush can be cured by adding five to seven drops of pure tea tree oil to a cup of water
• Gargle with it for a few minutes twice daily until the infection clears
• Be careful not to swallow the solution
5. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil contains a compound called carvacrol that has been found to inhibit growth of Candida yeast. Also, studies have found that this oil has antifungal and antimicrobial properties that are very effective in treating and preventing candidiasis.
How to Use?
• Mix three drops of oregano oil to one tablespoon of olive oil
• Apply it on the affected area and leave it on for few hours
• Repeat this for several weeks to notice improvement
• Alternatively, you can also mix three drops of organo oil in a glass of water and drink it twice daily for few weeks
• You may also consider taking oregano capsules twice a day after meals
• Always buy oregano oil, which is free from alcohol and has high level of cavacrol.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best remedies for treating Candida infections. It helps in restoring the body’s natural pH balance. It is rich in enzymes that help in regulating the presence of Candida. It creates an acidic environment for the fungi so that they cannot thrive inside. It also helps in encouraging healthy gut bacteria to balance the flora in the intestinal tract.
How to Use?
• Add one spoon of organic raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a glass of water
• Sip it slowly before every meal
• Symptoms may worsen during the initial few days as the yeast dies off, but there will be improvement later on
• You may also apply apple cider vinegar on the affected area or mix one cup in a warm bath and soak in bath for about 15 minutes
• Do this every day until results are seen
The above home remedies are tried and tested overtime and found helpful in treating Candid infections. If the infection still persists, you should consult a doctor immediately.
- Home Remedies to Treat Calluses
- Home Remedies to Get Rid of Cellulite in Thighs