An abscessed tooth is referred to an infection at the root of the tooth or in the gums. It is usually a bacterial infection caused due to dental cavity, chipping of tooth or a crack. This infection spreads till the root of the tooth and causes pain, swelling and discomfort. Mostly an abscessed tooth is caused by severe tooth decay or gum diseases.
Causes for Abscessed Tooth
- Tooth decay
- Gum Diseases or gingivitis
- Poor dental hygiene
- High sugar diet
- High carbohydrate diet
- Sticky food
Symptoms of Abscessed Tooth
- Throbbing and sharp toothache
- Pain while chewing food
- Increased sensitivity to hot or cold food and drink
- Change in taste
- Bad breathe
- Swelling in cheeks
- Red and sore gums
- Difficulty in opening the mouth
- Difficulty in swallowing food
- Swollen lymph nodes under the jaw
The person with an abscessed tooth might experience other signs of discomfort too. It is very important to consult a dentist as soon as the symptoms are felt. If an abscessed tooth is not treated in time, it might result in life-threatening complications. Even if the abscessed area ruptures, the person will experience some relief from the pain. But this does not imply that the person will not need a dental treatment because this does not mean that the infection has died. It may still continue to spread and destroy the tissues.
Home Remedies for an Abscessed Tooth
Along with the medicines and treatment that the dentist prescribes, home remedies can be used as an adjunct treatment to fight the infection and pain.
Garlic has anti-inflammatory properties and natural antibiotic properties which makes it an ideal natural ingredient to cure all dental infections.
- Crush one or two garlic cloves with your teeth and chew it for some time until relief.
- Spit it out and rinse the mouth with warm water and follow it a clove oil and water rinse to get rid of the odor.
- Alternatively you can add a pinch of garlic powder with salt and apply it directly on the affected area.
- Allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes and rinse with a mouth-wash.
- Garlic oil can also be used for the same to get relief from the pain and inflammation
- Repeat any of these remedies 3 to 4 times a day continuously for few weeks to cure abscessed tooth symptoms.
2. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is ancient Ayurvedic practice that is used to treat many diseases. It works on the principle that oil has higher viscosity and can easily attract all the bacteria in the mouth. It draws all toxins from the mouth, in fact from the entire body and promotes overall health.
- Put one spoonful of coconut oil or castor oil in the mouth
- Swish it inside the mouth for at least 15 mintues without swallowing it
- Spit it in the bin and rinse the mouth with warm water
- Repeat this process twice daily, on empty stomach, for about a month to see positive results
Clove is one of the best remedies for all oral problems. It has antiseptic, antibacterial and analgesic properties that help in getting rid of toothache, inflammation and soreness in the gums.
- Dip a cotton ball in clove oil and place it near the abscessed tooth for few minutes
- Alternatively you can place a whole clove between the tooth and the cheek and remain its juices inside the mouth for at least 30 minutes
- Spit the clove and rinse the mouth with warm water
4. Black Tea
Black tea is another effective remedy for abscessed tooth. It has tannins that help in reducing the pain and inflammation. It also consists of anti-oxidants that fights infections and promotes oral health.
- Soak a black tea bag in hot water for few minutes
- Remove from water and wring the tea bag
- Place it near the affected tooth and leave it for few hours or even overnight
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt-water solution
- Repeat this once a day continuously for few weeks, until the symptoms are completely gone
5. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is an effective disinfectant and antibacterial that helps in clearing out the bacterial growth and decay inside the mouth. It also helps in reducing the pain and inflammation caused during an abscessed tooth. Only food grade and three percent solution of hydrogen peroxide must be used for this purpose.
- Mix two spoons of hydrogen peroxide with one spoon of warm water
- Rinse the mouth with this solution and then spit it out
- Alternatively you can mix one spoon of baking soda with hydrogen peroxide solution to make a paste
- Apply this paste on the affected area for 3-5 minutes and then rinse the mouth thoroughly with warm water
- Follow this remedy at least 3-4 times a week to notice results. It also helps in getting rid of yellow teeth.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an effective ingredient when it comes to treating abscessed tooth. It is a natural anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and disinfectant that reduces the pain and swelling cause due to an abscessed tooth.
- Swish one tablespoon of raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar for few minutes
- Spit it out completely without swallowing it and rinse the mouth with warm water
- Alternatively you can mix one teaspoon of raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water and drink it twice a day
- Repeat this procedure daily until the pain and inflammation is completely gone.
Follow these home remedies to alleviate the problem of abscessed tooth and the symptoms associated with it.
- Natural Ways to Cure Autism
- Home Remedies for Anal Itching