Menstrual cramps are one of the worst experiences that every female undergoes in those few days of a month. The pain is so agonizing that all you would want is a magic wand that would cure the pain instantly. But sadly every female has to deal with the pain during periods. There are number of painkillers available in the market to ease the pain, but the question here is, how safe is it to take pain killers repeatedly every month? Nature has answers to every problem we have. There are various home remedies and quick fixes available that is easy, safe and has positive effects on the body unlike the OTC pain killers which comes with a set of side-effects.
Reason for Menstrual Cramps
- During periods, the inner uterine wall keeps shredding slowly. This takes place due to the production of the hormone, “prostaglandins”. This hormone is secreted during pain and pregnancy which helps in pushing the uterus lining out during labor.
- Another reason is that the uterus is devoid of blood due to the loss of blood from the body. So muscles contract and spasms occurs in the uterus causing cramping in the lower abdomen. Dysmenorrhea is the condition when a female suffers from extreme pain and loss of blood during periods.
Home Remedies for Menstrual Cramps
There are several home remedies for menstrual cramps to relive menstrual cramps, which are safer option than popping pills.
Ginger has been proven to be effective in reducing the prostaglandin levels in the uterus. It also fights against the pre menstrual syndrome and regulates the periods. Drinking ginger tea 2-3 times a day relaxes the abdominal muscles and reduces the pain during pain. This is the best natural home remedy for menstrual cramps.
Fennel has anti-spasmodic, phyto-estrogenic and anti-inflammatory properties that can help in relaxing the uterus muscles. It is greatly effective in curing irregular periods and severe flow during periods. Boil one spoon of fennel seeds in a cup of water on simmer flame. Strain the liquid and add a spoon of honey to it. Drink this thrice a few days prior to the periods. This reduces the cramps and pain during periods.
Hot water Bag/Bottle
Curl up with a hot water bag or bottle in the bed to get relief from the severe shooting pain during periods. It relaxes the muscles in the uterus and thus relieves the pain. Simple place the hot water bag on the abdomen and hips until you are comfortable. Taking a hot shower is extremely beneficial in alleviating the menstrual pain. It is the most comforting natural home remedy for menstrual cramps.
Yam is a nutrient rich food which prevents the spasms during periods. It also enhances the endorphin production in the body. This keeps the body energetic and free from pain and cramps. It should be included regularly in the daily diet to combat the severity of menstrual pain.
Carrots have found to be effective in fighting period pain. It is not only useful for enhancing the vision, but also regulates the periods. Drinking a glassful of carrot juice regularly avoids cramping during menstruation. Use them as a natural home remedy for menstrual cramps.
Carom seeds have digestive properties which reduces period bloats. Most of the time the period cramps become worse due to gas. Eating a spoon of carom seeds followed by a glass of luke warm water prevents gas and constipation. You can also boil two spoons of carom seed in a cup of water for 5-10 minutes. Strain this mixture and drink it along with a spoon of honey.
Blackstrap molasses have been used since ages for menstrual cramps because it is rich in calcium, iron, potassium, manganese, magnesium, vitamin B6 and selenium. It reduces the blood clots and soothes the uterine wall muscles. Add one teaspoon of blackstrap molasses to a glass of warm milk and drink it during period cramps.
Jaggery is rich in calcium and other minerals so it is used to restore the calcium loss during periods. It can be sued along with other ingredients like carom seeds and milk for enhanced effectiveness during menstrual cramps. Dry roast a spoon of carom seeds on a iron skillet. Add two spoons of jaggery to it and mix it until it turns into a thick syrup. Add this mixture in a glass of warm milk and drink it slowly. This home remedy for menstrual cramps is very effective in fighting against menstrual woes.
Fish Oil and Vitamin B1 Supplements
According to a study conducted by Global Journal of Health Sciences, 240 teens with menstrual cramps reported less pain when they took fish oil and vitamin B1 supplements. These supplements also reduce the length of pain and when used regularly, it reportedly diminishes the cramps overtime.
Other Tips to Reduce Period Cramps
Apart from the above home remedies for menstrual cramps, there are several simple tips that will helps in easing the pain and cramps. Use all the above natural home remedies for menstrual cramps to ease the pain simultaneously.
- Do not skip working out on periods but do not attempt strenuous workouts too!
- Try stretching and yoga poses to relieve the tension in the abdominal muscles.
- Drink warm water or sip some herbal tea throughout the day
- Increase your intake of magnesium from food like almonds or spinach.
- Improve your diet by replacing junk and gluten food with vegetables and fibre rich food.
- You can also try acupuncture to alleviate menstrual pain
- Massage with any essential oil such as lavender, helps in reducing the period pain
- Avoid drinking cold beverages and ice creams. Since cold food leads to clots and aggravates the pain.
- Take a shower only in warm water because cold water shrinks the muscles leading to worse cramping.
- Avoid food that leads to gas or constipation. Eat light and eat healthy during periods.