Some develop leg cramps with increasing age, while others have lived with them for an entire lifetime on and off. But one thing is common with all the patients of leg cramps, and that is excruciating pain. The pain during leg cramps is so extreme that some of the sufferers have reported that they felt like they were about to pass out. Yes, if leg cramps are intense, they can make your life hell. Many of us have had at least a few episodes of leg cramps, and the severity of which varies from mild to heart- rending. And the same holds true for the treatment methods also. Some ignore the minor leg cramps because the pain they go through is not that severe. Other go for a treatment because they cannot afford to ignore the sharp and unbearable pain. Out of those who choose to treat the condition, only a few go for home remedies for leg cramps. Rest all have frequent visits to the doctor, have a big hole in their pockets every month for treating what can simply be dealt with home remedies for leg cramps.
You are here to get some good home remedies for leg cramps, and yes, we have the best ones in the list for you. But if you are a long time sufferer of leg cramps, you would be disappointed after using these home remedies for leg cramps. Not because the home remedies for leg cramps given in subsequent sections will not do the work, but because they would do the magical healing in your cramps that you would regret spending your hard earned money of those useless drugs. Yes, all the money you have spent till now on the medicinal treatment of leg cramps has given you body all kinds of undesirable and sometimes unbearable side effects, as far as treatment was concerned, they only suppressed the symptoms of leg cramps for a small amount of time.
Every disease has a root cause and leg cramps also are no exception. Suppressing the symptoms is one things and treating the disease from its root is completely another deal. Medicinal cures in most of the cases focus on treating the symptoms and nobody cares about the cause of the disease. Why would someone care about a health problem that you are suffering from? It is you body and you own health and hence only you should value it. Whether it is leg cramps or some other issue going on in your body, start with the base of the problem so that you know where you have to come back after finishing the fight. Treating the symptoms will gradually move you to the root cause, and using home remedies for leg cramps, you will eventually delete the cause permanently.
Let us hence first understand why leg cramps happen at all. Leg cramps are not new and humans have been dealing with it since hundreds of years. Every activity we do involves the contraction and expansion of muscles. Over the time the muscles are prone to wear and tear, and especially the muscles of our legs. It is common to get spasms or cramps in the leg muscles during running or workouts. Some people get night cramps in the legs, during sleep that are extremely painful. Although it lasts only for some time, it sends a wave of pain in the body. This wave can be generated because of the following reasons:
Causes of Leg Cramps
- Restless leg syndrome: Also known as sleep disorder because it usually disturbs us right in the middle of the night, restless leg syndrome is known to cause leg cramps.
- Dehydration: Loss of water actually has nothing to do with leg cramps, but there are high chances that people who are dehydrated are also low in salt concentration in the human body. The lack of salt can definitely cause not only leg cramps but also cramps in other muscles.
- Stress or Fatigue: Stress or fatigue can cause stiffness in the muscles and the entire body. And you better know how much stiff muscles are prone to leg cramps and several other problems.
- Obesity: The well- known cause for leg cramps, yet the most common one is obesity. It is simple to understand, but very complex to control. You know you are obese and you are getting leg cramps and many other such sort pf problems, but still, you find it hard to loose those extra kilos.
- New or excess workouts: You may be a regular exerciser, but sometimes sudden change in the pattern of workout, or doing an excess of the same thing may prove to be breathtaking in the form of leg cramps. So, even if you stretch your muscles enough, you still have chances of getting into trouble.
- Leg injury: Some type of injury in the leg, more particularly injury relating to nerves can also become a source of leg cramps in some people.
- Deficiency of minerals or Electrolyte imbalance: These two factors are also very common. If you are suffering from frequent leg cramps, then it is possible that the cause behind it is something very serious like mineral deficiency or imbalance of electrolytes.
- Neural disorders: Many times it is observed that those who suffer from worst pain due to leg cramps are going through some type of neural disorder.
With so many causes listed above, we have many others yet to be described like pregnancy, flat feet or peripheral artery diseases. Whatever is the cause, we have home remedies for leg cramps arising due to any of the above- discussed reasons and also the reasons that are not talked about here. The following home remedies for leg cramps and quick tips will help you in getting relief from the painful cramps in legs and calf.
Home Remedies for Leg Cramps
Bananas are the most popular fruits in the United States and in a very short time; they will also become the most famous home remedies for leg cramps. Potassium deficiency in the human body is the common cause of cramps in the legs, and the lack of the same may also cause many other problems, and banana has a lot of potassium. If you are also one of those who are suffering from the problem of acute pain in legs due to insufficient potassium in their body, then bananas are the best home remedies for leg cramps. Bananas are a rich source of potassium and improve the potassium levels in the body.
How to use bananas
There is nothing much special to tell you about using bananas as home remedies for leg cramps as you all know how to eat a banana, but it is the quantity that affects the results.
- If you are on potassium supplement, eating one banana every day will be more than sufficient, but if you want to improve your health naturally, then you have to eat lots of bananas.
- The more bananas you eat every day, the faster you will improve. Eating a banana before bedtime helps in relieving leg cramps.
One of my friends was very active and health conscious. He used to run for miles and also had a perfectly balanced diet. But one day I got to know that he could not even walk for a few miles because of leg cramps. All the concepts about staying fit, working out for your body and eating healthy shattered in a minute, but then he told me the logic behind this. When we sweat a lot, sodium level in the blood drops down. This will trigger a lot of hormonal changes and these changes affect your legs. Hence the loss of salt can cause leg cramps, and restore those lost salts in your body are the best home remedies for leg cramps.
How to use salt
Since leg cramps can be caused due to electrolyte imbalance, maintaining that balance in the body with the help of common salt is a wise idea. These home remedies for leg cramps are meant for those who loose extra sweat due to their nature of work or while exercising.
- Sprinkle a dime sized salt on your hand and lick it. This simple act will restore the diminished electrolytes in the body and relieve the contraction of leg muscles.
- Apart from this, add salt to your salad, soup, and wherever you can.
Hot Compress and massage
Hot compress followed by a gentle massage on the muscles are the best, and also compulsory home remedies for leg cramps. No matter which home remedies for leg cramps you choose to use, but this is a mandatory addition you have to make in order to get rid of the muscle cramps soon. You can learn the best techniques of massaging with the help of internet.
How to use?
- Using a hot compress or electric pads on the legs during cramps helps in easing the cramps to a large extent.
- VapoRub can be applied on the skin before placing the hot bottles or compress on the affected area.
- It not only soothes the pain but is also considered to be one of the best home remedies for leg cramps.
- Followed by this, massage you leg with olive oil or coconut oil.
- This will give tremendous relief.
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is the king of all the home remedies for leg cramps and several other health ailments. Apple cider vinegar is common, and you might have heard about it from your grandparents, or a friend who is a real believer in the healing power of nature. The best part about using apple cider vinegar as home remedies for leg cramps is that you will also gain several other benefits by using the natural product right. The alkalizing effect that apple cider vinegar leaves into your body give the real soothing effect in leg cramps, muscle pain, abdominal pain, heartburn, and also bloating caused by improper digestion.
How to use apple cider vinegar
- You cannot actually drink it in a concentrated form, and hence should take it after diluting.
- Take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and mix it in a glass of lukewarm water.
- Drink it twice a day to get relief in all the symptoms of leg cramps. ACV is considered as one of the best home remedies for leg cramps by many.
Black strap molasses with milk
The milk and molasses are one of the very effective home remedies for leg cramps. With the use of blackstrap molasses with milk, you are killing the two most common causes of leg cramps- potassium deficiency and calcium deficiency. Most of the other home remedies for leg cramps works by taking acre of only one cause, but this one will take care of both at the same time.
How to use?
- To use milk with molasses as one of the home remedies for leg cramps, you have to mix equal amounts of the two ingredients to form a drinkable solution.
- Take about a cup of milk and heat it to high temperature. Remove before it overheats, and mix molasses till it forms a perfect solution.
- Allow it to cool and drink when it becomes appropriately cool. Also, follow all the instruction regarding the quantities used while preparing the decoction.
- Although drinking the solution once will be enough, but home remedies for leg cramps recommend you to use it once again if you see a minor improvement in the pain.
Magnesium supplements for Pregnant Women
Leg cramps are common in old aged people and athletes, but they are even more common among pregnant women. As the time of delivery approaches, the “would be mother” faces many challenges, and leg cramps are one of those very difficult problems that every woman has to deal with. For all those beautiful ladies, we have the best home remedies for leg cramps and magnesium supplement is one of them.
How to use?
- Pregnant women should consider taking magnesium supplements and eat magnesium-rich food.
- Taking 400mg of calcium before bedtime helps is proper processing of calcium in the body.
Chamomile and raspberry tea
Sometimes herbal teas like chamomile tea and raspberry tea prove to be very good home remedies for leg cramps. They are not only good for your legs and muscles but also contribute towards the betterment of your overall heath. Using these teas as home remedies for leg cramps from an early stage may also prevent the discomfort that is likely to occur in future.
How to use?
- Chamomile tea is an excellent anti-relaxant that helps in relaxing the muscles and nerves by increasing the levels of glycine.
- Drinking at least 4-5 cups of chamomile tea for a period of 2- 3 weeks is recommended for those suffering from leg cramps.
- Night leg cramps can also be cured by drinking raspberry tea 2-3 times a day.
- You may also consider eating fresh raspberries in breakfast for improved results.
Yellow mustard acts as a miracle for leg cramps, and especially those troubling you right in the middle of the night. This is one of the easiest ways to get instant relief in muscle cramps and that too naturally. Because it gives instant relief and has no side effects, it is one of the most popular home remedies for leg cramps among athletes.
How to use
- Mustard is popularly used by athletes to relieve cramps in muscles. The acetic acid in mustard stimulates the muscles and produces acetylcholine in the body.
- Take a tablespoon of yellow mustard whenever you have the pain in legs and other muscles and you will definitely get relief.
When it comes to relieving stress from your body and soothing the muscles craving for relief, Epsom salt has no match. No other home remedies for leg cramps can actually beat this one. Epsom salt is a magical treatment for leg cramps, and apart from this it also helps muscles and nerves function properly, helps in prevention of hardening of arteries and blood clots, and also eliminates toxins from your body.
How to use?
- You can prepare a solution by mixing a handful of Epsom salt in a bucket of water.
- Soak your legs in the solution for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- After this wash the legs with normal water and massage with an appropriate oil if you want.
- Apart from this, you can also soak yourself in a bath tub filled with the same solution.
- This will take care of the entire body rather than showing its effect on only muscles of legs.
- The ease of use and tremendous effectiveness make both the ways best home remedies for leg cramps.
With these home remedies for leg cramps, you will no more have to scream in the middle of a walk or in the gym or even during sleep. Although we have given you enough of home remedies for leg cramps, and with these you can easily get over the problem very fast, but we have some interesting tips for you. These tips have no scientific relation to the cure of leg cramps, and hence were not eligible to become a part of the list of home remedies for leg cramps, but some people over the internet and in real life swear by these. And how can home remedies for leg cramps miss on something that has been reported by millions of people as effective?
First one and the most famous one is the soap under the bed technique. This may sound weird, but many people suffering from the problem of leg cramps at night, swear by this trick. Simply place any soap bar between the mattress and bottom sheet and sleep over it. Another one is pointing your toes towards the nose. Yes, doing this as reported by many people has helped them in relieving the cramps instantly. And if you think these were a bit weird, weirdest ones are one the way. Avoid tucking your bed sheets too tight because this makes the toes to point out and leads to cramps. They say you should always sleep on loose-fitted sheets to keep the feet and toes relaxed and avoid cramps.
These were not all and as you move from country to country and continent to continent, you will get many tips like these. Pinching your upper lips provides instant relief to the cramping leg muscles. Some also believe in pinching the upper lip tightly. They say if you pinch the part between the upper lips and nose for 30 seconds or more until the muscles relax, your leg cramps will vanish. You may also try pressing the upper lip by placing the thumb inside the lip and index finger over the lips. All these tips are recommended by people who have tried, tested these quick home remedies for leg cramps on themselves.
However, these tricks cannot substitute the effectiveness of balanced diet, healthy lifestyle and drink lots of water. Yes, apart from the tips, and the home remedies for leg cramps, you also have to do some extra efforts if you really want to see the leg cramps going soon. First one is hydration. Dehydration causes the muscle to shrink and thus the painful cramps. Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated. If you are experiencing night leg cramps, drink at least 2 glasses of water before sleep.
Some also recommend doing yoga and stretching regularly. As far as tips are concerned, some would find them silly, other would laugh out on them, but we cannot deny that there are a lot of people who have used them. Not only they used them, but they also got rid of the nightmare of leg cramps. You can try any pf the above- stated tips as home remedies for leg cramps have ensured that none of them is harmful. Other than that, you have your all- time effective home remedies for leg cramps. Once you use them, only then you would realize the beauty and power of natural products and home remedies for leg cramps.