Every year, April is celebrated as IBS Awareness month. Did you know about it earlier? May be yes, may be no. You may be aware of the events that took place in the month of April 2016, just to make people familiar to IBS, or might have seen a few in the recent month. But if you aren’t aware of what was going on in last April around you, trust me by next April, you might develop an urgent need to know more about irritable bowel syndrome and everything else related to it. Those who are already suffering from the problem of irritable bowel syndrome, they very well now how much painful, difficult and torturing it is, but those who are lucky enough to digest their food properly might have to wait for some more time to have a taste of it. And if we critically look at the statistics, that time is not too far. Hence we have decided not to wait for April 2018, and make all of the people of the United States aware of not only irritable bowel syndrome but also the home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome.
Every year there are many campaigns that are dedicated to stomach related problems, but have you ever taken interest in any of them? Have you ever thought critically about irritable bowel syndrome, and also about using home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome? Is the disease so chronic that an entire month needs to be dedicated to it? You might not rank it as one of the most chronic and life-threatening diseases, but it surely is one of the most common disorders seen by physicians in the Unites States. If you look at the studies conducted in 2016, the data is enough to astonish you when it is still not complete.
More than $21 billion are spent every year on irritable bowel syndrome. This is a total of direct medical expenses and indirect losses (in the form of offs from work and less productivity). This whooping amount is spent every year on irritable bowel syndrome. And the expense of using home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome is not included in this because they cost negligible. You will realize the same once you go through all the home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome. It is obviously hard to believe but we have so many things right in front of us that together contribute to this amount.
In the United States alone, there are almost 3.5 million visits to the physician due to irritable bowel syndrome. This is when a majority of people suffer from mild irritable bowel syndrome and they either do not notice the symptoms or do not take things seriously. Many live with the problem and also take the disease with them to the grave as they don’t know what was making their mornings so difficult and days so horrible. According to reports, more than 30 million people in the United States are already suffering from irritable bowel syndrome and considering the quality of food, and lethargic lifestyle, the list is going to grow exponentially, that too really soon.
Do you know what irritable bowel syndrome is? Those who are suffering from the problem might know it very well, but those who are not sure of whether their stomach problem is irritable bowel syndrome or something else; here is the small and simple definition for you people. Irritable bowel syndrome is a gastrointestinal disorder also known as “spastic colon”. This is due to the irritability and irregularity in the movement of the intestines. It is studied that every 1 in 5 Americans suffers from this syndrome, still, no one talks about it in open and accept that they have the problem. This leads to major problems for those who are new in the gang of irritable bowel syndrome sufferers. They find it difficult to identify the exact problem. Not only this, they feel shy about telling their problem to anyone as they have not heard anyone discussing this in open. Here internet comes to help you, folks. Here you will get all the symptoms of herpes, match yours with the list to make sure you are also in need of home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome.
Symptoms of IBS
One very interesting thing to note here is the variability of symptoms. Yes, the same disease- irritable bowel syndrome may cause varying symptoms in different bodies. Either the intensity will differ, or you may go through a completely different experience than anyone else in this world if you too have irritable bowel syndrome. Hence we have given below the long list covering almost every possibility.
- Pain while going to the bathroom: If you feel pain while going to the bathroom in the morning, then something is wrong for sure. The pain may start with slight discomfort and gradually or suddenly become acute. Usually, people react only when the pain becomes chronic. If at all you rely on home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome, you will not have to bear the acute pain.
- Irregular bowel moments: You either will go to the bathroom many times a day, or you will have to wait for the natures call for several days. Despite regular and healthy eating, you will not be able to regularize your bowel moments in irritable bowel syndrome.
- Nervousness and mood swings: These are obvious but unbearable when you can’t tell anybody how you are feeling at the time when things are well inside your stomach. You can talk about fever, cancer, and everything else, but with irritable bowel syndrome, suffering in silence will make you either nervous or irritated.
- Abdominal pain: Sudden pain in the abdomen is obvious because you know everything is not well with your stomach. If the bowel moments are not regular, you will certainly suffer from abdominal cramps.
- Bloating: Due to gas or even without gas, your stomach will feel full. Sometimes you will find it protruding out unusually. Your appetite will also be affected by bloating. Gas also is one of the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
- Mucus in stool: At the later stages, you may also find mucus in your stool. In case you notice blood coming out with the stool, you must consult a doctor immediately and use the home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome only after you have reduced the symptoms to relatively mild intensity.
- Weight loss: This also is obvious. Food is responsible for all the energy and weight gain, and if food is not been digested properly, from where your body is going to gain weight. In fact, if the symptoms are really acute, you will reduce a lot of weight in short duration of time.
If you start using home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome at the time you develop the early signs of the disease, you can keep things under your control and your health will not be hampered much. But if you continue to ignore it, you may land yourself in trouble. If you are having a problem in your stomach, try to know every bit of it. If you critically evaluate your health, you will easily track down to the cause of irritable bowel syndrome. There can be many factors that mark the beginning of this problem, and each one has their own contribution in making your life hell, but the solution is pretty simple and easy- home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome. Stress, Allergy to a certain type of food, sudden hormonal changes, and a stomach problem called gastroenteritis, and sometimes imbalance between the good and bad bacteria in your stomach cause irritable bowel syndrome.
With this, we are absolutely done with every aspect of irritable bowel syndrome, and you have all the tools before starting the fight against the stomach issue. But wait, what about the home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome? This is the main tool and actually what you need to dig off the irritable bowel syndrome from your bowel. You might be using one of the many ways suggested by your doctor, and I am sure they are not home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome. Usually, doctors suggest everything other than home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome starting from simple dietary changes to expensive medicines for people with IBS. Some other doctors follow the simple way of tackling the symptoms and not addressing the root cause.
Confused? See, if you have diarrhea, he will prescribe a common anti-diarrheal medication such as Loperamide, Chloestyramine and Colestipol. These are bets to treat diarrhea, but after a few days, you may suffer from constipation because your IBS has not been treated yet. It was only diarrhea for which you were given treatment, not irritable bowel syndrome. You again visit the same doc and this time he will give you some very expensive fiber supplements. This cycle will continue until you try to address the root cause of the problem and not the symptoms. Again and again, you have to take leaves from office and pay the doctor a good portion of your earnings as long as you use the conventional system for treatment. If you want your life to be like this, we are perfectly okay with it, but in case you don’t have much time and money to waste, you can go for the following home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome.
Home Remedies for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Yogurt as one of the home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome? You may find it hard to digest, but only the fact is not easy to digest, yogurt is perfectly digestible and it also enhances the digestion of other substances into your stomach. Yogurt has lots of beneficial bacteria which forms a protective layer on the intestines and fight from harmful bacteria. It prevents the bacterial overgrowth by stimulating the secretion of lactic acid which flushes the bacteria out of the body. It can be taken as such or made smoothies by adding any fruit or vegetable to it, because of its potential as a really effective home remedy for irritable bowel syndrome. It should be taken several times a day to cure IBS completely.
Other health benefits of yogurt
How can something as normal as yogurt can cure irritable bowel syndrome? Right from treating digestion issues, to preventing certain types of cancers, and dealing with weight loss, yogurt has a name in every field. Apart from being nutritious, it is medicinally beneficially also. Yogurt is actually full of calcium, vitamin K2, vitamin D, magnesium, potassium, enzymes and omega 3 fatty acids. With so many useful and beneficial components, it is not a surprise that yogurt is considered to be a superfood.
How to use yogurt as home remedy for irritable bowel syndrome
- Yogurt is the most needed home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome but at the same time, it is most ignored one as well.
- You should eat yogurt regardless of the fact that you are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome or not. Gradual change will improve things inside your gut.
- If you are already suffering from irritable bowel syndrome or any other stomach related issue, eat 3 cups of plain yogurt followed by every meal daily until you get relief.
- You can continue eating the natural product even after recovering from the stomach disaster as it is healthy and beneficial.
Researchers prove that nothing can beat peppermint when it comes to soothing inflammatory pain in the gastrointestinal tract. Those who have irritable bowel syndrome may have had a taste of what I am referring to, and now it is time to taste some peppermint to end up your sufferings. Peppermint as one of the home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome has shown excellent results in almost all the users. Peppermint reduces symptoms like bloating and cramping. According to a study published in British Medical Journal, fiber, antispasmodics and peppermint oil is very effective in the treatment of IBS.
Other health benefits of peppermint
Right from breastfeeding mothers, to a person suffering from tuberculosis, peppermint has its uses for almost everyone in this world. It consists of menthol oil which soothes the muscles in the digestive tract thereby relieving gas, bloating, cramps and intestinal spasms. This makes it one of the best home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome. In addition to this, peppermint can also help in cancer prevention, memory boosting, saving you from certain type pf allergies etc.
How to use peppermint in irritable bowel syndrome
- Add 2-3 drops of peppermint oil to one-fourth cup of warm water and drink it 3-4 times a day. This is the ultimate solution and one of the best home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome.
- Peppermint tea also can be prepared by steeping dried leaves in hot water for 10 minutes. It is one of the best home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome.
Fennel seeds are also one of the home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome. Fennel seeds are effective in digestion and relieve intestinal spasms and bloating issues in the stomach. The fat accumulated in the intestine inhibits the overproduction of mucus that leads to IBS. Fennel seeds are known to eliminate fat from the intestines and thus prove to be a great remedy for IBS.
Other health benefits of fennel seeds
They have been long used as home remedies for flatulence and stomach issues, also they are home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome, but they are also a way to increase breast milk production.
How to use fennel seeds as home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome?
- Crush half spoon of fennel seeds and boil it in a cup of water. Steep it for 10 minutes and then strain it to obtain the herbal tea.
- Take this fennel seeds tea twice or thrice a day till there is relief in the symptoms.
- Alternatively, you can also dry roast fennel seeds and take them directly with water if you can.
Falxseed, those black seeds that you can’t judge by looking at are amazingly beneficial for irritable bowel syndrome as well as all other stomach related problems. They are one of the most used home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome. Flaxseeds are not at all appealingly good in taste, nor they are inviting by looks, but it is the health factor that makes them the most used home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome.
Other health benefits of flaxseeds
Flaxseed contains tons of vitamins and minerals that will help stomach heal and also will regularize the bowel moments. If you look at the list of healing properties of flaxseed, you will be even more surprised. All thanks to the amazing composition of flaxseed, they are home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome, and also are preventative remedies for heart attack and cancer, goitre and other diseases. Using flaxseed paste as one of the home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome will also save you from the biggest killers of the time. In Ayurveda (Ancient Indian Medicine) also the flaxseed paste has been used for a long time now to reduce the pain and inflammation for any health ailments.
How to use flaxseed for treating irritable bowel syndrome?
- Dry roast a handful of flaxseeds for only one minute. They will turn light brown in color gradually.
- Allow them to cool down and once they are cold enough, grind them in a grinder.
- If you want, you can also add water to the grinder. Your flaxseed is ready to be eaten. This is the way to use flaxseeds as home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome.
Ginger reduces gas and bloating and thus it is recommended as one of the home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome. It has anti-inflammatory properties which help in reducing the inflammations in the intestines and relaxes the muscles, thus ginger teas are mostly preferred home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome.
Other health benefits of ginger
Ginger has been long used for healing the common infections like cold, fever, throat related problems, and also digestion. It also raises the overall disease fighting capability of your body.
How to use ginger as a treatment for irritable bowel syndrome?
- Make ginger tea by adding freshly grated ginger to a cup of boiling water and steeping it for 10 minutes.
- Drink this tea two or three times a day depending on the severity of the symptoms.
- The grated ginger can also be taken directly by mixing it with a spoon of honey. This mixture should be taken before meals to get rid of diarrhea and improve the process of digestion. It is one of the best home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome.
Cabbage contains sulfur and chlorine that cleanses the mucus membrane of the stomach and intestinal tract. It has laxative properties which ease the bowel movements and keeps the body hydrated, which is what anyone would expect from home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome.
Other health benefits of cabbage
Cabbage juice is excellent in dealing with stomach disorders, skin problems and also headaches. One glass of cabbage juice can give you relief in almost every part of your body.
How to use cabbage
- Wash a fresh cabbage and cut it into small pieces.
- Using a juicer, extract the juice of the cabbage and drink one-half glass at a time.
- This can be done three to four times a day depending on the severity of IBS.
- It is important to check for suitability of this home remedy for irritable bowel syndrome before bringing it into regular use because in some people cabbage causes bloating and flatulence.
Minor changes with significant impact on your stomach
Along with these home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome and prescribed medicines it is very important to keep the body active and moving. Bloating and gas can also be due to long working hours or lack of exercise. So it is important to workout every day so that the body releases natural pain-killing hormones such as endorphins. It not only fights pain and cramping during IBS but also helps in easing the process of digestion. Apart from this, you can also rely on some lifestyle changes that would help you get better really soon. I would not include it in the list of home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome, but they indeed are very crucial in determining your overall health as well as stomach health.
IBS can be overcome by making certain changes in lifestyle for a long-term relief from the syndrome. The following are the various lifestyle changes compulsory for people with IBS
- Take fiber rich fruits and vegetables
- Avoid fried and fatty food items
- Eat at regular intervals
- Check for lactose intolerance and then consume milk or milk products
- Keep yourself hydrated
- Exercise regularly to prevent bloat
- Use anti-diarrheal and laxatives with caution
These were the home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome and you can use them without even thinking about the side effects if you trust them. Even if you are new to home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome, you can give them chance thinking about the side effects of the medicines you are on till today. So, now you don’t have to wait for April 2018 to become aware of the most common digestive problem that is bothering many people in the United States, and probably you too have become a victim.
A nonprofit organization, International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorder (IFFGD), has been active in the field of irritable bowel syndrome and they only try to make people know more and more about the disease. Since 1997, April has been celebrated as the month of IBS awareness. They make efforts in every direction so that people do not suffer in silence. But today, the internet has evolved as a new source where you can speak and talk while being silent. You can talk about your problems on forums and share your experiences without revealing your identity. This is making all of us use the internet more, at least for a disease like herpes, constipation and irritable bowel syndrome, on which we are not comfortable talking in public.
This is simply amazing and we all enjoy it. But there are drawbacks too. You sometimes rely on unauthenticated information and many other times follow the directions given by incomplete information. We have such a huge amount of information, but getting everything at one place, and that too in correct form is still difficult. Some of the websites will tell you all the medicines for irritable bowel syndrome, but they will smartly hide the side effects. At the same time, many other would song the tone of their own products and will tell all the good things about them. Being honest and working towards your health is a rare thing you will find somewhere today. It hence again becomes your responsibility to use the resources like internet wisely.
In the same way, it is your body, and your health is your own responsibility. If you buy expensive pills, they are going to leave a big hole in our pocket, and at the same time, you will see some side effects induced in your body. Once you buy antibiotics, the seller is going to get profit, but the effects the medicine will generate after entering into your body are to be borne by you only. Nobody is going to share your health, and hence you should think about what to use to treat irritable bowel syndrome- home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome, or medicinal treatments for the same.
Your health is your responsibility and it is your decision to choose between the healthiest, effective, and cost-effective and side effect free home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome and instantly effective expensive drugs that are full of side effects.