Gingivitis is often referred to as the silent killer because, by the time you get to know about the infection, it might have done much damage to the tooth or tissues. Gingivitis refers to a mild infection in the gums, the severity of which varies greatly. It is also said that almost all of us suffer from gingivitis at some point in our lives, and since the severity can be extremely mild, we don’t even realize what is going on inside. Gums are tissues that connect your teeth with the jaw, and they have a very crucial role to play. Apart from being a binding agent, gums are a house for many types of infections and gingivitis is one of them. Like many other facts, there is one more statement about gingivitis. If you leave it untreated, or if you do not experience any noticeable symptoms of gingivitis and it becomes severe, it can make your life hell. Thankfully we have home remedies for gingivitis that help us to get out of the problem.
Yes, there are some really effective home remedies that can not only treat gingivitis but they are also known to prevent its occurrence in future. These home remedies for gingivitis will also help you in dealing with the symptoms of the painful gum disease. Some people develop such infection in the gums and are not even aware of the fact that they have something wrong going on inside. Whatever is your case, you might have the following problems if you have gingivitis:
- The gingivitis is characterized by strange irritation in the gum. The irritation may soon grow up into pain, or can also remain as it is.
- If you can look inside your mouth, the gum which was itching badly also would be red in color. Usually, the gums are pinkish in color, but the infection in gingivitis makes it red.
- Swelling in the gums is the most common symptom of gingivitis. Sometimes, the swelling is so severe that you won’t be able to open up your mouth, and the other times it is ignorable.
- Puffiness of the gums is also observed in patients suffering from gingivitis. The puffiness will be followed by bad breath. You might think bad breath as an output of the food you ate last night, but actually, they are the bacteria that are spoiling the gums and also your breathe.
- Your teeth may become loose at a later stage of gingivitis and bleeding is also seen in many cases. Bleeding will be more prominent while flossing or brushing. You can avoid these painful circumstances with home remedies fro gingivitis.
If you are lucky enough, you will be able to sense the unusual bacterial infection going on in your gums, and if you are not that lucky, gingivitis will be diagnosed at a very late stage. Once you are diagnosed with gingivitis, the dentist will recommend you a bundle of antibiotic. The bundle will usually comprise of two types of medicines- one will be pain relieving drugs and the other ones will be anti- bacterial medicines. What if I tell you that both these can be achieved by a single home remedy. We have a list of home remedies for gingivitis which will not only reduce your pain and sufferings but will also help in killing the bacteria residing inside the gum. So, if you are in pain and it is the gum causing it, you can take help of the following home remedies for gingivitis.
Home Remedies for Gingivitis
Swishing warm and salty water around your mouth is something we all have done either to get rid of a sore throat or for some other reason. But we never take it as something medicinally beneficial for various parts of our mouth. We often ignore the power of saline water because it is simple to make and even simpler to use. Right from the throat to the gums, saline water is one of the universal home remedies for gingivitis that has many other benefits too. Saline water is one of the simplest and easiest possible home remedies for gingivitis. But how does it work? Saline water removes the plaques inside the mouth and gums and hence improves the oral hygiene. Oral hygiene is the most prominent reason behind gingivitis, so, regular use of saline water can decrease your chances of suffering from gingivitis. Let us have a look at the use of this tool against gingivitis.
- Using saline water as one of the home remedies for gingivitis is the simplest method.
- All you have to do is grab a spoon of salt from your kitchen and mix it in a glass of lukewarm water.
- Daily prepare this solution and rinse your mouth with it till the swelling and pain in the gums disappear.
- Higher concentrations of sodium chloride draw water from surrounding tissues by osmosis, which helps heal abscesses and open wounds such as canker sores and gingivitis.
- Make sure you let the salty water reach every corner of the mouth so that it can clean up all the parts hosting bacteria or plaque.
Turmeric contains curcumin, which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Curcumin is responsible for reducing plaque, pain, swelling, and inflammation in the gums. In addition to this, it can also reduce bacterial activity to prevent ant type of infection from occurring during gingivitis, making it a really effective home remedy for gingivitis. You can use turmeric alone or in combination with other such ingredients. Turmeric alone can do a lot in healing gingivitis, but other products like neem powder and alum in combination are unbeatable home remedies for gingivitis.
- If you want to use turmeric as one of the home remedies for gingivitis alone, make a thick paste of turmeric by mixing a half tablespoon of it in a tablespoon of water.
- Apply this paste on the swollen gums to get relief from the painful condition twice every day.
- Alternatively, you can also make a paste by mixing equal amount of turmeric, neem powder, and alum. Use this paste as toothpaste every morning and you will never get the problem in gums.
- Simple rubbing of turmeric on the gums affected by gingivitis is tremendously effective home remedies for gingivitis, but when combined with the other two natural ingredients, this seriously has no match.
- The taste of the powder thus formed may be bitter, but it is going to change your oral health forever.
Baking soda also is on of the most effective home remedies for gingivitis. Being alkaline in nature, baking soda acts on gums affected by gingivitis by neutralizing acids that make the infection irritating and painful. Baking soda is also used to prevent the growth of bacteria and keep the gums infection free. It works towards killing the bacteria by making the pH of mouth unfavorable for the bacteria to grow and replicate. So, it is beneficial in more than just one way in gingivitis. We all have used it for various purposes like cleaning the household items, getting relief from stomach problems or in cooking, but it is time to say good- bye to gingivitis using baking soda. Just like salt, baking soda also helps in removing plaque. This ensures a better oral hygiene and hence a better oral health.
- Just like all the other home remedies for gingivitis, this also is simple to use and highly effective. You just have to mix one tablespoon of baking soda in an approximately half cup of water and rinse your mouth with this mixture twice daily.
- Take lukewarm water for best results rather than using cold water. In salt water also you can use lukewarm water instead of mixing the salt in hot or cold water.
- You can also use it as a replacement to the conventional toothpaste you might have been using before getting gingivitis.
- It is not a good idea to use conventional toothpaste when you have the problem of gingivitis.
- You can use baking soda as a substitute to your toothpaste or use baking soda after adding it to the turmeric paste.
- Brush your teeth daily with baking soda instead of toothpaste to let the gums heal quickly.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties, hence it is recommended for treating chronic gingivitis, proving its efficiency as one of the potent home remedies for gingivitis. It can give quick relief from irritated and inflamed gums. Tea tree oil is also antiseptic in nature and hence you can make it a companion of your toothpaste to ensure a good oral health and hygiene. You might have used tea tree oil to treat acne or any other skin issue, but using tea tree oil as one of the home remedies for gingivitis is also equally effective.
- Use tea tree oil toothpaste to brush your teeth daily. There are some paste which you can use in gingivitis and they are loaded with tea tree oil.
- If such toothpaste is not available, add a drop of tea tree oil to your regular toothpaste every time you brush your teeth. You can also use a tea tree oil-containing gel.
- You can also rub the tea tree oil directly on the gums affected by gingivitis.
- Before using tea tree oil directly, always dilute it with mild oil like coconut oil.
- Coconut oil has its own benefits and by mixing the two, you reduce the chances of burning your skin, and at the same time, you are increasing the medicinal capabilities of tea tree oil.
What can be easier and convenient than grabbing some ice cubes from the freezer? Although the same cannot be said about applying, yes, ice cubes are home remedies for gingivitis. Giving a cold compress to your gums makes the burns disappear faster and also reduces inflammation. Ice cubes are used in gingivitis and many other ailments because it is excellent at relieving pain. By making the cells coming in contact with the ice numb, the ice cubes relieves you from acute pain temporarily. This can be temporary, but you can repeat the process as many times as you like.
- You can take some ice cubes and wrap them in a cloth, as applying ice directly on the skin is not a good idea.
- Rub that cloth gently on the affected area of gums for a few minutes, and you will surely get relief from pain and swelling.
- You can do the same twice in a day till you find the burning sensation completely disappearing.
- Make sure you do it after giving some gap between this and other home remedies for gingivitis. Most of the home remedies for gingivitis are using warm water and hence applying ice right after using any of the home remedies for gingivitis is not a good option.
Guava leaves are considered effective for providing relief from toothaches and gum disease due to their antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and analgesic properties. Plus, the guaijaverin in guava leaves acts as an anti- plaque agent. With so many medicinal properties, you can use guava as one of the home remedies for gingivitis. It is not only easy to use but also is extremely easy to get. Guava leaves are not only used to treat gingivitis, but they are also excellent remedies for infections, bad breath, mouth ulcers and canker sores. Let us see how to use them as home remedies for gingivitis.
- It is extremely easy to use guava leaves in gingivitis. Rinse and clean a few guava leaves thoroughly.
- Chew them and then spit out. Do this twice daily for at least a few weeks. This is one of the best home remedies for gingivitis.
- Alternatively, you can boil 8 to 10 leaves of guava in a glass of water for a few minutes.
- When the water is lukewarm, add a pinch of salt and gargle with it. Just like saline water, this is beneficial for the entire oral cavity.
- Alternatively, there is a tasty way to use guava as one of the home remedies for gingivitis. Eat the tasty and tangy guava fruit without peeling the outer skin. Sprinkle some salt and let the juice penetrate deeper into the gums before swallowing the bites.
- This way you can improve the oral hygiene and also treat gingivitis.
The ability of aloe vera to reduce the periodontal indices has been acknowledged I several studies conducted on oral health and dental management. Aloe vera can be used as one of the home remedies for gingivitis, especially when the reason behind your sufferings is the plaque. Aloe plant is generally called first aid plant as it can be used in almost every skin ailment to give instant relief. It is so because of excellent skin repairing, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that aloe vera gel has. Due to all these, it is the first thing that comes to our mind when we see ailing gums in our mouth because it is also one of the best home remedies for gingivitis. The Journal of Indian Society on Periodontology, in its July 2013 issue has talked about the use of aloe vera as one of the home remedies for gingivitis.
- All you have to do is take an aloe vera leaf, tear it apart from the middle and the gel which comes out of it is what you need.
- Apply that gel swiftly on the gums to see gingivitis vanishing very fast. Repeat this practice two times a day till you feel the skin is uneven.
- If it is not possible to get the leaf, you can go for aloe vera ointment which can be taken from any grocery store but go for the most natural one. It will definitely stop pain and reduce redness.
Sage is not only one of the home remedies for gingivitis, but according to the journal of agriculture and food chemistry, the sage herb can directly treat gingivitis due to the medicinal properties it carries. Sage is a natural herb that can be used to treat gingivitis. It is very effective in relieving pain and offering quick healing by killing all the bacteria and viruses. It is also helpful in reducing inflammation and soreness. Sage is the last in the list of home remedies for gingivitis, but it has maximum benefits for your mouth, gums, and oral cavity.
- All you have to do is prepare a concoction of sage and drink it twice daily.
- To prepare the mixture, take a cup of water and bring it to boil.
- Add approximately two tablespoons of dried sage leaves to the boiling water. You can get the dried sage leaves from a health store, and in case you can’t, simply look for it on the internet. There are many companies selling the herb online.
- Boil it after covering with a lid for a few minutes. Allow it to cool and then rinse your mouth a few times with this solution to treat gingivitis. This is one of the best home remedies for gingivitis.
- In case you have access to the fresh sage leaves, you can use them, but reduce the quantity to one tablespoon only.
- Sometimes rubbing fresh sage leaves is also reported to be beneficial by many gingivitis patients.
It is important to keep some handy cure for gingivitis at home as it is extremely common and also unbearably painful. You can make things easy for you and say good- bye to these painful gums problem in just a couple of days instead of bearing them for weeks with the help of home remedies for gingivitis. It is not necessary to bring the cure home, but you can find effective cures at home itself with the help of the above discussed natural home remedies for gingivitis.
Apart from the home remedies for gingivitis, we should also look deeper to find out the cause of gingivitis if it is troubling you again and again. Sometimes an uncontrollable factor like diabetes, pregnancy or genetic factors might be causing it. But many other times it is seen that common culprit behind gingivitis is poor oral hygiene. We can control it by improving the hygienic practices. It is seen that we take care our face to save it from acne, we also take care of other parts of our body, but ignore the gums. You should keep in mind whatever we eat enters our body after being chewed by the teeth. If we neglect even a minor problem in our gums and teeth, it can become dangerous. No matter how much healthy food we eat, if we have bacteria living in our gums, they will ultimately make the food also unhygienic.
In fact, in many cases of gingivitis, it is observed that the patient is unable to eat anything. If you use home remedies for gingivitis on time, this is not going to be the case with you, but yes, people switch to liquid diet. The pain and unbearable discomfort make them do so. But you are lucky enough to have all the above- stated home remedies that will save your gums as well as the stomach. Use them regularly and while following the instructions given to get best results. One you are done with gingivitis, don’t assume that it will not come back. The day you compromise with oral hygiene will be the day you start inviting the trouble for yourself. You might not have understood the importance of brushing your teeth daily till now, but once you go through the pain which you could have avoided, you realize the value of the minor act.
Brushing the teeth has a prominent role to play in maintaining oral hygiene. Sometimes gingivitis is not ready to leave you for much time even after using the home remedies for gingivitis; in that case, the doctor might prescribe you an electric toothbrush. The key is to keep the things deep inside your mouth clean and infection free. You can do it with flossing, or brushing or by using the home remedies for gingivitis once in a while even when you feel no symptoms of the problem.