Osteophytes, bone spur or bony projections all signify the same painful condition of bones which sometimes give you unbearable pain around the edges of bones. If you can afford to ignore them, by doing so, you are actually letting the condition take the form of the more severe disease- osteoarthritis. In fact, in most of the cases, bone spur and heel spur are the first signs of osteoarthritis. So, if you were busy with important meetings, office schedule, or household chores and were neglecting sharp pain in your bones, it is high time you wake up for yourself. If you still manage to live with the pain in your joints, trust me, you will have to find ample of time to recover shortly. For those who are a bit concerned about their health, let us see some excellent home remedies for bone spur and some other facts associated with bone spur.
Do you know why bone spur attacks you? Have you ever give a thought to what is going on wrong with your bones? Due to continuous and excess of pressure on a specific point, some bones appear to be highly projected. It may also occur due to gradual wear and tear of bones. The usual victims of this condition are the bones near hips, joints, spine, knees, hands, and shoulders. The patient suffering from bone spur undergoes from acute pain and also experience inflexibility in joints. Bone spur occurs due to reasons we hardly can do anything about. For instance, it may occur due to aging, change in the calcium regime of the body, tissue degeneration, general wear, and tear, or physiological changes. All of these are natural and accept keeping a check on the calcium levels in our body; we can hardly do anything about the causes of bone spur. So, we are left with the expensive medicines and painful injections, and sometimes both painful and expensive surgeries.
Do you also think that these are the only ways to treat bone spur? Well, thankfully, we have home remedies for bone spur. These home remedies for bone spur are the best we can give to our bones in terms of effectiveness, and they are also ultimately beneficial as they save our body from a dozen of side effects that the pain relieving medicines induce. Yes, there is no medicine till date that is free from potential side effects, and some of the heavy doses which we usually are recommended in problems like bone spur are really harmful for long term use. It is hence better to go for the home remedies for bone spur and if we act smartly by keeping an eye on the symptoms, it will be really easy to deal with the problem.
We cannot do much in avoiding the disease, but can surely sense its presence early by checking on the symptoms and acting early is totally in our hands and also in our favor. For this, we have discussed in detail some home remedies for a bone spur that strengthens our bones and minimize our pain and sufferings.
Home Remedies For Bone Spurs
Having a bath in water treated with Epsom salt gives instant relief in pain and inflammation specifically arising out of any problem in your bones. This is a proven method and also one of the potent home remedies for bone spur. Epsom salt was discovered in 1618 by a farmer in Epsom, England, whose cows avoided drinking from a pond that contained the salt. Since then, the salt has emerged out as the ultimate solution to all the skin problems, bone ailments as well as pain in the body. Using Epsom salt also is pretty easy, making it the most loved of all the home remedies for bone spur.
How to use Epsom salt
- Mix Epsom salt in hot water to make a thick paste.
- Soak a towel in it and ring out any excess liquid from the towel. Put it on your back, near and around the aching area.
- The heat from the towel will also reduce any swelling. If you find it a bit uncomfortable, you can also add two cups of Epsom salt to your bathwater and soak your body in it for half an hour.
- Mix two cups of Epsom salt in a bathtub of warm water and soak yourself into that for half an hour.
- Home remedies for bone spur recommend using lukewarm water if you are planning to soak your self in the bath tub.
- People with kidney problem should not try this remedy and choose the other ones. There is no need to do it daily, you can do it every alternate day.
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a name you will find if you want help in any kind of bone ailment. Apple cider vinegar is the king of all the home remedies for bone spur and several other health ailments. Apple cider vinegar is common, and you might have heard about it from your grand parents, or a friend who is a real believer in the healing power of nature. The best part about using apple cider vinegar as home remedies for bone spur is that you will also gain several other benefits by using the natural product right. The alkalizing effect that apple cider vinegar leaves into your body give the real soothing effect in leg cramps, muscle pain, abdominal pain, heartburn, and also bloating caused by improper digestion.
How to use apple cider vinegar against bone spur
- Apple cider vinegar is one of the best of remedies for bone spur, provided you know how to use it. You cannot actually drink it in a concentrated form, and hence should take it after diluting.
- Take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and mix it in a glass of lukewarm water.
- Drink it twice a day to get relief in all the symptoms of a bone spur. ACV is considered as one of the best home remedies for bone spur by many, and you will definitely agree with it once you start using it.
- You can also soak a cotton towel in the solution of apple cider vinegar and apply this towel to the bone affected by a bone spur. This also will help to alleviate the pain and give your bones a soothing treat.
Flaxseed is helpful in dealing with acute pain and reducing inflammation, as it contains alpha-linolenic acid, a type of omega- 3 fatty acids. You can use flaxseed oil as a natural home remedy for bone spurs. Also eating flaxseeds meets the nutritional deficiencies and you get all that your body needs to save yourself from a bone spur. Yes, you can actually avoid the pain and discomfort caused by bone spur by eating the nutritious food also. We will talk about what you should eat if you want to prevent the painful condition from occurring once we are done with the home remedies for bone spur.
How to use flaxseed oil
- Dip a towel in lukewarm flaxseed oil and then bandage the affected bone with that cloth. If hot oil bandage is not something you are comfortable with, you can use flax seeds for massaging the bone.
- Tie a cup of flaxseeds in a cloth and rub them on the affected area after heating for a few seconds in the microwave. Repeat the same twice in a day to improve your condition.
- If you can accommodate these in your diet, it will be much more beneficial.
If you want to get rid of the most commonly occurring symptoms of bone spur like inflammation and acute pain, you should treat it with ice cubes regularly. It will also help relax the muscles in the affected area. For all the patients who have had it for the first time, ice is a real pain reliever. Giving a cold compress to the bones in pain makes them relax faster and also reduces inflammation. Almost all the doctors recommend you using this and also some other home remedies for bone spur. You also might have tried it earlier. The cold temperature helps bring down the initial swelling and reduces pain by numbing the affected area. Pain may return after a few hours but you can repeat it as many time as you feel like.
How to give the aching bones a cold compress
- The ice pack is the best way to give cold compress as it not only reduces the acute pain that is common in bone spur but also works on the other symptoms like tenderness and inflammation.
- Using an ice pack on bone spur is very easy. But home remedies for bone spur does not recommend you to apply the ice cubes directly.
- The better way to apply this home remedy for bone spur is by taking some ice cubes and wrapping them in a cloth, as applying ice directly on the skin is not a good idea.
- Rub that cloth gently on the affected joint for a few minutes, and you will surely get relief from pain and swelling.
- You can do the same twice in a day till you find the bone spur symptoms disappearing.
- If you feel relieved in pain and other symptoms, it won’t harm even if you use this thrice a day.
Chamomile and raspberry tea
Chamomile is gaining popularity because of the amazing health and pain relieving benefits. Many people have already replaced their normal tea with either of the herbal teas and if you are a bone spur patient, then you should also do it immediately. These herbal teas can help bring great relief from the discomforts associated with bone spurs. Both of them have anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties that help reduce inflammation and pain. Chamomile and raspberry teas prove to be very good home remedies for bone spur. They are not only good for your bones and muscles but also contribute towards the betterment of your overall health.
How to use?
- Chamomile tea is an excellent anti-relaxant that helps in relaxing the muscles and nerves by increasing the levels of glysine.
- Add 1 tablespoon of dried or fresh chamomile flowers to a cup of hot water. Cover and steep for 10 minutes, then allow it to cool. Use this water to wash the affected area.
- Drinking at least 4-5 cups of chamomile tea for a period of 2- 3 weeks and even longer period of time is recommended for those suffering from bone spur
- A bone spur can also be cured by drinking raspberry tea 2-3 times a day.
- You may also consider eating fresh raspberries in breakfast for improved results.
By now we all know what turmeric is and have heard its name in curing one or the other disease. Turmeric has a component named curcumin that is said to reduce bursitis pain and this component is also responsible for many other medicinal properties of turmeric. It has got excellent anti-inflammatory properties also that enhance the healing process inside the body acting as home remedies for bone spur. Turmeric is something you would see almost everywhere. The entire world is going mad about the amazing medicinal and therapeutic properties of turmeric. It can treat everything from a small cut on your skin to the wounds in your intestine to the acute pain in bursitis. Turmeric now needs no explanation and we all know that it does wonders for our health and in treating diseases. While dealing with bone spur also one can count on turmeric. It is one of the most preferred products used by humans for healing purposes since ancient times, and from today onwards would be one of the most preferred home remedies for bone spur.
How to use turmeric as a home remedy for bone spur
- Although drinking it raw with milk may not be a much tasty choice, but it has many health benefits.
- Boil a glass of water before you go to bed every night.
- If you want a speedy recovery, mix half tablespoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk and drink it daily.
- The taste may not be that good, but it will kill the bone spur caused by aging as well as by any type of infection.
- Some even apply the paste of turmeric on the aching bone and these folks report that turmeric work as an instant pain reliever. So, you can try this too.
Ginger is known for adding flavor and aroma to food, but this root has several medicinal benefits as well. Adding a small amount of ginger to the tea adds much more taste and flavor to it. But more than just a flavor enhancer, ginger is a health booster and also home remedies for bursitis. Due to the unbelievable antibiotic and anti inflammatory properties that ginger carries, it can help us in fighting the acute pain and swelling, proving its worth as potent home remedies for bone spur. Apart from this, it is also helpful in enhancing the immunity of human body. This means it saves you from many days to day minor infections as well as some painful diseases like bone spur.
How to use ginger and get rid of bone spur?
- Ginger is a wonder herb not only because of the long list of medicinal benefits but also because of the flexibility of use. Grate a small amount of ginger and add it to the cup of hot water you are going to use to make tea.
- Strain the ginger and add the tea bag to hot water. Drink it daily once to keep the bone related problems like bone spur at bay.
- You can have it in grated or crushed form mixed with equal amount of honey if you do not prefer to use the tea and soup ideas both.
- You can even add ginger to your soups and veggies if you don’t like tea, or don’t drink any kind of tea regularly.
- If you can manage to get ginger oil, give the area a soothing massage with that. If you do not have access to natural ginger, you can even go for tablets that are easily available in markets.
Also known as sodium borate or a salt of borate, just like Epsom salt, this also is kind of a salt which looks like Epsom but has slightly different medicinal properties. If you have bone spur in your heel, you can use borax to treat it. It has all the vital minerals necessary for bone health and it is also a natural home remedy for bone spurs. Using borax reduces the amount of pain and inflammation in the bone spur. All this makes borax solutions good home remedies for bone spur.
How to use borax as home remedy for bone spur
- Mix a teaspoon of borax to five cups of water, preferably cold and chlorinated water.
- Make sure you mix it well and soak your feet in that water for about half an hour. This is best of you are fighting with the bone spur in bones of feet or hand. For neck etc, you will have to prepare a paste and then the paste will have to be applied to the aching part. But, borax is best when used a s a solution. So, we have other home remedies for bone spur for the parts which cannot be soaked in the borax solution.
- You can repeat the same day until you get the desired results. It is best to practice it at bedtime to maximize the benefit.
With the home remedies for bone spur discussed above, you will definitely get rid of the bone problem naturally. And this is not all the above -stated home remedies for bone spur will do for you, but they can save your body from a dozen of side effects that the medicines induce only for the sake of suppressing the symptoms temporarily. This is why every bone spur patient is mad about home remedies for bone spur, and this reason I believe is strong enough to quit the conventional high doses of pain reliever and switch to the natural healing methods. These natural healers when combined with a few tips to treat bone spur leave all the medicinal treatment far behind.
And the very first thing every bone spur patient should do after transiting to home remedies for bone spur is to have a bone oriented diet. You should take care of your bones, their needs and what will be best for them while choosing what you eat. While you set your meal plans, keep in you’re your food contains enough of calcium, fatty acids, magnesium, calcium and vitamins D, E and K in order to avoid the painful condition, and a very potent natural home remedy for bone spurs. All these are effective in reducing inflammation caused by bone spurs. Vitamin D and K help keep your bones strong and prevent abnormal bone and cartilage mineralization. Magnesium and calcium help relieve pain from bone spurs and there are many natural sources of magnesium and calcium. Go grab these foods today.
Also, in most of the bone related problems, you will be told to have complete rest. The part suffering from problem should not be moved, but in the case of a bone spur, it is a bit different. You should try to move the joints swiftly and try to work out with the joints. Not tough and breath taking work out, but some simple and easygoing exercises can be helpful as a natural home remedy for bone spurs patients. It not only improves mobility but also enhances blood circulation. But it is important to do it the right way, putting too much of stress can be harmful. Practice some starching of legs and arms, walk for 15 minutes daily. You can even practice yoga and meditation.
With all these natural home remedies for bone spur, you can give your bone issues a tough fight in a natural way. In order to avoid any painful health condition such as bone spur, you should start taking care of your bones and health at an early stage itself. You don’t need medicinal treatments of injections once you combine their home remedies for bone spur with the correct lifestyle chosen according to the condition of your bones. So, you have all the right tools, and now it all depends on you- which way you want your bones to be, healthy flexible and strong with home remedies for bone spur, or rigid and aching with medicines.