Bladder infection is also known as cyctitis. It occurs by bacterial infection of urethra. It is said that women are more prone to bladder infections that men. The reason being the women have shorter urethras then men which makes it easier for the bacteria to reach the bladder.
Factors Causing Bladder Infections
- Surgery in urinary tract
- Urinary catheter
- Urinary tract abnormalities
- Narrow urethra
- Enlarged prostrate
- Bowel Incontinence
- Unhygienic washrooms
Symptoms of Bladder Infection
- Cloudy urine
- Blood in urine
- Foul-smelling urine
- Pain or burning sensation while urinating
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Pressure in lower abdomen or lower back
Ways to Prevent Bladder Infection
1. Fluid Intake
Drinking ample amount of water is the key to getting rid and preventing bladder infections. It is important for people suffering from bladder infection to drink more water than others drink in a day. It helps in flushing out the toxins from the body easily. Also it dilutes the urine and so the burning sensation and pain is not experience while urination.
- Drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water
- Drink fruit or vegetable juices regularly
- Make smoothies and drink them daily
- To increase the fluid intake, it is recommended to drink soups or broths
2. Hygienic Habits
Maintaining proper hygiene is essential to prevent bladder infection. It is important to stay away from any source of contamination.
- Keep the genital area dry by wiping with tissue paper
- Do not use douches, soaps or deodorants near the genital areas as these harsh agents can destroy the good bacteria in our system
- Change sanitary pads regularly and do not keep it for long time
- Avoid wearing tampons and opt for sanitary pads instead
- Shower instead of a bath. Do not use bath bubbles more often
- After a shower pat dry the vaginal areas with soft cotton towel
- Avoid using dirty public toilets
3. Empty the Bladder
Keeping the bladder full or delaying the urge to urinate leads to urinary infection. Holding the urine leads to bacterial growth and thus the bladder infections and kidney problems.
- Use the washroom when there is an urge to urinate
- Try to empty the bladder completely while urinating
- Urinate after sex to flush away the bacteria in the urinary tract
4. Immunity Boosters
The main function of our immune system is to prevent and fight against infection causing bacteria. So it is important to strengthen the immunity by eating healthy food.
- Start the day with a glass of lemon water
- Drink 2-3 cups of green tea everyday
- Drink a glass of warm turmeric milk before bed
- Eat vitamin-C rich food like broccoli, kiwi, bell peppers, strawberries, sprouts and tomatoes
- Drink unsweetened cranberry juice to prevent infections as it contains anti-oxidants that fights free radicals
- Eat vitamin-D rich food like salmon, mackerel, organ meat, cheese and egg yolks
- Also include vitamin-D fortified foods
- Include ginger and garlic in cooking
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Drinking raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar every day helps in preventing urinary infections. It contains antibacterial properties that treats infections and also balances pH levels in body.
- Add 1 or 2 spoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a glass of water
- Add a little honey for taste
- Drink it 20 minutes before meals to prevent urinary tract infection
Eat probiotic food like yogurt to infest good bacteria in the system. It also helps in fighting against harmful infection causing bacteria thereby keeping the bladder healthy. It maintains a healthy pH level and strengthens immune system.
- Eat 2 to 3 cups of probiotic yogurt with live cultures daily
- Drink smoothies made of yogurt
- Also you can eat probiotic food such as kefir, miso, sauerkraut, kimchi, tempeh and sour pickles.
7. Avoid Triggers
There are many food and drinks that can irritate the bladder and causes infections. Such irritants must be avoided completely from the daily diet.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks like tea and coffee
- Switch to herbal teas
- Chocolates and soda drinks also contains caffeine and so it must be avoided
- Avoid beer, wine and other strong alcoholic beverages as they cause dehydration
- Totally avoid spicy food
- Avoid sugary food and artificial sweetners
8. Quit Smoking
Usage of tobacco increases the susceptibility to bacterial infections. It also increases the risk of bladder cancer. The chemicals present in the cigarette smoke consist of anti-bacterial function of leucocytes. In order to prevent the risk of bladder infections, it is important to quit smoking as well as use of tobacco products.
Bladder infections can be avoided by following the above methods. It requires little lifestyle changes and dietary changes to prevent the bladder infections.
- Home Remedies for Dark Spots on the Face
- Home Remedies for Bleparitis or Eyelid Inflammation