Over exposure to the Sun causes damages to the skin. It increases the production of cells called as melanocytes in the skin. These cells are responsible for the skin turning darker. The dark patches on the skin are known as dark spots, age spots, brown spots, sun spots and liver spots. Dark spots commonly appear in areas like face, back, neck, chest, shoulders and hands.
Causes of Dark Spots
The following are some of the main causes of dark spots,
- Sun exposure
- Vitamin deficiencies
- Weak liver functioning
The dark spots are usually harmless but it affects the looks and personality. There are several natural ways to treat these dark spots through natural ingredients.
Home Remedies for Dark Spots
The following are the home remedies to get rid of dark spots easily and naturally. These home remedies effectively lighten the dark spots and ultimately erases them completely.
Lemon juice has bleaching effects on the skin and it helps in getting rid of the dark spots. It also helps in maintaining soft, clear and beautiful skin.
How to Use?
- Apply fresh lemon juice to the affected areas using a cotton ball
- Leave it on for few minutes before rinsing it off with cold water
- For sensitive skin, dilute lemon juice with rose water or honey and then apply to the dark spots
- Another option is to mix enough sugar to a tablespoon of lemon juice to make a scrub
- Use this scrub on the affected areas for 5-10 minutes before rinsing it off
- Repeat this remedy few times a week to reduce dark spots
Buttermilk consists of lactic acid that helps in exfoliating the skin. It removes blemishes and dark spots without drying out the skin.
How to Use?
- Apply buttermilk on dark spots using a cotton ball
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and then wash it off with enough water
- Oily-skinned people can also add some lemon juice to the buttermilk and then apply it on the affected areas
- Another remedy is to add four teaspoons of buttermilk to two teaspoons of tomato juice
- Apply this mixture on the dark spots and leave it on for few minutes
- Repeat these remedies once or twice daily until the results are noticed
Castor oil has strong healing properties that can be used to get rid of the dark spots completely. It has amazing anti-aging properties that make the skin look younger and healthier.
How to Use?
- Apply castor oil using a cotton ball on the affected areas
- Gently massage the areas for few minutes
- Leave it on for few hours and then rinse it off using lukewarm water
- You can also mix castor oil with any of the carrier oils such as olive oil or coconut oil and then apply to the dark spots
- Repeat this process once in the morning and once at night to fade away the dark spots and even out the skin tone
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar not only has health benefits when consumed internally but its usage for various skin diseases has also been found effective. It has been known for removing all dark spots, age spots and pigmentation from the skin and makes it problem-free. It also helps in drying out or fading the pigmentation faster.
How to Use?
- Dilute some apple cider vinegar with equal amount of water
- Add some honey if required
- Apply this solution on the dark spots and rinse it off after few minutes
- Alternatively, you can also mix one-half teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to few teaspoons of orange juice
- Apply this on the affected areas and leave it for some time before rinsing it
- Repeat this process once daily for few weeks to notice any improvement in the skin tone and fading of dark spots
Applying apple cider vinegar directly on the skin is not recommended as it might sting. Hence it should be always used in diluted form.
Aloe vera is rich in vitamin E and has strong anti-septic and anti-bacterial properties. It has amazing healing properties and also helps in skin regeneration. Dark spots caused due to Sun exposure can be cured using aloe vera.
How to Use?
- Gently rub fresh aloe vera gel on the spots
- Leave it on for 30 minutes before rinsing it with cold water
- Repeat this process twice daily for about a month to notice results
- If fresh aloe vera is not available, you may use aloe vera juice available in the market
- You can also use aloe vera gel based creams for soothing effects on the skin and to reduce dark spots
Sandalwood has great anti-aging properties and hence it is used in most of the anti-aging beauty products. It helps in reducing pigmentation and dark spots easily. It also has anti-septic property that keeps the skin from all infections and diseases. It is well-suited for oily and acne prone skin and gives a clear and glowing complexion.
How to Use?
Make a pack using two teaspoons of sandalwood powder, two teaspoons of rosewater and one teaspoon of glycerin and lemon juice
- Apply this pack on the dark spots and allow it to dry for few minutes
- Wash it off with water and repeat it few times a week until the dark spots fade away
- Another remedy is to add one tablespoon of orange juice, one tablespoon of lemon juice and the contents of two vitamin E capsules to sandalwood powder to make a paste
- Apply it on the face and leave it for about half an hour before rinsing
- Massage the affected areas with few drops of sandalwood oil mixed in tablespoon of olive oil or almond oil
- Apply it daily before going to bed and leave it overnight
The above given home remedies are very effective in treating dark spots. If the dark spots persist even after using these remedies, it is advised to consult a doctor and get it diagnosed to know about the underlying problems.
- Natural Ways to Reduce Breast Size
- Home Remedies to Treat Bunions