Fever blisters are also known as cold sores. These are caused by Herpes Simplex Virus type-1 (HSV-1). It occurs in the form of sores or outbreaks near the mouth. It automatically heals within two to three weeks but some natural remedies can help in speeding up the recovery process. The HSV on entering the body becomes dormant for several days or months or even years. But several triggers can aggravate the conditions causing outbreak in various parts of the body.
Factors that Triggers Fever Blisters
The following are the various causes of fever blisters,
- Overexposure to Sunlight
- Hormonal Changes
- Trauma to the Skin
- Weakened Immune System
Symptoms of Fever Blisters
The following are the symptoms of fever blisters.
- Painful blisters
- Tingling sensation
It appears in the form of clusters or white blisters that are concentrated in a particular area. These blisters can be painful and makes the whole appearance unattractive.
Home Remedies for Fever Blisters
The following are the home remedies for fever blisters that are very effective when followed consistently. However, it must be diagnosed by the doctor properly and treatment must be started. The home remedies can only ease the pain and swelling. But the over-the-counter medicines can stop the recurrence completely. It also helps in speedy recovery without any side effects.
1. Whole Milk
Whole milk contains immunoglobulins and calcium that fights the HSV-1 virus. It consists of a fat called monocaprin which has anti-viral properties. It also helps in accelerating the healing process of the fever blisters.
How to Use?
- Soak a cotton ball in cold whole milk and apply the milk on the affected area
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes
- The cold milk will reduce the pain as well as soothe the tingling sensation
- Do this several times a day for three to four days
- Also, you may drink a glass of warm whole milk with one teaspoon of turmeric in it two times a day for a week
2. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has strong anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. It prevents the infection caused due to HSV-1. It also restores the original skin texture after curing the fever blisters.
How to Use?
- Dilute tea tree oil by combining one part oil and three parts water
- Using a cotton ball, apply the diluted tea tree oil on the affected area three times a day
- Within a few days, the fever blister should heal completely
- Alternatively, mix equal amounts of tea tree oil and olive oil
- Add a little bit of eucalyptus oil to the mixture
- Apply this solution on the blister three times daily for four to five days
3. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide has multiple benefits to the skin. It helps in killing the infection casing microbes in the site of infection. It acts as a natural disinfectant and eradicated the herpes virus from the fever blisters. It also keeps the area dry as the virus can only thrive in warm and moist environments.
How to Use?
- Dip a cotton ball in 3% hydrogen peroxide solution and dab it over the blisters
- Leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse the area with a wet washcloth and pat dry
- Repeat this remedy three or four times a day for two to three days
- Alternatively, make a paste of two crushed aspirins and one teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide
- Apply the paste on the affected area using a cotton ball
- Leave it on for just two to three minutes
- Clean the area with lukewarm water
- Do this once daily for not more than two days
Garlic is a powerful antiseptic and antibacterial natural ingredient that helps in treating several infections and inflammations. It helps in quick recovery from the infection causing virus. It has effective enzymes that carry anti-viral properties which help in treating fever blisters. It disinfects the area and decreases the healing time.
How to Use?
- Gently crush two to three garlic cloves to make a paste
- Apply it to the area of fever blisters
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes
- Repeat the process three times a day for two days
Ice or cold compress has been found very effective in relieving the pain and swelling associated with fever blisters. It reduces the redness in the affected areas and prevents the infection from spreading. It is found to work the best during initial stages of infection or outbreak when the tingling sensation is experienced. IT should be used continuously so that the blisters are suppressed in the initial stage itself.
How to Use?
- Wrap a few ice cubes in a washcloth
- Place it over the affected area for 10 to 15 minutes
- Repeat this every three to four hours
- After each session, apply a thick layer of lemon balm ointment to the area
Licorice roots have an active ingredient called glycyrrhizin which has anti-inflammatory properties. This helps in treating the fever blisters and minimizes the redness and swelling in the affected area. It also helps in speeding up the recovery process. However, it is not advisable for people with high blood pressure to use this remedy.
How to Use?
- Make a thick paste of one tablespoon of licorice root powder and one-half teaspoon of water
- Dab the paste on the affected area using a cotton swab
- Leave it on for a few hours
- Reapply it three to four times a day for several days until the blisters heal completely
- You can also drink licorice root tea or take supplements to speed up the healing process
All the above remedies are safe when used after consulting the doctor. It should be used for few weeks to few months to cure the fever blisters completely. However, this must be taken only after learning the possible interactions with other drugs.
- Home Remedies for Female Infertility
- Home Remedies for Fibromyalgia