Blackheads are those ugly looking black or yellow bumps mostly appearing on the nose and chin. They are formed due to the clogged pores formed by the excessive sebum production, dust and dead skin-cells. It may occur at any age and is commonly seen in both men and women. But it often occurs during teenage and adolescent years. The bumps appear dark due to oxidation of the clogged pores to the air and not because of dirt.
Factors Causing Blackheads
- Hormonal changes
- Excess use of cosmetics
- Improper skincare
- Genetic factor
Home Remedies for Blackheads
Blackheads usually occur on face, but it may even occur in other parts of the body such as back, shoulders, arms, chest and neck. If it is left untreated, it causes severe acne breakouts. The following are the most effective home remedies to treat blackheads and remove them completely.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is one of the sure shot home remedies for blackheads. It has antiseptic properties that keeps the skin clear and unclog the pores. It sucks out the impurities in the skin such as debris and dirt.
- Mix two spoons of baking soda with water to make a paste
- Apple a generous amount of this paste on the area of blackheads
- Allow it to dry for 10-15 minutes
- Rinse it off with warm water
- Repeat this process once or twice a week
Cinnamon has strong anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It is very effective in removing the grime and dirt stuck in the pores that causes blackheads. It also prevents acne or cure the existing ones at the faster pace.
- Mix one spoon of cinnamon powder, lemon juice and a pinch of turmeric to make a paste
- Evenly apply it on the area of blackheads and leave it for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse it off with plenty of water
- Alternatively, this can also be used in combination with honey to make a thick paste
- Apply this paste all over the face or only on the affected areas for 15-20 minutes before rinsing it
- Repeat this 2-3 times a week for blackheads-free skin
Oatmeal is very good for the skin because it has excellent exfoliating properties. It removes dirt from the pores resulting in a smooth and problem-free skin. It is mostly used in combination with yogurt for best results.
- Make a paste of colloidal oatmeal, one spoon of honey and juice of four tomatoes.
- Scrub it on the skin in circular motion and on the blackheads area
- Wash it with warm water after 15 minutes
- Alternatively, you can mix two spoons of oatmeal to three spoons of yogurt and few drops of lemon juice to make a paste
- Apply this paste evenly on the face and leave it for few minutes until dry
- Rinse it off with warm water and pat dry
4. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is effective in removing dirt and controlling sebum. It is very useful in warding off acne and blackheads from the roots. The nutrients and vitamins present in the lemon juice are very good for the all skin types.
- Cut a lemon into half and put some honey on one half
- Add little sugar to it for exfoliation
- Rub the lemon coated with honey and sugar gently in the blackheads prone areas
- Rinse it after 10 minutes
- Alternatively, you can also make your own facial cleanser using lemon juice and milk or rosewater and use it few times a week
5. Green Tea
Green tea is loaded with anti-oxidants that remove all free-radicals in the body. It has tannins which are very good for achieving a clear skin. It clears the pores from dirt and deeply cleanses the skin. It also renews the dull skin and rejuvenates it with a subtle glow.
- Mix one spoon of dried green tea leaves with water to make a paste
- Gently scrub the paste all over the face and especially on the affected areas for two to three minutes
- Rinse it off after 15 minutes with lukewarm water
Honey when used alone itself is very effective in clearing the blackheads. The other ingredients added to honey makes it only better. It has balancing properties that treats oily skin as well as blackheads. It has hydrating properties that gives a glowing and clear complexion.
- Apply some honey on the face and leave it on for 10-15 minutes
- Rinse the face with lukewarm water
Cornmeal is abrasive in nature and is effective for exfoliation. It clears the dirt and oil from the pores. It also guards the skin from further damage.
- Prep your skin buy steaming it so that the pores are open to receive the treatment
- Mix one spoon of powdered cornmeal with milk or water to make a paste
- Apply the mixture all over the face and massage in circular motion concentrating more on the affected areas
- After few minutes rinse the face with cold water to close the pores
The above home remedies have solved the problem of blackhead for many. In case the problem still persists, it is better to consult a dermatologist to diagnose the underlying problem.
- Natural Ways to Birth Control Using Herbs
- Home Remedies for Bipolar Disorder