The medical term for anal itching is Puritus ani and it is known to affect both men and women. However studies have shown that men are more prone to anal itching. It can be embarrassing as well as discomforting to have this problem. It is commonly observed in persons within the age of 30 to 50 years. Anal itching can also be caused due to skin or internal medical issues.
Causes of Anal Itching
The skin-related causes of anal itching are as follows,
- Atopic dermatitis
- Excess friction in the anal area
- Excess sweating and moisture around the anus
- Exposure to chemical based perfumes and dyes
- Improper sexual hygiene and personal hygiene
The medical causes of anal itching are as follows,
- Food allergies
- Anal fissures
- Anal tumors
- Fecal incontinence
- Intestinal parasites
- Sexual transmission
- Fungal or yeast infection
Symptoms of Anal Itching
- Itching in the anal area
- Strong urge to scratch
- Rash in and around the anus
It is important to seek medical advice as soon as the symptoms are seen. However certain lifestyle changes and home remedies can also work effectively in curing anal itching.
The following are the home remedies for anal itching. These ingredients can be used safely without fearing the side effects.
Garlic helps in soothing the itching in the anal region. It has anti-bacterial properties that kill the infection-causing bacteria and fungus. Also it helps in flushing out the intestinal worms, which is one of the main causes for anal itching.
- Eat 2-3 cloves of raw garlic on empty stomach every morning
- Boil 2 crushed garlic cloves in half cup of milk and drink it on empty stomach every morning
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the best remedies for anal itching. It is rich in Vitamin E and has antifungal and antimicrobial properties. It is used to cure most of the skin diseases and infections. It can also be used for cooking or consumed directly. It has various benefits for the body and helps in expelling the parasites.
- Eat 2-3 teaspoons of extra-virgin coconut oil daily
- Dab a cotton ball in warm coconut oil and apply in the affected areas several times a day
- Use coconut oil for cooking regularly
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar is anti-bacterial and alkaline in nature. It cures all fungal and bacterial infections which causes anal itching. It is used to control the infection from spreading further.
- Mix two tablespoons of raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of water
- Drink this mixture twice daily for few weeks
- Another option is to add a cup of apple cider vinegar to a hot bath and soak the infected area in this for 15 to 20 minutes
- Follow these remedies several times a day to get instant relief from anal itching.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera in its purest form is very beneficial for the body. It has calming and soothing properties when used on the affected areas in the case of anal itching. It reduces the soreness and inflammation and calms down the bumps caused due to the infection in and around the anus. It is also helpful in reducing the irritation in hemorrhoids.
- Slit open a fresh aloe vera leaf and extract the gel from it
- Apply the gel in the anal area and leave it for about 30 minutes
- Reapply as and when required
- Alternatively, you can also drink aloe vera juice everyday to expel the worms in the stomach
Oatmeal is used to treat anal itching as it contains anti-irritants, anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. It helps in healing irritated, inflamed and itchy skin.
- Mix 1 or 2 cups of colloidal oatmeal or unprocessed oat flour in a bathtub filled with lukewarm water
- Soak the infected area in this for about 10-20 minutes
- Also you can take oatmeal 1 or 2 times a day
Yogurt is loaded with beneficial bacteria that kill harmful bacteria. It also has healing effects on sores and inflammation. It also eliminates worms and infections in the gut, which are main cause for anal itching. Consuming yogurt everyday is very good for the health as it strengthens the immune system by fighting against bad bacteria.
- Eat one or two cups of plain yogurt every day
- Dab a cotton ball in yogurt and apply it on the anal area to relieve itching
Echinacea is an ancient Chinese herb used to cure various diseases. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties that prevent the bacteria from spreading further. It can be consumed in the form of tea as well as in the form of supplements.
- Take a spoonful of dried Echinacea leaves and steep it in hot water for 10-15 minutes
- Strain the tea and add a spoon of honey to it
- Drink this twice a day continuously for few weeks to get rid of anal itching.
Follow these home remedies along with medical prescription to get faster relief from anal itching symptoms.
- Home Remedies for an Abscessed Tooth
- Top 10 Remedies to Cure Bad Breath Problems