Its the extreme inflammation of the testicles which can be caused by either bacteria or virus. It onset is always sudden. Generally, the symptoms appear in one testicle but can happen to both simultaneously. It can also be caused by sexually transmitted disease like gonorrhea or chlamydia. Most cases of Orchitis are caused by mumps virus.
Sometimes due to epididymitis, which is the inflammation of the tube (epididymis) that is located at the back of the testicles which carry the sperm from the testicles to the vas deferens, bacterial orchitis can happen.
Orchitis is an extremely painful condition and can also affect the fertility of men. It also makes the testicles more prone to infection from other factors. Medications do exist which can help subside the symptoms of Orchitis but full recovery can take some time as the testicles take time to heal. Chronic Orchitis is not well defined and instead is considered to be one of the many reasons for chronic testicular pain known as Orchalgia.
The symptoms of this disease usually develop suddenly with no incubation period. Some of the well known symptoms are as follows:
1) Swelling in either or both testicles.
2) Excruciating pain in the testicles.
4) Pain/’Burning sensation while trying to urinate (dysuria).
5) Discharge from penis.
6) Blood in semen.
7) Pain in the groin
8) Tenderness in the testicles which are painful to touch.
9) Pain while having intercourse.
In case of epididymo-orchitis, the symptoms will gradually appear instead of sudden ones.
In this case of epididymitis, the pain is rather localized in a small area on the back of the testicles. Gradually, the infection spreads to the the entirety of the testicles. Pain or burning sensation during or after urination is observed and penile discharge becomes common.
The main cause of this is usually a bacterial infection. In children who haven’t reached puberty, the infection begins from the liver and kidneys and then spreads to the testicles. This can be due to a birth related anomaly which makes the body more prone to orchitis. In men who are sexually active, the most common cause of orchitis would be sexually transmitted diseases like chlamydia or gonorrhea. They generally start in the urethra and then develop and move on to the testicles.
Other causes can include badder obstruction due to enlargement of prostate; partial blockage of the urethra and bacterial prostatitis. In all these cases there are no original symptoms. The symptoms will only appear once its developed into full-fledged epididymitis.
Epididymitis is also caused by factors other than infections. For example, in case of chemical epididymitis, the urin flows backwards from the urethra to the epididytis. This urine then causes inflammation without infection.
Chronic version of epdidymitis can develop after prolonged episode of acute epididymitis but can aslso happen without episodes of acute epididymitis as well. In that case, the exact cause is unknown as to why it happens.
Acute epididymo-orchitis is usually a primary bacterial or rarely a tuberculous infection of the epididymis that has spread to the testicle to involve both structures. Rarely, it can start in the testicle and spread to the epididymis. Mumps orchitis does not spread to the epididymis.
Diagnosis is usually done after cehcking up the medical history of the patient and a physical exam by the doctor. Various imaging techniques and laboratory tests may be done as well for examinging the cause of this.
1) The physician may carry out an ultrasound test for the affected testicle. This is to rule out the other conditions like testicular torsion, abcess or epididymitis which may have similar symptoms.
2) With a rectal exam, a health care practitioner can check the prostate gland for infection. This test is necessary because antibiotic treatment will be used for a longer period of time if the infection involves the prostate gland.
3) A sample of discharge taken from the urethra, the tube that forms the opening at the end of the penis, may be obtained to identify which bacteria are responsible for the infection if a sexually transmitted disease is suspected.
4) Nuclear scan of the testicles. A radioactive tracer is inserted into your bloodstream. The scanner then maps blood flow to your testicles, which can indicate torsion or orchitis.
Treatment of bacterial orchitis include anti-biotic medications. Most cases can be cured using an oral anti-biotic such as cefalexin or ciprofloxacin until infection clears up. Tuberculosis epididymitis is treated using anti-tuberculosis medications although in severe cases when the damage is high, the testicles may need to be totally removed.
NSAIDs (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) can be used like “ibuprofen” can be used as effective medication against inflammation and pain in the testicles.
Home Remedies For Orchitis
1) Elevating the scrotum using some atheletic briefs can give some comfort from the pain.
2) Applying ice packs to the scrotum area can also help with comfort. It should not be applied directly thought since ice can cause burns from freezing. Hence it should be wrapped in a piece of cloth and then applied on the affected skin.
3) Ample rest is advised and no form of heavy lifting should be undertaken. As the inflammation decreases, the resting periods can be gradually decreased.
4) Safe sex is highly advised if at all possible or if the patient can’t refrain from it since the risk of spreading the disease is maximum though sexual intercourse.
5) Herbs like Echinacea and Cocain leaf are known to be good anti-bacterial agents. They can be consumed as a decoction or tea to reduce inflammation and pain.
6) Keep a balaced diet. It absolutely imperative that the diet being consumed is high in green leafy vegetable and vitamins.
7) Dandelions are extremely effective against it. Consuming them in the form of tea or using their leaves in salads will help relive the pain.
8) Absolutely refrain from doing any sort of heavy lifting. It worsens the conditions and can prolong the pain and inflammation more.
So here we have listed a few Orchitis Home Remedies. Use these to treat your condition safely and effectively.