Migraine is recurrent throbbing headache that occurs on one side of the head usually accompanied by nausea and extreme sensitivity to light and sound. According to Manhattan Headache Centre in New York, “Migraine is a neurobiological disorder involving both neurological and vascular changes in the brain during an attack”. “People with a genetic predisposition have a reduced threshold for the activation of the brain’s ‘pain centers’ and become hypersensitive to stimuli that cause pain. These set off a wave of nerve cell activity and neurotransmitter release that activates blood vessel inflammation, feeding pain structures deep in the brain.”
“Aura” is the stage in migraine, during which that person experiences visual disturbances such as flashes, splotches, zigzags or shimmering colored lights surrounding a blind spot. Migraine Research Foundation (MRF) reports that more than 90% of migraine sufferers are unable to work or function normally during an attack. It should be diagnosed at an early stage and treatments must be taken regularly. However many people adopt natural and holistic approach to cure their illness. These home remedies are as effective as the traditional medicines and treatments. The positive aspect of adopting natural ways to cure migraine is that it comes without any side effects. However certain ingredients should be tested for allergies and chemical reactions when taken during the course of treatment.
The following are the home migraine remedies for migraine that will help in easing the pain
This is one of the commonly used home migraine remedies for migraine pains. Ice is anti-inflammatory so using it during severe headaches and tensions alleviates the pain.
- Wrap 10-15 ice cubes in a clean towel
- Place it on the temples, forehead and back of neck
- Keep it for at least 10 to 15 minutes and repeat as and when required
- Alternatively cold compress can be used in those areas for 15 minutes
- For added effects, lavender or peppermint oil can be added to the compress
Cayenne pepper is an excellent migraine remedy. It consists of capsacin, which is a natural pain killer. It stimulates the blood circulation in the head and relieves the tension in the nerves.
- Mix half spoon of cayenne pepper in hot water
- Add a spoon of honey and lemon juice to it
- Drink this mixture as and when required
Chamomile has anti-spasmodic and soothing properties which prevents migraine attacks also calms the existing pain. For best results in migraine, use “German Chamomile” (Matricaria recutita)
- Steep two spoons of dried chamomile flowers in a cup of hot water for 3-5 minutes
- Strain and drink this tea to get relief from the pain
- Drink this 2-3 times a day for better results
Feverfew was also known as featherfew and was used during fifth century B.C. in ancient Greece. It was used to cure fever, swelling and relieve aches and pains such as headache. It is found all over the world now and is widely used in treating migraine, dizziness, inflammation and breathing problems. It is available in the form of supplements and extracts and is also consumed raw in certain parts of the world. It has antispasmodic properties which help in reliving the pounding during migraine pain. It contains a compound called parthenolide that neutralizes prostaglandins which influences the pain signals.
- Prepare a tea by steeping one spoon of peppermint leaves and one spoon of feverfew leaves for 30 minutes
- Strain and drink it several time a day until the pain persist
- Chew two or three feverfew leaves daily
- Dried feverfew leaf capsules can also be taken after consulting the doctor
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar offers an array of benefits such as detoxification, controlling blood sugar level, regulating high blood pressure, reducing bone pain, promoting weight loss and relieving constipation. It is considered to be very effective in the treatment of migraine since it is a nutritional powerhouse.
- Add one spoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water
- Add a spoon of honey to it
- Drink this 2-3 times a day when the migraine pain begins
- You may also increase the quantity of apple cider vinegar to 2-3 spoons depending on the intensity of the pain
Please note that only raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar with the “mother” must be used for this purpose
Ginger is effective in treatment of migraines was proven in a study conducted by Phytotherapy Research. It controls the production of prostaglandins which causes muscles contraction, inflammation in brain’s blood vessels and impacts hormones. It is also the Most Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drug (NSAID), as it controls the production of these harmful chemicals in the body. It is considered to be one of the best migraine remedies.
- Boil ginger roots in water for 10 minutes and reduce it into half
- Strain the mixture and allow it to cool down a bit
- Add a spoon of honey and drink it several times a day when the pain begins
- Chew a piece of raw ginger root to avoid nausea and digestive problem
Massage is an excellent way to relax the head muscles. It stimulates the serotonin receptors in the brain thereby easing the muscles and reducing the pain. Annals Behavior of Medicines proved that massage helps in treatment of migraines.
- With the first two fingers massage in circular motion, the pressure points – base of the skull, centre of the forehead and temples.
- Heat two spoons of sesame oil and mix cinnamon and cardamom powder to it
- Apply this mixture on the forehead and leave it for few hours before washing it off
- Repeat this process as and when needed. Massaging with exact pressure at the correct spots will help in reduce the recurrence of migraine attacks.
Caffeinated beverages such as coffee, green tea, etc are helpful in reducing the migraine pain. Caffeine contains certain receptors that restrict the blood vessels and blocks certain receptors causing migraine. A little amount of coffee is one of the best migraine remedies for you.
- Prepare a strong coffee and drink it 2-3 times a day during the migraine pain
- Fresh lemon juice can be added to the coffee to combat the effects of acidic diets that leads to cyclic headaches
The sudden intake or withdrawal of caffeinated drinks can also be a reason for headaches or migraine and so it must be always taken in moderation.
Use of these natural migraine remedies will help you cure your condition immediately. If you do not prefer costly medications and are skeptical about their side effects, use these migraine remedies to cure your migraine naturally immediately.