Lice are small parasites that live in our scalp and hair shafts. One can get lice by coming into contact with another infected person. Mostly children get lice from other children who are infected by this parasite while playing, sleepovers or sharing personal items like combs and brushes. Almost six to twelve million kids in the U.S. get head lice every year. It is quite embarrassing as well as annoying to get head lice due to the constant itching on the scalp. Combing helps in taking them out but it is a long and tiring process.
There are various ways to get rid of lice from the scalp. Usually natural treatments “suffocate” or “smother” the lice. This make them easier to be caught on the comb. Combing does most of work but with these home remedies for lice treatment, the process becomes less time consuming and gets rid of the nits too.
Home Remedies For Lice Treatment
The following are the various natural home remedies for lice treatment using simple ingredients that work as effectively as the OTC medicines to get rid of lice.
Comb and Oil Treatment
Comb and oil treatment is very effective in smothering the lice out of the head. Many people use Vaseline and mayonnaise instead of oil for the same purpose. But it could be messy and difficult to wash. No one would want to follow such messy and complex treatment when oil and comb does the job perfectly. The following are the steps given for the home remedy for lice treatment,
- Coat the hair with olive oil or coconut oil
- It is also suggested to coat the comb with oil every time before combing
- Separate the hair into smaller sections using a clip
- Comb from the scalp till the end of the hair shafts
- Wash the comb often in a stream of hot water repeatedly after combing few sections of hair.
- After combing all sections, shampoo, rinse and repeat
- Soak the comb in 10% bleach solution or 2% Lysol solution for 30 minutes everyday
This process is very effective in getting rid of the lice from every part of the scalp. The oil doesn’t let the lice stick to the shaft and can be pulled out easily.
Essential Oil Treatment
Various essential oils have anti-bacterial properties that help in getting rid of these little parasites from our head completely. Essential oils given below are proven to be effective for getting rid of lice and overall scalp health.
- Tea Tree Oil
- Basil Oil
- Rosemary Oil
- Neem Oil
- Clove Oil
- Peppermint Oil
- Nutmeg Oil
- Aniseed Oil
- Cinnamon Oil
- Lavender Oil
However, it should be tested for allergic reactions before proceeding with the treatment. The following are the steps involved in this treatment,
- Mix 10-15 drops of any essential oil of your choice in 100ml of olive oil.
- Using a cotton ball, dab it all over the scalp
- Leave this to soak overnight or at least 12 hours
- In the morning, use a closely placed tooth comb on the oiled hair
- Alternatively, you can prepare the mixture using 10-15 drops of essential oil in 200 ml of rubbing alcohol and store it in a spray bottle.
- Saturate the hair with this mixture and leave it overnight
- Comb through the sections of hair starting from the scalp
- Shampoo, rinse and repeat
Using vinegar is another safe and inexpensive treatment for getting rid of lice. Easily available white vinegar is the best option for suffocating the lice in the head and taking them out dead. It is also the simplest and most effective home remedy for lice treatment.
- Dilute white vinegar by adding one part of vinegar to three parts of water
- Saturate the hair and scalp with the solution
- Wrap a towel around the hair for two hours
- Dip the comb in the white vinegar solution and comb through the sections of hair
- Focus on one section at a time
- You can also rinse your hair with white vinegar solution after shampooing the hair.
Garlic and Lemon Juice Treatment
Garlic has a strong smell and so it can be used to suffocate lice. Lemon helps in killing the lice due to its acidic nature. Both these ingredients can be used separately or combined as one to treat lice. It is a simple and effective home remedy for lice treatment.
- Crush 8-10 garlic cloves and make a fine paste
- Add juice of one full lemon in the paste
- Apply this paste on the scalp well
- Cover it with a shower cap and let the paste sit for an hour
- Wash it with mild shampoo
- This remedy can be done once a week because the garlic odor is very strong and it is difficult to use it daily.
Important Tips to get rid of Lice
- Use only nit combs
- Use separate combs for all family members
- Wash the combs and brushes everyday in hot water
- Do not share pillows with persons affected by lice
- Change pillow covers and sheets of children everyday
- Avoid using stuffed toys for few weeks until the lice are gone completely
- Clean the car seats and covers where the head touches constantly
Getting affected by this parasite is very common and so it should not be considered as a deadly disease. The only problem with this parasite is that it reproduces at a faster rate. But combing regularly can prevent the lice from reproducing further. Because the key to getting rid of lice is to comb and to keep the scalp clean by avoiding contact with any infected person or objects. The given methods will also prove beneficial for the lice treatment. Use these home remedies for lice treatment to remove rice completely from your head.