Laryngitis is a condition when the vocal cords are inflamed due to infection or strain on vocal cords. People with laryngitis usually experience symptoms similar to sore throat during cold or cough. But this is severe than common cold symptoms because it may lead to loss of voice or hoarseness due to the inflammation of the larynx or voice box. It is good to get it diagnosed by the doctor at an early stage itself.
Laryngitis persists up to two weeks due to the infection caused by virus. If it extends more than this period, it should be immediately diagnosed and treated because it may turn out to be more severe. They following are the symptoms of laryngitis,
- Dry cough
- Dry throat
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Sore throat
- Weak voice
- Tickling sensation in the throat
- Rawness in throat
- Trouble in swallowing
- Excessive salivation
- Breathing difficulties
Causes of Laryngitis
Laryngitis can be classified into two types – acute and chronic depending on the type of infection and the symptoms.
- Acute Laryngitis – Causes
- Viral infections
- Vocal strain
- Bacterial infections like Diphtheria
- Chronic Laryngitis – Causes
- Laryngitis that persists more than 2 weeks is called chronic laryngitis. It is caused due to the following factors
- Inhaling irritants like allergens, chemical fumes or smoke.
- Gastroesophageal reflux (GERD)
- Chronic sinusitis
- Nature of job – Singing, teaching, etc
- Alcohol abuse
- Bacterial or fungal infections
- Parasitic infections
Test and Diagnosis
The following are the methods of diagnosing Laryngitis.
This is done by the doctor by directly examining the throat condition with a mirror and torch. It is also done by an endoscopy to examine the movement of the vocal chords while talking.
This is done in rare cases where a culture of tissue is taken and examined to determine the type of infection.
Home Remedies For Laryngitis
After the diagnosis, the doctor may prescribe antibiotics or corticosteroids to heal the vocal cord inflammation. But there are several natural home remedies for laryngitis available which helps in reducing the inflammation and hoarseness.
Ginger is very good for any type of infections in the body. It is considered as the best home remedy to cure sore throat, in most parts of the world. It’s anti-biotic properties soothes the mucous membrane of the larynx. It is the best home remedy for laryngitis.
- Boil sliced ginger with a cup of water and boil it for 10 minutes. Allow this to cool and then consume it along with lemon and honey.
- Grate a medium sized ginger and extract the juice from it. Add honey to it. Take 2 spoons of this mixture several times a day for faster relief.
- Take ginger candies several times a day.
Salt and Water Gargle
Salt reduces the inflammation and by gargling salt and water mixture, it is easy to get rid of the symptoms of laryngitis. It is the easiest home remedy for laryngitis.
- Add half spoon of salt to a glass of lukewarm water
- Gargle with this mixture 4-5 times a day
- Salt can also be replaced with turmeric or Listerine
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) has a anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that helps in curing the infections easily.
- Add two spoons of raw and unfiltered ACV in a glass of water
- Add one spoon of honey to the mixture
- Drink this twice a day until the symptoms persist
Onion has several useful enzymes that heal various ailments in the body, and also one of the best effective home remedies for laryngitis. It is made into syrup and consumed in the case of laryngitis.
- Slow cook 4-5 onions in water until it turns into thick syrup
- Add two spoons of this syrup in a glass of water and drink the mixture.
- You may also add honey for added effects on the sore throat
Garlic is one of the super foods that is rich in digestive and immunity boosting enzymes, and a great home remedy for laryngitis.
- Chew raw garlic on empty stomach every morning
- Prepare garlic syrup using ACV and finely chopped garlic cloves by putting them together in a bottle and leaving it for at least 4 hours. It can be mixed with honey while consumption.
- Take this garlic syrup 4-5 times a day and repeat until symptoms persist
Cinnamon is a powerful spice having anti-septic and anti-inflammatory properties. It helps in reducing the inflammation in the larynx. It is also an effective home remedy for laryngitis.
- Take 2 cups of water and add a spoon of cinnamon powder to it. Boil it until half and allow the mixture to cool down a bit.
- Drink this thrice a day to get rid of hoarseness and sore throat.
Having herbal teas like green tea, peppermint tea, chamomile tea, etc helps in soothing the throat and shows great results in laryngitis.
- Steep any tea leaves of your choice in hot water for 5-10 minutes
- Drink these herbal teas several times a day for quicker healing.
Licorice roots are widely used in India for cough and sore throat. It has soothing effect on the inflammation and pain in the larynx. It is available in the form of roots as well as made into syrup or chewable tablets.
- Suck a licorice root to relieve symptoms of laryngitis
- Drink licorice tea 2-3 times a day for faster relief from the inflammation in the throat
Other Important Tips
- Do not consume anything too hot/cold
- Breathe only fresh and pure air staying away from dust and pollution
- Avoid oily and fried food
- Do nto try to whisper as it will put more pressure on the larynx
- Avoid smoking and alcohol completely
- Throat sprays can be use to reduce the inflammation
- Take proper medications prescribed by the doctor
- Do not eat ice creams and chocolates
- Keep personal hygiene because laryngitis spreads through contaminated surfaces.
- Keep drinking lot of fluids like vegetable juices, fruit juices, herbal teas and soups.
Use these simple home remedies for laryngitis to cure your laryngitis problem. These treatment methods are easy to use and found readily in your local store.