The knees suffer lot of wear and tear due to constant movement. There is no specific age for knee pain it may occur in anyone, be it children, adults or older people. In fact, women are more prone to knee pain than the men because of their anatomical structure and menstruation. It is important to detect the exact location of the pain to treat it better. It may originate from any of the bony structure comprising,
- Knee Joints – Femur, tibia and fibula
- Knee cap – Patella
- Ligaments and cartilages – Meniscus
Knee pain can be cured once the exact location of the pain and the cause is diagnosed. It can be diffused by spot treatments or diffusion. It should be treated during early stages itself when the pain is mild. It may range from minor ache to severe and disabling pain.
Symptoms of Knee Pain
- Stiffness in the knee
- Numbness in the affected area
- Difficulty in walking
- Unable to stand for long hours
- Difficulty in climbing stairs
Causes of Knee Pain
- Weakened bone structure
- Wear and tear due to aging
- Ligament injuries
- Meniscus injuries
- Knee joint dislocation
- Stiffness in joints due to arthritis
- Other chronic ailments
Home Remedies for Knee Pain
Here are a few simple home remedies for knee pain to help you alleviate the pain and give you a little piece of mind. Regular use of these home remedies for knee pain will help you cure your knee pain forever.
Cold compress is very useful in reducing body pain and inflammation. The cold constricts the blood vessels thereby restricting the blood flow to the affected area. It is the best immediate home remedy for knee pain.
- Wrap few ice cubes in a thin towel and place it over the knees for 10-20 minutes.
- Repeat the process 3-4 times a day until pain subsides.
- A bag of frozen peas can also serve the purpose.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is used in curing a number of ailments due to its alkalizing effects. It acts as a natural pain killer and also eliminates toxins from the body. In knee pain, ACV can be beneficial because it helps in dissolving the mineral build-up within the joints. It also restores the lubrication in the joints and promotes mobility.
- Add two teaspoons of ACV in two cups of water and sip this mixture throughout the day.
- Add two cups of ACV in a hot water tub and soak the knees in it for 30 minutes. This should be done once a day before going to bed preferably.
- Mix equal parts of olive oil and ACV and massage this mixture on the affected knees to alleviate the pain faster.
Ginger consists of anti-inflammatory compounds that reduce the swelling and pain in the knees. It is great for people suffering from arthritis, muscle strain or injury. Use this in your daily diet as a natural home remedy for knee pain.
- Boil some freshly grated ginger in a cup of water for 10 minutes and then strain it.
- Add a spoon of honey and lemon juice to this mixture and drink it 2-3 times a day to get rid of the swollen knee joints.
- Ginger oil massage is also effective in curing knee pain
Turmeric has a natural compound named as curcumin which is has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also widely used in Indian kitchens to reap the benefits of this miraculous spice. According to National Centre for Complimentary and Alternative Medicines (NCCAM), turmeric slows down the progression of rheumatic arthritis which is one of the major causes of knee pain. It is the best and most effective natural home remedy for knee pain.
- Add one-half spoon of freshly grated ginger and turmeric in a cup of water and boil it for 10 minutes. Drink this twice daily by adding honey.
- Boil one spoon of turmeric in a glass of milk. Add honey and drink this every day.
- Turmeric capsules can be taken every day with a dosage of 250mg to 500mg thrice a day.
Lemon or in general citric acid has also been found useful in the treatment of arthritis. It works as a solvent for uric acid crystal which deposit in the knee joints causing pain and inflammation. A natural home remedy for knee pain.
- Cut one or two lemons in small pieces and tie it in a cotton cloth
- Heat half cup of sesame oil and dip the cloth with lemons in the warm oil
- Place the cloth on the affected knee joints for 10-15 minutes
- Repeat this procedure twice a day to get relief from knee pain
- Drinking a glass of lemon juice on empty stomach also helps in getting rid of the pain in knees.
Cayenne pepper has a compound names capsaicin which is acts like a natural pail reliever. It has analgesic property that provides warmth to the area of application and thus reliving the pain.
- Add two spoons of cayenne pepper to half cup of warm olive oil and apply this on the affected area twice a day.
- Add half spoon of cayenne pepper to one cup of apple cider vinegar and apply on the aching area using a clean washcloth. Leave it for 20 minutes until the inflammation reduces.
- Capsaicin based gels can also be used directly on the knees to reduce the pain.
RICE is a popular method to relieve all sorts of injuries, muscle strains and pains. It is an acronym which stands for,
This is applicable for knee pain also. According to this method, people affected with any of the above mentioned issues must take ample rest. Ice packs or cold compressions must be used to reduce the pain. Compression bandages must be fastened to the knees securely so that inflammation subsides. Keep the legs at an elevated position in case of injuries and fractures.
Doctors might also suggest certain dietary supplements such as,
- Willow bark
- Ginger extract
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate
The following are the alternative therapies for all problems related to knees and joints,
- Tai Chi
- Exercise and Weight Management
- Heat and Cold Therapy
- Herbal Ointment
Knee pain in older people can also be cured if the above therapies and these natural home remedies for knee pain are followed on a regular basis. Use these home remedies for knee pain to cure your knee pain forever.