Jaundice is a symptom rather than a disease. The discoloration of skin to pale yellow and turning eyes to white is a sign of alcoholic liver disorders and viral hepatitis. It is caused due to the elevated Bilirubin levels in the blood stream.
Jaundice is classified into 3 types based on the nature of infection. They are,
- It occurs when the breakdown of Red Blood Cells takes place at an accelerated pace.
- It occurs due to injury or liver diseases
- It is due to the blockage in the tubes that transports bile to the liver, gall bladder and intestines. This leads to the trapping of Bilirubin inside the liver, causing jaundice.
The following are the symptoms of jaundice in human beings,
- Dark yellow urine
- Pale stools
- Sudden weight loss
- Appetite loss
- Abdominal discomfort
- Discoloration of skin to pale yellow
- Whitening of sclera in eyes
Common Causes of Jaundice
- Inflammation in the Liver
When the liver is unable to dispose excess Bilirubin from the body
- Gilbert’s Syndrome
It is a condition that affects the functions of enzymes and disrupts bile secretion. It is an inherited disorder in human beings.
- Hemolytic Anemia
Excess Bilirubin production due to accelerated breakdown of Red Blood Cells.
- Bile Duct Inflammation
Acute inflammation in the duct that transports bile, leads to the production and elimination of Bilirubin.
- Bile Duct Obstruction
Blockage in the tube carrying bile to the liver leading to trapping of Bilirubin in the body.
- Crigler-Najar Syndrome
It is a genetic disorder which affects the enzymes that process Bilirubin
Accumulation of bile in the liver as the passage is affected.
- Dublin-Johnson Syndrome
This is another hereditary disorder that hinders the removal of bilirubin from the liver.
This condition occurs as a result of increased beta-carotene levels that make the skin appear to be yellowish as in the case of jaundice. But it completely harmless and rare condition and has nothing to do with Bilirubin levels in the body.
Home Remedies for Jaundice
Once a person is diagnosed with jaundice, medical treatment must begin to combat the ill effects of the disease at an early stage itself. There are several natural natural home remedies for jaundice and lifestyle modifications that help in treatment and the recuperation process. Jaundice that occurs due to anemia is treated by improving the iron levels in the blood using supplements. But jaundice due to hepatitis is treated by anti-viral medications. Hence understanding the root cause for jaundice and then taking remedies accordingly is utmost important.
- Extract juice of few green radish leaves
- Drink 1-2 cups of juice everyday for continuously 8-10 days
- The juice helps in regulating abdominal discomfort and boosts appetite
- Lycopene found in tomatoes facilitates faster recovery and reduces the damages caused by free radicals.
- Drink a glass of fresh tomato juice along with some pepper and salt for few days.
- It is one of the best home remedies for jaundice.
- Sugarcane juice is one of the age old remedies used to cure symptoms os jaundice.
- Extract fresh juice from cleaned sugarcane only
- Squeeze juice from half lime in a glass of sugarcane juice and consume it 2-3 times a day
- A simple and really powerful home remedy for jaundice.
- Soak 7-8 almonds in water and leave it overnight.
- Peel and grind the almonds the next morning and consume it
- It can also be consumed along with dried dates and cardamoms by soaking them overnight in water.
- It is a really effective and potent home remedy for jaundice.
Pigeon Pea Leaves
- The juice from pigeon pea leaves are helpful in treating jaundice by reducing the recovery time.
- Extract the juice of fresh pigeon leaves and consume it in small quantities every day until the symptoms subsides.
- This is another popular super-food used to treat the symptoms of jaundice.
- Boil a cup of barley in 3 liters of water and simmer for a couple of hours.
- Consume this several times a day to get relief from jaundice.
- Turmeric has great medicinal value and should consumed regularly to fight from infections and curing various diseases
- It is helpful in Jaundice because of it anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties.
- It is one of the best natural home remedies for jaundice.
- Mix one spoonful of turmeric powder in a glass of warm water and drink it twice a day.
- Take some fresh papaya leaves and clean it well
- Grind the leaves into paste
- Take one spoon of papaya leaves paste and mix with one spoon of honey
- Take this regularly for one or two weeks until the blood reports are normal.
- The flowers, roots and seeds of the chicory plant is helpful in treating jaundice.
- Chicory juice helps in treating the enlargement of spleen and slow functioning of the liver.
- Drinking this regularly for couple of weeks helps in secretion of bile.
- Pound bitter luffa leaves and extracts the juice.
- Pour some juice in the palm and draw it through the nostrils.
- Yellow liquid flows through nostrils eliminating the toxic substances in the body.
- The same can be done using seeds of bitter luffa
- Chamomile tea is found effective in curing jaundice.
- Consume 1-2 cups of chamomile tea during and after recovery of jaundice to prevent recurring in future.
- Drinking buttermilk is useful to regulate the digestive juices and promote healing in case of jaundice
- Add roasted alum and black pepper to a glass of butter milk and drink this at least 3 times a day.
- Bananas are highly nutritious and used to treat jaundice effectively
- Mash a ripe banana and mix with a spoon of honey
- Eat this twice a day for faster recovery in jaundice
- It is one of the best home remedies for jaundice.
Foods to Avoid During Jaundice
- Spicy and fried food
- Carbohydrates rich food
- Coffee and tea
- Non- pasteurized milk
- Pulses and legumes
- Soy Protein
Use these simple and effective home remedies for jaundice to cure jaundice forever. These natural home remedies for jaundice are easy to use and powerful to cure jaundice forever completely.