5 out of every 6 children in the United States suffer from some kind of year infection by the time they are 3 years old. You also might have gone through severe or a mild earache during your preschool days. The preschool days are gone far away and today we are either dealing with an earache as an adult or have a tiny toddler suffering from the painful episode, right? Considering the discomfort it creates, the number of innocent children it affects and the population of adults in the United States that have to deal with an earache daily, there definitely is a need for a fresh approach to understanding earache. Of course, we all understand an earache, and no one can ever gain the insight of the pain and disease deeper by reading when he or she has already experienced it. I know we all are familiar with an earache, but what is the cause of an earache? What in reality is making your child suffer? You might have only one question in mind right now- what are the home remedies for earache? But there is a lot more you need to know.
You must know all the factors that together to the frequency of an earache in your cute baby, also you should be familiar with what causes an earache in the adults. Most of the times, we do not have to treat an earache, but the cause of an earache to treat the person. Earache in most of the cases is not a disease, but a symptom of the disease that is creating a lot more trouble inside your body. If you continue treating the earache one, whether, with the help of home remedies for an earache or any other method, the real cause may grow up into a disaster that you won’t be able to manage later on. It is hence important for diseases like an earache to fully understand the problem, the symptoms, and its underlying cause before trying hands on home remedies for earache.
Let us see the symptoms and signs which tell you that you need home remedies for earache, and only after classifying the set of symptoms in your case you will be able to select some appropriate home remedies for earache treatment.
Symptoms of an earache
Of course, you will be suffering from acute pain, but apart from pain, there will be so many things happening around your ear, and at other parts of your body. Earaches are an extremely painful condition that is very uncomfortable, especially when the victim is a child. It can occur due to the blockage of the nasal passage, other symptoms of common cold, or due to the accumulation of ear wax in several layers. Let us see all the symptoms of an earache.
- You will clearly see the redness and swelling around the outer ear, the visible part of the ear. Swelling can be negligible to clearly visible and redness also will vary according to pain.
- Fever also is one of the symptoms of an earache. Yes, a minor infection in one of the smallest body parts can raise your body temperature to very high. You may need to take antibiotic to bring your body temperature back to normal.
- With pain in ear, you may also suffer from pain in other organs, and most of the times in those which are directly connected to the ear. Jaw pain and throat pain are commonly reported with earache.
- A sore throat is also the symptom of an earache. In fact, sometimes earache may cause a sore throat, and many other times, some infection can cause a sore throat and earache.
- In complicated cases, some unusual fluid may drain out of the ear. This is a clear indication of infection in the ear and along with the fluid oozing out of the ear; you will also experience itching in the inside of the ear.
- Tinnitus, or in simple words ringing in the ears is a bit unusual symptom of an earache. All the time you will hear the ringing buzz in your ear. Peace will be nowhere. Sometimes it is also seen that the patient with an earache also suffer from vertigo, a condition in which the body is cannot stay balanced properly.
Can you see the list of all the troubles a minor earache can create? Your entire body may feel imbalanced due to the problem in a small part of the ear. Let us now have a look at what causes the cause of so many troubles, what causes an earache?
Causes or reasons behind an earache
The word “earache” looks quite normal, but when we dig deeper into the matter, ear has a lot of impact on all the other organs of your body. You can never assume that an earache is caused only by some problem in your ear. Here are all the causes of an earache, including those which are directly related to ear and also those which do not have anything to do with the ear but still are responsible for an earache.
- Your ear may be blocked up with some type of fluid inside the ear. Fluid building up deep inside the eardrum causes problems of ear pain, itching and also acute infection if the fluid is not drained on time. This is called as glue ear, and you don’t have to drain the fluid manually to get rid of glue ear, but home remedies for earache provide you with the best natural ways.
- I was surprised to know that arthritis can also cause earache, but the details about temperomandibular joint and the affect of arthritis on it convinced me that it was true. Arthritis can affect the joint near the jaw, and this can affect the ear significantly. No ear drop can help you in this case, and there are only a few home remedies for earache that can help you with this.
- If the pain in the ear is quite sharp and more like a burning sensation, it may be because of some type of infection in the ear canal or deep inside the ear. The scientific term for this cause of earache is otitis externa.
- Sometimes you have a flu or throat infection to blame for ear pain. Throat infections that occur due to cough or cold can cause earache. Apart from this, some serious problems like tonsillitis or blockage in the nose and nasal passage (sinusitis) can also cause acute earache.
- Any foreign body like cotton buds, or any other sharp entity inserted to clean the ear wax can cause acute ear pan for days. If there is no damage in the ear, and the pain is not too acute, we can wait for things to settle down on its own. A boil or infected hair follicle in the ear canal can also cause slight to acute pain in the ear.
- Blockages in the ear from plugs of earwax or objects pushed in which have become stuck can become a great deal of trouble. Apart from this, minor tooth problems like grinding teeth or dental abscess in the mouth can also be a cause of earache. Any kind of tooth pain such as wisdom teeth problems can have a direct effect on your ear.
This cause is crucial as the time for which you will have to bear the ear pain, and also the home remedies for earache that would suit you the most are depending on the cause of ear ache. Asking for leave due to earache sounds silly, but it is really annoying as if the pain is really severe, the sufferer even experiences problem in hearing. This is temporary and usually goes away with the earache, but your work is hampered.
To minimize the disturbance created by pain in ear, we have some home remedies for earache. These home remedies for earache are the best and mostly preferred because they are safe for all, the old aged, innocent children and also the adults.
Home Remedies For Earache
Give your ear hot compress with salt bag to relieve pain
Salt is something you can easily find in your kitchen, and this makes it one of the easiest and convenient home remedies for earache. Salt bag is also a source of immediate relief. No matter how much acute the pain is, salt bag can take away all the discomfort and pain. Also unlike other home remedies for earache, this one has nothing to do with the cause. Whatever is the cause, we can use this one to get rid of the pain in the ear.
How to use?
- Take approximately a cup of salt and heat it.
- For heating you can use microwave or can directly give the salt high temperature by placing it on the pan.
- Once it is hot enough take a soft cloth and put the salt on that cloth.
- After wrapping the salt in the cloth seal the open end with the help of a rubber band.
- Check to see whether its temperature is moderate enough to be applied to the ear or not. Once it is safe to apply, lie down and give your ear a hot compress with the salt wrapped in the cloth.
- Put slight pressure on the ear so that it doesn’t pain and at the same time entire ear gets in touch with the cloth. You can do this process twice or thrice daily until you get the infection out of the ear.
Grab garlic cloves to erase pain and infection of ear
Garlic has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that can help in quickly healing the ear infection and relieving severe pain, making it a very potent and effective of all the home remedies for earache. Your grandma would tell you the worth of this treatment method. And also you can realize the benefits of the same once you start using it. While the first name on the list of home remedies for earache- hot compress do its work by soothing the ear from outside, garlic can treat the infection by entering inside.
How to use?
- Take three to four garlic cloves and boil them in two tablespoons of mustard oil. Keep on boiling until the cloves turn blackish in color.
- Once this stage is achieved strain out the garlic cloves and let the oil cool down to lukewarm.
- When it is bearably hot pour a few drops into the infected ear and let it do its work.
- Consuming two to three cloves of raw garlic daily also helps speed up the healing process. Once you are done with treating the infection which is the most probable cause ofearache, pain will also follow the same path.
Make use of apple cider vinegar to treat pain due to presence of fungus
This one, like many other home remedies for earache, is targeted to the earache that is caused by some kind of infection in the ear. Fungal infection and many other types of infections may be one of the reasons behind your infected and aching ear. Apple cider vinegar is something you can make use of to deal with ear infection if the cause behind is fungus. Using apple cider vinegar as home remedies for earache is not as tricky as dropping the oil inside, but relatively easier.
How to use?
- You have to take a tablespoon of vinegar and mix it withequal volume of water or alcohol.
- Soak a cotton ball in that mixture and apply of gently on the partear you are experiencing pain.
- You can also leave the cotton into the ear forsometime or overnight to give it more time to act on the painful area and kill the fugal
Treat it with hot bottle
If the first one on the list of home remedies for earache- salt bag was not effective for you, you can try this method of hot compress. As soon as possible, apply some heat to the aching ear. This will quickly relieve some of the pain and will also prevent microorganism infestation in case it is infected. While using hot bottle, and also other home remedies for earache, you must be careful about the pressure you are exerting on the tender ear.
How to use?
- Press a warm water bottle or heating pad against the ear.
- You can also use a warm compress with the help of salt or rice.
- Dip a clean washcloth in lukewarm water, ring out the excess water and then place the washcloth on the infected ear.
- Do not apply heat to the ear continuously for a long period of time.
- Start with five minutes, remove the heat for a while and then repeat the process as needed.
Remove the unwanted wax with olive oil
Home remedies for earache never recommends you to remove the earwax manually, but leaving it inside the ear may cause blockage. Hence we have come up with an excellent way to clear the ear, and it is also one of the home remedies foe earache because it will help you get rid off the pain in ear due to blockage of the ear. The wax that accumulates in the year over time is really inviting for a fungal or bacterial growth leading to a blockage in the Eustachian tubes thereby causing severe pain. This makes kind of an obstruction and even aches in the ear. One can easily clear the obstruction with the help of olive oil, and clean it safely, making it a very effective earache remedy.
How to use?
- Warm some olive oil slightly.
- Put a few drops of the warm oil into the infected ear.
- The oil will cause the wax to soften.
- Remove the infected wax with cotton-tipped swabs.
- Be careful not to put the swab too much deep inside the ear or you might damage the eardrum.
Use onion the other way to kill the infection
We can use onions as home remedies for earaches anytime anywhere and will definitely get results. The medicinal uses of onion are not restricted to earaches only, but they cover many serious illnesses too. Onion is known as a pain reliever and also contains anti bacterial properties, making it one of the best effective home remedies for earache.
How to use?
- Chop one small onion, put it in a bowl and microwave it for one to two minutes.
- Allow it to cool and then strain out the onion juice.
- Put two to three drops of the juice in the infected ear, leave it forsometime and then turn your head to let it drain out of your ear.
Tea tree oil to soothe your ear
Tea tree oil can treat everything, and is also one of the best home remedies for earache. The mild antibacterial properties present in tea tree oil can give instant relief from earache. This natural remedy is the real trouble for all kinds of infections, be it for your ear, or skin, or internal infections. To treat an ear infection, follow the steps below.
How to use?
- Mix three drops of tea tree oil, two tablespoons of olive oil, a teaspoon of colloidal silver and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Warm the mixture slightly.
- Lay on your side with your head on a towel. Using a dropper, fill your ear with the mixture and let it sit for five minutes.
- Then turn and lay on your other side so that the mixture drains out of your ear completely. Follow this remedy two to three times a day for two days. This is one of thebest home remedies for earache.
Get holy basil is you have acute earache
Holy basil is the real healer when it comes to any problem with the skin, internal infection or even fever. Like many other home remedies for earache, we can also say that holy basil is confined to treating infections in the ear. If you are suffering from earaches due to ear infection in any part of your ear, you can use holy basil as one of the home remedies for earache to ease your pain.
How to use?
- Crush four to five fresh holy basil leaves gently to extract the juice.
- Apply the basil juice on or around the infected ear.
- Avoid getting the juice in the ear canal. You can also mix a few drops of holy basil oil with an equal amount of carrier oil like coconut oil.
- Soak a cotton ball in the mixture and gently wipe just inside the ear, around the outer edge and behind the ear.
- Repeat the process twice daily.
Now we have all kinds of home remedies for earache, but one crucial aspect is still left. We have so many tools, but how to know which tool needs to used when?
By now we have seen all the symptoms and causes of earache, and in the previous section, we also had an insight of the home remedies for earache, but how to figure out the cause. Earache is earache, and we can use home remedies fro earache to treat it, but how to differentiate the causes of earache and treat it by curing the cause. We have compiled a grouping of symptoms that would help you get closer to the cause, and would also help you choose the best home remedies for earache.
- If you are suffering from earache and there is something wrong with your teeth also, then the earache is either due to teething problem in childhood, or dental abscess in adults.
- Ear pain that arrives with some change in the hearing capabilities is always a sign of glue ear, blockage due to accumulation of ear wax, or due to some problem in the eardrum. In these cases, use home remedies for earache that focus on the clearing of the ear.
- When you can’t eat and also are suffering from earache, this is a clear indication that it is due to some problem in your throat. It may be cold, tonsillitis, flu, sore throat or quinsy.
- If fever is troubling your health and earache also has recently hit you, it is highly likely that you are suffering from ear infection, cold, flu.
You can anytime determine the reason behind earache, and choose the most suitable home remedies for earache.
Although all the home remedies for earache are the best, and all of them are equally effective, but the impact will differ according to the reason. If you use these home remedies for earache, you will ensure that the frequently occurring earache issue does not occur soon in future as they are also the preventive measures.
There is one great advantage of using home remedies for earache. As you also have seen that earache mostly affect children, and for our children we want to use nothing but the best and safest. All the home remedies for earache are also totally side effect free and hence you can use them with children of any age since they are totally safe. Unlike traditional medicines that costs us a whooping amount; these can be easily found at home and have negligible cost.