Chilblains are famous for affecting the extremities and it is known by other names like perniosis or pernio. But yes, we call it chilblains and the name itself is cold enough. As the name suggests, chilblains are the condition when sudden exposure to cold weather leads to expansion of blood vessels resulting in leakage of blood to nearby tissues. The attacks can affect any part of your body, giving a burning sensation in that part followed by pain, swelling, and redness. It extreme cases, it can also convert into blisters and ulceration. Home remedies for chilblains can help you in treating chilblains on time and also make sure that you don not have to bear the painful situation like ulcers and blisters. If you are a keen observer, you may figure out that it is chilblain by carefully looking at the changing texture of your hands. The skin affected by chilblain will be pink or red in color. The sudden change in color can be stopped if you use home remedies for chilblains at the very fist stage.
The redness of the skin is followed by tingling, itching and burning sensations. The hands, toes, and fingers will start to itch all of a sudden and there will be stinging and burning sensation in body parts as well. The more you itch, the more painful your skin will become. It is also alright if you go for home remedies for chilblains at this stage because the attack of chilblain have not done much damage, and whatever it has done can be reversed easily with the effective home remedies for chilblains. The ultimate stage of chilblains is the development of ulcers in the affected parts of the body, and it is the most painful condition associated with chilblains.
You may find it among people from all ages but mostly its victims are children and elderly people. All those who have to stay out of home for too long in winters are highly likely to have chilblains attacks. Children are also more likely to have chilblains compared to adults because a child’s body loses heat rapidly and already cold body parts will freeze really soon. Homeless people who do not have a shelter to protect them from harsh winds are also at very high risk of chilblains.
It is often mistaken for frostbite because it occurs when an individual is exposed to cold weather conditions, but the two are totally different. If you go to the doctor, he will help you in distinguishing between the two and the treatment for both is also different. Do you know the doctor might prescribe you blood pressure medicines to treat chilblains? I was surprised when I heard about it but later on I got to know that it is all a game of circulation. By improving blood circulation, you can not only treat the chilblains, but can also prevent them. Blood circulation can be improved without the use of any medicine and also you will need no home remedies for chilblains to do that. We will talk about the prevention of chilblains and also the blood circulation improvement, but first let us see the home remedies for chilblains.
Although you can manage this condition by avoiding exposure to cold in a few weeks, but everybody wants to get rid of it as soon as possible. And it is obvious because it affects not only your skin health but also your work. For enhancing the rate of recovery of chilblains one can use the following natural home remedies for chilblains.
Natural Home Remedies For Chilblains
Give a warm treat
You know the main reason behind chilblains is low temperature, simply reversing the condition may sometimes help. Warming your body in all different ways are home remedies for chilblains because in mild cases of chilblains, giving heat enough to make the skin normal, while in severe cases also it is very helpful in treating the symptoms quickly. Try to give the part affected by chilblains as much heat as possible. You can do it in various manners.
How to give the suffering body part a warm treat
- Do not literally go for burning it, but you can also wrap yourself with a warm blanket and drink a glass of hot chocolate or a cup of warm herbal tea to help your body adapt to warm temperature.
- Use a room heater to increase the temperature of surroundings and follow this by a relaxing massage with any oil available at home.
- Dip yourself in a tub of hot water. The parts affected by chilblains may not like the idea much and lukewarm water may also produce burning sensation, but with time the entire body will become normal.
- You can also use a bottle of warm water to send heat to the skin affected by chilblains only.
- Half of the pain will vanish instantly, with thesenatural home remedies for chilblains.
Another simple trick and one of the most effective home remedies for chilblains is elevating the body part. Whenever you have that sensation of cold chilblains through any of your body part, just elevate the affected area above certain level if it is possible. Generally the tips of your finger are the common victim of chilblains and it is easy keeping them above your head for sometime. Keep it at the height you are comfortable with, but do elevate it. Doing so will help improve blood circulation in that particular part and once the circulation is alright swelling, inflammation and pain will also reduce. This is the best natural home remedies for chilblains.
How to use elevation against chilblains
- If it is your hands that are suffering, you can try placing them on pillows to keep them at height.
- Place your legs on the table in front of your chair so that they can also get enough of blood.
- If you cannot keep the body part at height continuously, do it for a minute, then bring it back to normal and again elevate it. This is more comfortable for many chilblains patients.
You might have heard about the benefits of eating onion as salad. But this time we are talking about some other way of using the vegetable. Onions have anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antibiotic properties that can help reduce itching, pain, swelling and inflammation, and reduce the risk of infection. You don’t have to eat it actually to avail the benefits in chilblains but apply it in some forms. If you have accidentally developed cracks on your skin due to cold, then this natural home remedies for chilblains will make them worse, hence it is not advised to use onions in such cases.
- You can apply it in the form of thick paste made after blending onion in a blender. Make a cold poultice out of mashed onions.
- Apply it on the chilblains affected area directly.
- This procedure can be repeated 2-3 times a day for effective results in reducing the swelling.
- Alternatively, take a thick slice of onion and rub it on the area affected by chilblains assuming you are giving onion massage.
- After doing this for 2 minutes leave the onion slice there only for another 15 minutes. After removing wipe the area with a warm cloth.
- Any of these can be done 3 times a day till you find relief, and they both are effective home remedies for chilblains.
Throughout ancient history, the main use of garlic was for its health and medicinal properties. If you simply want to increase the disease fighting power of food, add taste to it without compromising with the health factor and also have nutrition while avoiding calories, just add garlic to your diet. One garlic clove can do all this for you and much more. Garlic can combat sickness, boost the function of the immune system, reduces chances of stroke and blood pressure and even save you from painful chilblains. It also improves cholesterol levels and athletic performance can also be enhanced by taking garlic supplements. Allicin found in crushed and raw form of garlic is the compound that makes garlic an excellent antibiotic. In several studies it has been proved that garlic can be a replacement to artificially synthesized antibiotics. All these benefits of garlic can be availed by adding it to your diet, but when we want to use it as home remedies for chilblains, the skin friendly and warmth generating properties of garlic come into action. Let us see various ways in which we can use the herb.
How to use garlic
- You can use garlic paste and garlic oil to massage the area affected by chilblains.
- Crush 5 garlic cloves to make a thick paste and apply this paste on the area affected by chilblains.
- Alternatively you can also use garlic oil for massage as it brings tremendous amount of heat.
- It is very easy to include it in your daily diet as it adds taste to your food, and massaging with it is also not so difficult, as it is the king of allnatural home remedies for chilblains.
If you are a frequent victim of chilblains, then with the onset of the winter months, you should make it a habit to give your body a warm soothing massage with mustard or coconut oil. Specifically try to give your hands and legs a gentle massage in circular motions twice daily as they are the probable parts to be affected by chilblains. It will not only raise the body temperature, but will also improve blood circulation which is extremely necessary for avoiding chilblains. You can use palm oil or castor oil to massage your hands and legs, as palm oil is another natural home remedy for chilblains. Another option is to add a few drops of an essential oil like lavender, rosemary or lemon oil to any good quality vegetable oil and use it to massage.
How to do massage with coconut oil and mustard oil
- Both the oils are excellent home remedies for chilblains and are also the best essential oils for skin. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, so you have to put the tub in warm water to take it out, or you can also keep it in direct sunlight for sometime (if at all you can see sun).
- Once it’s melted, rub it on your skin affected by chilblains, as you would do with any other oil or cream.
- One more thing – this really is so good it can be used as all-over oil.
- Mustard oil is generally liquid even in cold winters and hence you can use it easily.
- It is still recommended to heat the mustard oil as it introduces extra warmth that is much needed by your body during chilblains.
Eating potato has its own set of advantages and disadvantages, but here we are talking about using potatoes as home remedies for chilblains and hence we don’t have to eat them. Potatoes can bring down the itching and inflammation caused by chilblains to a great extent, due to their anti-irritating and soothing properties. They are also good for treating blisters that develop with chilblains. You have to use them wisely and eating spicy potato chips is not going to help you in any way.
How to use potatoes as home remedies for chilblains
- The way we have done with onions is also the manner we need to do with potato slices.
- Here we need to add salt to the slices and then rub them. Alternatively, you can boil 1 or 2 potatoes in a glass of water for about 15 minutes.
- Allow the solution to cool down.
- Soak the affected area in the solution for about 10 minutes.
- You can do either of them in the morning and before going to sleepeveryday, making them an effective natural home remedies for chilblains.
Aloe vera gel is soothing pacifying gel that can be applied on almost every type of skin problem. Aloe plant is generally called first aid plant as it can be used in almost every skin ailment to give instant relief. It is so because of excellent skin repairing, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that aloe vera gel has. Due to all these it is the first thing that comes to our mind when we see the initiation of chilblains marked by redness. You just have to apply that gel swiftly on the skin affected by chilblains to see it vanishing very fast. It will definitely stop pain and reduce redness as it is one of the best natural home remedies for chilblains.
How to Use aloe vera?
- Slit an aloe vera leaf and obtain the gel. All you have to do is take an aloe vera leaf, tear it apart from the middle and the gel which comes out of it is what you need.
- Apply it on the affected areas and allow it to work for 15-20 minutes.
- Reapply the gel 4-5 times a day for faster relief from chilblains.
- Aloe vera contains Vitamin E, which is very good for all kinds of skin ailments including chilblains.
- If it is not possible to get the leaf, you can go for aloe vera ointment which can be taken from any grocery store, but go for the most natural one.
Many of us are big addicts to black tea, ginger tea and many other flavors of tea. And in winters it is the best beverage anyone can have, but have you very though of giving a healthy twist to the addiction of tea? Adding herbs to your cup of tea makes it really healthy drink. Herbal teas, the healthiest of all the home remedies for chilblains are an excellent way to combat the severity of chilblains. Drinking one or two cups of herbal teas everyday not only cures chilblains, but also fights against other diseases. Herbal tea is not only one of the home remedies for chilblains, but they also act as immunity enhancers.
How to Use?
- You can sue any of the herbal teas as all of them are not only healthy, but are excellent home remedies for chilblains.
- The most commonly recommended herbs used in making tea is chamomile tea. Chamomile tea is highly beneficial for curing chilblains
- Drinking a few cups of chamomile tea once a day helps in treating all the symptoms of chilblains.
- Peppermint tea is also considered useful in curing the aliments in the case of chilblains.
Those who don’t like herbal tea at all try out ginger tea and you will go mad over the taste as well as benefits as home remedies for chilblains. If taste is the only good thing about ginger tea, I would never have recommended it to you people. But I know the benefits of this as well as other home remedies for chilblains, and thus I know that ginger tea is something everyone should have in winters. People with chilblains must consume ginger because it boosts the metabolism in the body bringing back the body heat, making it really effective home remedies for chilblain. It enhances the blood circulation in the affected parts of the body thereby reducing the swelling and maintaining the heat loss. So, if not herbal teas as home remedies for chilblains, make sure you have room for ginger in your kitchen.
How to Use ginger?
- 2 spoons of ginger juice should be had along with honey 2-3 times a day in order to cure chilblains.
- Ginger tea should be consumed at least twice a day to raise the body heat and bringing back the circulation in the frozen areas.
- You can use ginger as one of the home remedies for chilblains anytime.
Egg white mixture
Egg white is also believed to give relief in chilblains, but we use it in combination with other home remedies for chilblains like glycerin, honey or flour. Doing this improves the healing and you will soon see your skin getting back to normal again.
How to use egg white in chilblains
- You can mix equal amounts of egg white, flour, and honey to make a thick paste.
- Then add some glycerine to the mixture.
- Apply this paste as an ointment to affected parts.
- Egg white is easily available, affordable and effective way to reduce theaffect of chilblains as it is a very effective natural home remedies for chilblains.
Chilblains are not life threatening but the level of irritation and pain they cause are enough to hamper your daily life as well as your work. For this reason you need the home remedies for chilblains. They are not only effective enough to give instant relief and fast cure, but they all are extremely easy to use. With all these tips and natural home remedy for chilblains, you can actually see it going within days rather than sitting for weeks to see them disappearing. You need home remedies for chilblains to cure chilblains is they occur once in a while, but if you know that you are a regular victim of the problem, you surely need something extra. You need a trick with which you can prevent the chilblains from hampering your work.
You can live your life normally with some simple exercises and massage. Poor blood circulation is the contributing factor leading to chilblains, and if you are a frequent sufferer of chilblains, then you must work on this. If you exercise regularly your blood will circulate to all parts of your body evenly. This will in turn make you less susceptible to chilblains. Exercise is the healthiest natural home remedies for chilblains. Apart from exercising, you can eliminate the need of home remedies for chilblains from your life with regular massage. Massage also has equally important role in improving circulation. With these two helps, you can stay away from chilblains even in coldest climate.