The sacs between the joints of shoulder, elbow, or knee appear to be swollen in bursitis. Although these were the common area which the disease affects, practically it can make victim any one of the 150 bursae present in the human body. Bursa is actually intended to reduce the friction between two bones of a joint. Inflammation in these bursae results in pain and stiffness near the joints, which increases with movement and pressure. This was only a brief about the problem and is enough for someone who just has heard the name. If you are suffering from bursitis and also want to get rid of it as soon as possible, you have to be aware of each and every aspect of the disease. Apart from home remedies for bursitis, there are two more components related to this bone problem which is to be understood by every bursitis patient. These two crucial aspects are symptoms and causes.
You might only know that pain is the only symptom of bursitis but there are much more discomforts that the bursitis patient has to go through. It is important to have a look at the symptoms because if you go for a cure in the medicinal field, the medicines start their work after the disease has done much damage. But this is not the case with home remedies for bursitis and the early you detect the problem; the easier it will be for the home remedies to cure it. Let us have a look at the common symptoms of bursitis.
- The acute pain is often preceded by stiffness in that particular joint. You will start feeling some unusual tightness in the joint that is soon going to become bursitis affected joint. If you experience this stiffness, you must ensure that it is bursitis or something else.
- There will be the pain in the joint. This pain may be acute right from the beginning of the problem, or it may also be mild and gradually increase. Also, it will hurt even more if you try to move the joint. Putting pressure on such joints also causes a great deal of pain.
- You will see redness and swelling in the joint which was stiff a few days ago. This will also increase the pain and swelling will make it almost impossible to move. If you use home remedies for bursitis at an early stage, you can surely avoid this stage of bursitis.
Symptoms are common and there is nothing to get surprised about, but do you know the real cause of bursitis? If you think you are aware of all the causes, can you name the infection that may cause bursitis? We all know pretty well that repeated moments of the same joint and probably in the same pattern, but there are also some other unusual and avoidable causes of bursitis. Certain injuries that put an excess of pressure all of a sudden on the joint are one of the leading causes of bursitis. Apart from this, aging is considered to be the main cause. We, unfortunately, cannot avoid aging as it is a universal truth, but yes, we can surely age without suffering from bursitis with the help of home remedies for bursitis.
These were the major causes, and in a few cases, it is seen that a type of infection also causes bursitis and it is then called septic bursitis. Arthritis is also considered as a culprit many times. Whatever is the cause, if not taken into account early, the symptoms may get worse over time introducing redness around the joint affected. The pain is sometimes acute and unbearable, and it is at this time when people saw concern. But at this stage, you will have to bear the pain as home remedies will take double the time to do your work t this delayed stage. The typical treatment for bursitis is to let the joint rest and not to apply any more pressure on that. Giving the fluid-filled sac some time to heal up is the best way to deal with bursitis. But apart from this, there are other ways like home remedies for bursitis that can help you in pain and also accelerate the healing process. One can go for traditional medication options if he wishes to do so, but all of them will be the pain relieving medicines and will have no impact on the problem causing pain. The problem can be well addressed with some very simple and easy home remedies for bursitis, so why not us them?
Here is the comprehensive list of home remedies for bursitis.
Home Remedies For Bursitis
Cut your calcium deposits by modifying your diet
If by bad luck you have got the problem, you should include some special foods in your diet to prevent calcium deposits around your joints. The most common reason behind bursitis is calcium deposits and the best way you can cut these is by modification in your diet, the easiest home remedies for bursitis. These calcium deposits can be slow, but naturally, removed by altering your body’s pH level to become more acidic. You can also temporarily increase the intake of foods that increase the acidic level in your body. All types of meats be it beef, chicken, or fish can solve the purpose. If you are vegetarian then you can eat rice, cornmeal, wheat, pasta to uplift the acid levels. One important point to note here is: eating the right food and not eating something that is unfavorable in bursitis, both are home remedies for bursitis.
Here is a list of what you should eat and what you should avoid in order to help yourself with bursitis:
- Take one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. Drink this mixture daily to get the calcium deposits clear gradually.
- Avoid fasting as it will worsen the problem, and also try not to eat a lot of food after giving many gaps between meals of skipping a meal.
- Drink plenty of water. Yes, plain water has a lot of benefits for bones and other parts of your body.
- Foods that have omega 3 fatty acid in high amount are also very helpful in bursitis. Don’t panic if you are a vegetarian as there are many other sources of bursitis other than fishes. Canola, walnuts, and flaxseeds are some of the other rich foods that are rich in omega 3.
- Apart from these foods specifically for treatment for bursitis, you can have dairy products, cereals, and foods that are high n protein.
For all the patients who have had it for the first time, ice is a real pain reliever. Giving a cold compress to bruises makes them disappear faster and also reduces inflammation. Almost all the doctors recommend you using this and also some other home remedies for bursitis. You also might have tried it earlier. The cold temperature helps bring down the initial swelling and reduces pain by numbing the affected area. Pain may return after a few hours but you can repeat it as many time as you feel like. The ice pack is the best way to give cold compress as it not only reduces the acute pain that is common in bursitis but also works on the other symptoms like tenderness and inflammation.
Using ice pack in bursitis
- Using the ice pack on bursitis is very easy. But home remedies for bursitis does not recommend you to apply the ice cubes directly.
- The better way to apply this home remedy for bursitis is by taking some ice cubes and wrapping them in a cloth, as applying ice directly on the skin is not a good idea.
- Rub that cloth gently on the affected joint for a few minutes, and you will surely get relief from pain and swelling.
- You can do the same twice in a day till you find the bursitis symptoms disappearing.
- If you feel relieved in pain and other symptoms, it won’t harm even if you use this thrice a day.
Castor oil pack
The father of holistic medicine-Edgar Cayce recommended using castor oil for bone problems like arthritis and bursitis. He had a reason justifying his recommendation. Castor oil pack as home remedies for bursitis can reduce inflammation in the joints, it can also make the pain less severe and at the same time, it improves the circulation. Castor oil pack is used to treat any health ailments including bursitis and other severe issues. Bursitis also can be dealt with castor oil pack as one of the home remedies for bursitis. One of the most economical and efficient methods, as well as natural and effective home remedies for bursitis, it works because of delivering the healing components of castor oil directly into body tissues by a castor oil pack.
How to use castor oil pack as home remedy for bursitis
- The easiest way to use castor oil as home remedies for bursitis is to directly apply the oil on the part affected by bursitis.
- You can either heat the oil and use it when lukewarm or simply apply it cold.
- Alternatively, you can make you own castor oil pack at home. You will need, of course, castor oil, a heating pad or hot water bottle, an empty bin liner or plastic wrap, a large piece of cotton and an old towel.
- Take the old towel and soak it in hot water for some time.
- Spread the castor oil evenly on the wet towel, but don’t sprinkle excess of the oil.
- Put the cloth around the part affected by bursitis and secure it with either tape or a plastic wrap. To help hold the pack in place and to keep oil from getting on surrounding surfaces, the towel is wrapped with a large plastic wrap.
Hot and cold treatment
The first of all the home remedies for bursitis, i.e. ice pack, was for those who have had it for the first time. But if you have had the painful episode in past as well, rather than going for the ice only treatment, you can choose the more effective method, and that is a combination of chilling ice and moist heat, another home remedy for bursitis. It may sound strange, but trust me; it is going to be tremendously effective. Alternate hot and cold treatment episodes are like a boost to circulation and hence will give instant relief. Yes, you will feel a bit uncomfortable, but that discomfort will not be greater than the pain in bursitis for sure. Let us see how to use the hot and cold treatment.
How to do hot and cold treatment for bursitis
- Take some ice cubes and wrap them in a cloth.
- Put them on the affected joint and keep the cold cloth wrap there for almost 15 minutes.
- If you find it difficult to do it continuously, you can remove it for a few seconds and again keep it there.
- After 15minute give it moist steam for about the same time continuously.
- This therapy consisting of alternative hot and cold treatment can be repeated twice daily till you find relief.
Turmeric has a component named curcumin that is said to reduce bursitis pain and this component is also responsible for many other medicinal properties of turmeric. It has got excellent anti-inflammatory properties also that enhance the healing process inside the body acting as home remedies for bursitis. Turmeric is something you would see almost everywhere. The entire world is going mad about the amazing medicinal and therapeutic properties of turmeric. It can treat everything from a small cut on your skin to the wounds in your intestine to the acute pain in bursitis. Turmeric now needs no explanation and we all know that it does wonders for our health and in treating diseases. While dealing with bursitis also one can count on turmeric. It is one of the most preferred products used by humans for healing purposes since ancient times, and from today onwards would be one of the most preferred home remedies for bursitis.
How to use turmeric as a home remedy for bursitis
- Although drinking it raw with milk may not be a much tasty choice, but it has many health benefits.
- Boil a glass of water before you go to bed every night.
- If you want a speedy recovery, mix half tablespoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk and drink it daily.
- The taste may not be that good, but it will kill bursitis caused by aging as well as by any type of infection.
Peppermint as a natural pain reliever in bursitis
Peppermint also is one of the very famous home remedies for bursitis. Peppermint contains several anti-inflammatories, antibacterial and antispasmodic properties, and hence is one of the best home remedies for bursitis. You are familiar with peppermint, right? But peppermint tea is quite uncommon. Peppermint tea is one of the herbal teas which are known to be excellent home remedies for bursitis. Its soothing properties can reduce inflammation of the joints. Peppermint tea is used to control the pain and takes care of whatever is going on wrong internally, but you can also use peppermint oil externally. Topical application of the essential oil acts as a natural pain reliever. Let us see in how many different ways we can use peppermint.
How to use peppermint
- If you like to have tea, boil a cup of water and add peppermint tea bag to it for about 10 minutes.
- You can have two to three cups of the same in a day.Another option is to simply chew some peppermint leaves.
- You can also take standardized, enteric coated peppermint tablets. Usually, 1 tablet 2 or 3 times daily is recommended, but it is best to consult a doctor before taking it.
- Enteric coated tablets will help avoid an excess of pain.
- Alternatively, you can also apply peppermint oil on the joint in pain and occasional massage with this magnificent oil also makes things better.
Adding a small amount of ginger to the tea adds much more taste and flavor to it. But more than jus a flavor enhancer, ginger is a health booster and also home remedies for bursitis. Due to the unbelievable antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties that ginger carries, it can help us in fighting the acute pain and swelling, proving its worth as potent home remedies for bursitis. Apart from this, it is also helpful in enhancing the immunity of human body. This means it saves you from many day to day minor infections as well as some painful diseases like bursitis.
How to use ginger in bursitis?
- Grate a small amount of ginger and add it to the cup of hot water you are going to use to make tea.
- Strain the ginger and add the tea bag to hot water. Drink it daily once to keep the bone related problems like bursitis at bay.
- You can have it in grated or crushed form mixed with equal amount of honey if you do not prefer to use the tea and soup ideas both.
- You can even add ginger to your soups and veggies if you don’t like tea, or don’t drink any kind of tea regularly.
With the ultimate and tremendously effective home remedies for bursitis, you would easily fight off the pain and discomfort caused by the joint problem. Treating the problem is easy with the help of home remedies for bursitis now, but for the prevention, you need to do some extra efforts. And the perfect combination of home remedies for bursitis to treat the problem, and some tips that not only improve the effectiveness of the home remedies for bursitis but also act as a preventative measure is the holistic cure for bursitis. If you ignore the problem and let things go on waiting for the pain to disappear one fine morning, then you are not doing justice to your body. This is the universal suggestion you will get from everyone with whom you discuss your problem.
The moment you encounter some type of swelling around your joint, first make sure what it exactly is. After that, the first thing that you should do is to take proper and strict rest. Whether the bursa affected is near your hip, or the shoulder joint, or somewhere else, just do not try to put any type of pressure on it. Every small movement of the joint you make will add to the irritation and pain. You can use an arm sling in case of shoulder bursitis, and take bed rest if it is your hip joint. As soon as a bursa becomes inflamed, you must rest that part of your body. For the home remedies for bursitis to work effectively, just make sure you keep the affected joint absolutely still.
Do not think that working on it will give you some relief, as it is the common belief with many bone related problems. Bursitis is one of those joint ailments in which movement will exponential increase the problem. You must be thinking why am I putting so much stress on having rest? Because I have seen many people with swelling in the shoulder joint, slinging their hand and rotating it every now and then, with a notion that it will lead to faster healing. You don’t repeat the same as it is crystal clear that if you have bursitis, rest is mandatory.
Although the symptoms may disappear on their own if we have proper rest within a few weeks, they may visit the same joint again anytime. Reoccurrences are not uncommon in bursitis; hence you should choose the way you want to treat your problem. These natural home remedies for bursitis will give instant and long lasting relief in the pain bursitis patient experience, and also decreases the frequency with which the disease hits you back once again.