For bed sores, it is said that they don’t happen, but they are allowed to happen. Bed sores, also known as pressure sores or pressure ulcers, are kind of wounds on your body parts and arise due to sitting in one position in the wheelchair for a long time or lying bed. You might not agree with the first statement, but it is true to every extent. If you can move even only a few parts of your body, then your efforts are more than enough to prevent the bedsores and treat them at an early stage. If the patient is not at all in the condition to move, then it is the duty of the caretaker to sense the changes in the color of the skin and use appropriate home remedies for bed sores.
Yes, with home remedies for bed sores, you can not only treat bed sores but prevent them from creating trouble to the person who already is not in a condition to bear another health issue. It is understood that it is very unfortunate to see someone on the bed due to some reason. But to add on the sufferings, bed sores come to bother the patient even more. Bed sores occur if there is an excess of pressure on one part of your body. Due to the inability to move, ulcers develop on the skin, that we call bed sores. Though Bedsores are common among elderly or senior persons, it can also affect people who are in bedridden condition, or in a coma or are immobile due to any other reason. Staying in a particular position for a long time affects the skin and blood supply to that area too.
If someone is in bed, he/ she might be already taking a bunch of pills ever time. In this case taking medicine for one more problem is something you also won’t like more, especially when you can heal the disease with the help of some simple yet effective home remedies for bed sores. Also, no medicines are reported to be effective in bed sores. Hence you have to use some of the great home remedies for bed sores. The following are some of the best home remedies for bed sores, but only you are aware of the condition of the patient on which they are going to be used. The effectiveness and applicability of some home remedies for bed sores will totally depend on the extent up to which the patient can move.
For instance, we have included drinking a type of tea in the list of home remedies for bed sores, but a patient who is in comma cannot drink tea. But for them, you can wash and clean the sores with one or more home remedies for bed sores. So, the selection of appropriate solution will depend on the condition of the patient. Apart from the applicability, all of the home remedies for bed sores are equally effective. Have a look at all the remedial actions you should take to help the patients suffering from bed sores.
Home Remedies For Bed Sores
Aloe vera is the first name on the list of home remedies for bed sores, and we have a reason. Aloe vera juice is a great replacement for not just one or two but many artificially synthesized medicines and creams resting in your cabinet. Aloe vera contains over seven different antioxidants and reduces inflammation. To cut it short we can say that Aloe Vera is and all round health elixir which is the perfect solution to countless health and skin issues, and bed sores is surely one of them. Using aloe vera in many different ways make it one of the best home remedies for bed sores. Aloe vera can be safely used for treating anything wrong occurring on the skin. It has the power to heal almost every type of skin problem and bed sores are no exception.
Aloe can be effective in preventing any type of infection that can occur with bed sores and make the patient’s condition even worse. It is the best natural home remedy for bed sores. It reduces the dryness of the affected area and hence reduces itching as well.
How to use aloe vera for bed sores
- You can apply the aloe gel that comes packed in a tube and for a much better effect, get an aloe leaf.
- Get a fresh aloe leaf directly from the plant and cut open the aloe vera leaf and extract the gel out of it.
- The gel is present in such a huge amount in a single leaf that it would drip down from the leaf cover on its own.
- Apply that gel gently on the bed sores and let it be there and do its works for a few minutes.
- Alternatively, simply buy a cream or ointment that contain aloe vera as a major component and regular application of this also will work for the patient of bed sores.
Coconut oil is the next and equally best home remedies for bed sores. Before being a hoe remedy for bed sores, coconut oil is magical oil with tremendous health benefits. It was largely used as cooking oil in the Caribbean, Southeast Asia, and North America, but now the entire world is falling for it after seeing the long list of its benefits. Once you start using this ultimate oil for skin, soon you will also realize that something incredible would happen with your skin, it would definitely become better. So, no matter you have bed sores or do not have them, coconut oil can be used by anyone and everyone.
Coconut oil is rich in medium-chain fatty acids. It will keep the skin away from damage caused by constant pressure, emerging as one of the best effective home remedies for bed sores. Not only this, it will also improve blood circulation and reduces the chances of sores being developed.
How to use coconut oil in bed sores
- Coconut oil can be used in many ways. You can use this magnificent oil as a massage oil, or use it for cooking purposes.
- In the case of bed sores, the only option we have is massaging, and if the patient can eat something like soup, you can also add it to that.
- You can massage your bed sores and the nearby area with coconut oil two- three times in a day.
- It will also provide the moisture required by the skin.
Zinc makes the wound heal faster by boosting the immune system. It is necessary for everybody, but especially for those who are literally in bed to have a strong immunity to fight bed sores and any other infections. Zinc is the fundamental of home remedies for bed sores. The blind believers of medicinal cure like Merck Manual also have confessed about the healing properties of zinc. In several studies, bed sores are linked with malnutrition, and zinc is found to be the most common deficient element in several patients. Hence by taking zinc supplements, or food that is high in zinc content, we can solve a major problem of the patients already struggling with some medical tragedy.
If you use zinc as home remedies for bed sores, you not only can prevent the bedsores from occurring, but zinc has an ability to make wounds heal faster. So, in case you have developed bed sores, or any dear one is going through that tough phase, zinc can make you recover really fast. Apart from bed sores and accelerated wound healing, zinc also is used to treat diarrhea in children and also ensures proper growth. You child if is zinc deficient may not have a proper growth. So, zinc has many uses but let us see how it is used in home remedies for bed sores.
How to use zinc as home remedy for bed sores
- You should take at least 15 mg of zinc every day in any form possible. This amount is enough to prevent the occurrence of bed sores, and if you are already suffering from the problem, you might need a higher dose.
- If you are planning to take it in supplement form, a one-time dose of 40 mg and repeating it thrice every day will definitely help in healing bed sores.
Another home remedies for bed sores popular in alternative medicine are comfrey leaves and comfrey oil. In the past century, comfrey was used in to treat stomach problems like ulcers, heavy menstrual periods, diarrhea, bloody urine, persistent cough, and even cancer and chest pain. At that time the only form in which comfrey was used was as tea. Later on it was seen that the benefits of comfrey were even more appealing when used on skin. But what makes comfrey leaves and comfrey oil good home remedies for bed sores?
Have you heard of allantoin? Until and unless you are a medical expert or a skin healer, you might not have heard of this. Allantoin is the component that is responsible for skin cells growth. In bed sores, the skin cells are damaged, and the faster the cells develop, the sooner the damaged cells will be shredded. Once the dead cells are out, your skin will be perfectly normal again. Allantoin is present in comfrey in huge amount and hence it is one of the best home remedies for bed sires. Both the root and leaves of comfrey are rich in medicinal properties that can help in regeneration of the tissues. It can also reduce pain and inflammation.
How to use comfrey as home remedy for bed sores
- Although the oral consumption of the herb is not considered to be safe, but we here have to use it topically, and it is proved for safety when used topically on the skin.
- Mix equal amounts of powdered comfrey leaves and slippery elm. Add a little water to make a paste.
- Apply it on the sores and cover it with a bandage. Leave it on overnight.
- The next morning, clean the wound with saline water.
- Alternatively you can apply comfrey oil on the skin affected by bed sores.
Honey is one of the perfect home remedies for bed sores to treat mild bed sores. It has natural antiseptic properties and also soothes the skin experiencing pain and stiffness. Application of honey on the affected area can accelerate healing and helps you getting relief from pain and redness caused due to bed sores. To some extent, it can also reduce the chances of infection. The benefits of honey for skin are very well known today, and we are using it since ages to add glow to our face, or to heal acne. It is also a part of many cosmetics these days because it has the capability to heal and rejuvenate the skin tissues. Almost all types of honey are good home remedies for bed sores, but how to select the best out of many types available?
Since we are talking about honey, all this is important to understand that the number of brands selling honey world wide is just like a group of bees- uncountable. It is our bad luck that the industrialization which we consider as the symbol of modernization has affected not the major things but also has a significant negative impact on the minor health aids like honey. So, better go for high quality natural honey that has all the medicinal capabilities in it.
How to use honey
- You can use honey alone or in mixture with turmeric powder to enhance the healing capabilities. Turmeric also is a powerhouse of skin healing, and hence we will talk about it as home remedies for bed sores separately.
- Add turmeric powder to honey and make a thick paste, enough to be appliedon the entire area affected by bed sores.
- Follow this by bandaging it and repeat the same practice twice daily.
- You will soon start feeling better.
Goldenseal has been used for a long time by Native Americans for healing purpose. And now it is used for the benefit of bed sores patients. In alternative medicine, the herb goldenseal is often recommended for treating bed sores and many other health aliments. It provides a soothing effect on the sores and also helps reduce pain and inflammation. Goldenseal, no doubt, is one of the best home remedies for bed sores, plus, its antiseptic properties help prevent infection. Do you know what makes goldenseal antiseptic in nature? The three alkaloids present in goldenseal- berberine, hydrastine and canadine makes it a good treatment of bed sores. These alkaloids make the product antiseptic in nature and also add anti inflammatory properties to them.
How to use goldenseal in bed sores treatment
- Prepare a cup of herbal tea by steeping 1 teaspoon of goldenseal powder in 1 cup of hot water.
- Strain and allow it to cool.
- Use the tea to clean the wound 2 times daily.
- This will help dry up the bed sores quickly.
- Alternatively, prepare a mixture with 1 teaspoon goldenseal powder and the oil of a few vitamin E capsules.
- Apply it to the affected area 3 times a day.
- Goldenseal pills are sold at health stores, the powder of its root is also available in tincture form.
- It is recommended to take 200mg to 300mg of goldenseal thrice daily until the bed sores disappear.
If you have already developed bed sores, you need to heal them fast and at the same time should ensure that they are infection free and clean. To manage this entire thing one can make use of saline water to wash the area. This will not only help to exfoliate the dead skin and make way for the new skin cells, but it is an excellent way to maintain hygiene. Nothing can be easier than using saline water as home remedies for bed sores to prevent secondary infections. Bed sores that are not cleaned properly are more prone to infection and inflammation. Natural home remedies for bed sores suggest that salted water reduces excess fluid and sheds off the loose dead skin.
How to use salted water as home remedy for bed sores
- Make the solution saline by adding a few tablespoons of salt in a glass of boiling water.
- Clean the areaaffect by bed sores after the solution cools down, the cover it with a bandage once it is dry.
- You can repeat this 2-3 times in a day.
- Alternatively, adding a pinch of slat to the water the patient is bathing in can also help up to a certain extent.
- So, if you can make the patient soak in the bath tub, add a teaspoon of salt to the bath tub, and if the patient is still unable to move, simply clean the wounds with saline water.
Turmeric is regarded as a ‘golden herb’ in Ayurveda due to its various pharmacological properties such anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-microbial, anti-cancer, immuno- modulator etc. It has been used in India for thousands of years as a spice and medicinal herb. And now in every corner of the world it is gaining popularity for its antibiotic nature. Not only it has benefits for your overall helth, but turmeric is an excellent treat to your skin. Turmeric has more medicinal properties than we can describe. Be it preventing cancer or fighting with skin allergies, turmeric has its own stake. In treating home remedies for bed sores as well, turmeric can accelerates the healing process of bed sores. Turmeric also has unique anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antioxidant properties that prepare your body to fight with any type of infection.
How to use turmeric as bed sores remedy
- You can apply the solution of turmeric on the wounds and bed sores, or you can help your internal immunity to increase by drinking turmeric milk.
- After cleaning the area with saline water, cover the area with dry turmeric before applying
- Adding it to milk is also easy, boil a glass of milk and addhalf tablespoon of turmeric to it.
- Drink it two times daily, and get rid of bed sores soon.
Apart from these home remedies for bed sores, there is a need to take care of the following things while trying to get someone out of the bed sores, or trying to heal your own self.
- Lying down in the same position for too long is not advisable for patients. They should change the position of their body every now and then.
- This is thebest natural home remedy for bed sores. This will reduce the stress and pressure on the skin that can lead to sores and also irritate existing sores.
- If you make efforts and try to move, it reduces the possibilities of developing new
- In case the patient can move the upper body with enough upper body strength, they should reposition themselves every few hours.
- Even if you are onwheelchair, try to move your body parts as much as you can comfortably. If you cannot do it on your own, take help from someone else, but the key is to move.
- Apart from this, maintain hygiene. Make sure you use a mild sop while having bath, and add salt to the water you bath in occasionally.
Now this is a complete and comprehensive solution to bed sores. A perfect combination of the home remedies for bed sores to heal the wounds, and the tips get rid of bed sores fast will definitely make your life better. With these home remedies for bed sores, you can not only heal the existing bed sores, but also prevent new ones from occurring and causing pain to the already suffering patients. With only your effort, patience and dedication, the home remedies for bed sores can be implemented correctly. So help yourself if you wont to get yourself healed.